- by Matthew, 3 years agoRated 4 out of 5Simple tool that does the job. Looks nice.
One caveat - I am one of the people for whom the cursor doesn't immediately focus the search box, and it can be a bit infuriating sometimes to press the shortcut only to have to move the mouse anyway. Windows 8.1 FF 57.0.4. Still a keeper for adding basic functionality the browser lacks, and for going some way towards mitigating the issues of having hundreds of tabs!
Developer responseposted 3 years agoI'm so tired of this bug, sorry that it affects you. The best we can do right now is wait for someone to finish submitting a patch for this bug, since it's a Firefox issue: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1324255
If you're comfortable with coding and building an npm project, you can try: you can try extending the timeout values in this function https://github.com/reblws/tab-search/blob/master/src/core/pages/popup/side-effects.js#L81in focusSearchInputWorkaround and see if that might help.
- by Firefox user 13529122, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5Input might not focus when the search popup is activated for certain users (Windows users mainly report this)
it's true :-(
and thats why uninstall :-(
beatuful idea - bad realization.
- by Firefox user 10620720, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5Pretty great. However, a couple of issues:
1) the extension icon needs to be visible for this to work (if you hide it completely, the keyboard shortcut doesn't work, and if you hide if behind the arrows, the animations take a long time to show the list)
2) the first time you press down or right arrow to focus the first item, it doesn't work - you need to press it twice
- by Firefox user 13459908, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5Pretty great so far except that unchecking the "Display total number of tabs above the popup icon" setting doesn't seem to stick. It turns off the popup icon for a while, but then stops working in new tabs, other tabs, or even the same tab if other tabs are closed or just switching to a different tab. The tab popup reappears pretty much the minute you do anything tab wise.
Another bug I experienced is that if you move the TabSearch button into the Overflow Menu from it's default position on the toolbar through Firefox's "Customize", and then use the hotkey to activate/toggle TabSearch, the cursor doesn't automatically focus on the textbox and you need to manually click it to start searching.
- by M. Samuel, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5So far so good but I'd appreciate if the cursor flashes right away in the search box instead of placing it manually ourselves, so that we start typing right away when we use the keyboard shortcut or clicking the extension icon.This sounds like a bug, the input should be focused right away once you open the popup.
I know at least one other user raised the point https://github.com/reblws/tab-search/issues/13 here, but I'm having trouble replicating it.
Could you let me know you browser version & OS? You can also contact me by email or that GitHub issue (if you have a GitHub account) if that makes it any easier for you.
- by Firefox user 13442481, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5Overall does a great job for the intended task!
Fixing a few details would be really nice:
- Allow rebinding the list popup hotkey.
- When typing to narrow down a tab search, the first item in the list should be highlighted.
- Allow defining hotkeys for moving up and down in the list (besides the arrow keys.)
I am coming from Chrome, and the equivalent plugin I use is called Quick Tabs. It also searches history / bookmarks if the search begins with a space.
(Not sure how to reply, so I updated the review to include other suggestions. Thanks for the great plugin!)What else do you think is missing?
Thanks for updating your review with the suggestions.
1) Rebinding the popup key isn't possible in Firefox yet unfortunately. It'll be possible in future Firefox versions but I don't know exactly when. All we can do now is watch for the progress on this: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1303384
2) Pressing enter from the search input should enter the first item in the tab list, but having a visual indicator to make this more obvious is a great suggestion.
3) Another good idea. Will definitely add this.
W.r.t to history and bookmarks, I'd love to add them. My main concern is presenting them in a way that doesn't clutter up the search results too much. Here's an open issue on GitHub regarding bookmarks: https://github.com/reblws/tab-search/issues/20 . If you have any more suggestions don't hesitate to contact me by email or comment in the issue tracker! https://github.com/reblws/tab-search/issues