To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
About this Add-on
Tranquility Reader is a Firefox extension that improves the readability of web articles.
Tranquility removes unnecessary elements in a webpage, and provides a simple and tranquil reading experience. Similar functionality is available through Readability or iReader or "Reader Mode" in Firefox.
Tranquility 3.0.x has be rewritten using the new WebExtensions technology that will be required for all addons from Firefox version 57 onwards. Current users of Tranquility will see regression in functionality including:
- loss of their default settings/preferences (need to manually set all your preferences)
- loss of keyboard shortcuts
- No drop downs options to select predefined fonts and colors (you can use https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_picker.asp to pick a suitable color code - thanks to user JA for feedback on this)
- No background image support
- Removal of wikipedia and wiktionary access
To use tranquility you can:
- Click on the navigation-bar icon to transform the page
- Compatible with NoScript
- Save content offline for reading later. The tranquility view is saved locally on your computer
- Ability to export/import the offline content.
- Ability to customize default font, font-size, font color, background color, and width of the reading area
- Add/edit notes/annotations to portions of the offline content; collate annotations with context for a summary of all your notes and annotations.
- Unobtrusive Menu at the bottom of the screen (displayed on clicking on the (+) symbol on the bottom right corner of the screen) provides additional features
- Additional links are now available through a "More Links" button in the Menu at the bottom of the screen
- Left clicking on a link in the Tranquility view will also open the link URL in the Tranquility view in the current tab
License & Copyright:
Tranquility is provided under GPLv3 license.
Copyright (C) 2012-2017 Arun Kunchithapatham
Please send any feedback, bug reports, enhancement requests to "arunk" at "ushnisha" dot "com"
Release Notes are available via the support website listed
* Added a few "preset" configurations (color schemes and font colors) rather than having to customize each option manually. This is experimental at this time; will explore the option of allowing users to import a configuration file for this in the future.
* Changed the background page to "about:blank" (instead of mozilla.org) when loading offline pages from the options window.
* Minor bug fix to remove the progress bar which was not being removed in some corner cases.
* bug fix to correctly load original page when toggling Tranquility mode for an offline page.
* Bug fix to handle loading mixed security content pages correctly
* Bug fix to handle pre-formatted pages correctly
The Development Channel lets you test an experimental new version of this add-on before it's released to the general public. Once you install the development version, you will continue to get updates from this channel. To stop receiving development updates, reinstall the default version from the link above.
Caution: Development versions of this add-on have not been reviewed by Mozilla.
- Version 3.0.4beta