To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
This extension moves the tab bar to the left or right of the browser window, with the tabs stacked vertically. This is e.g. suited to wide screens.
It is very lean and tested compatible with a lot of tab-related extensions, including TabMixPlus.
About this Add-on
In the preferences you can choose:
- The width of the tab bar
- The window side where the bar is positionned
- The alignment of the title text of tabs
- The position of the favicon and of the close button on tabs (in version 2.7)
- Whether a small displacement effect is applied on the selected tab to enhance visibility and feedback (some people dislike the effect so I provided a way to switch it off)
Tab drag-and-drop is correctly handled (but the "tab drop indicator" is not shown).
This extention has been tested with "Aging tabs", "Colorfull tabs", "Basics", "Close button in tab strip" and various other similar extensions. In particular:
***It is compatible with TabMixPlus*** with the following caveats:
- Try to set the same width/position/etc. settings in TMP and VTb, because the two extensions might fight over conflicting settings, and which one is in effect could change unreliably.
- Some have reported that the setting "Display > Tabbar > New tab button" of TMB prevents VTB to set the size of the tab bar). Your mileage may vary.
- Currently, vertical scrolling of the bar (when you have more than 25-30 tabs open) is not working with TabMixPlus because TMP assumes the tab bar is horizontal (it works perfectly in Firefox without TMP); fixing this problem is possible only by patching a sizeable part of TMP from my add-on, and I'm wary of the compatibility problems that could arise, esp. when a new TMP is released, and the dependency hell implied. I'm investigating a solution.
Don't hesitate to provide feedback and/or bug reports !
If you find something which doesn't work PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL to the support address; a review isn't enough since I cannot ask for more information, which are the settings, what extensions are installed, etc... and I'm currently very busy so I cannot check often for new reviews.
When people send me enough info, BY EMAIL, I try to fix the problem in one or two days. See developer comments for more information about planned features.
Reviews are welcome here, and so are bug reports or feature requests (preferably by mail so I can answer/ask for more info); I usually respond quickly to those, and indeed a lot of the features were added because somebody asked. My e-mail is provided in the add-on info.
If you are an extension developer, you are also welcome to work on the code and send patches. There is a git repository of the add-on at http://repo.or.cz/w/verttabbar.git
Since version 2.4 the add-on has localization support (thanks to Goofy of BabelZilla), so translations are welcome.
You can send me patches or even send me your repo.or.cz user id if you want to have commit access.
Next major version (3.0) will introduce a way to toggle between vertical bar mode, and standard bar mode without a need for browser restart. I'm not really sure of the UI I will provide, but I'd like to have an "all windows toggle" and a "only this window toggle".
Don't expect 3.0 soon, I'm really busy currently.
On the other hand, there WILL be 2.x versions for bug fixes and not too big feature requests. I really want to give to you the add on you want, so keep the wishes and bug reports coming (by email please, even if you also put a review; I'm too busy to check often for new reviews).