Developer responseposted 5 years ago
This was an oversight on my part, since I don't access to the Android version. The add-on will be officially declared as non-compatible with Android in the following version.
- Rated 3 out of 5by Tony, 3 months agoI was really hoping the addon allowed switching containers through the context menu (right click), but the development of this is inactive and the author is not interested in supporting it.
Hoping someone can fork the code and add that!
Developer responseposted 3 months agoIt was never the intention of this add-on to allow people to switch containers through the tab context menu. At no point in its development this was ever considered as part of its roadmap. The functionality was always limited to just the one button on the menu bar, which is what the add-on aimed for, and which it has continuously been able to do without issue. The development of this add-on is not "inactive" but rather "finished for the time being."
I'm not responsible for people's wishes for this add-on to do more than it ever intended to do, and users of this add-on aren't entitled to demand more features when they were never promised or considered. I'm only responsible for making this add-on do what it purportedly aims to do, which it already does.
More importantly, the official "Multi-Account Containers" add-on by Mozilla, and further updates to the browser itself, have made this issue — and my add-on itself — entirely obsolete. You can at this point right-click on a tab and find a menu which allows you to switch containers. You don't need anything more than the base Firefox browser and Mozilla's official add-on, which you'd need anyway since that's the only way to set containers up.
- Rated 5 out of 5by Zeeno, 7 months agoExactly what i was looking for.
Better than the multi-account container extension from mozilla(I just use it to "manage" my containers).
It's just one click to show all containers and one another to open tabs in it.
- Rated 3 out of 5by subanana, 2 years agonice does what it says, but unable to re-arrange the entries :( disappointed
Developer responseposted 2 years agoThis add-on is not, and doesn't intend to be, a replacement for the official Mozilla Multi-Account Containers add-on, which is the tool you should be using to manage your Firefox containers. Switch Container will never be a container manager, as that would be out of the scope of what the add-on was made for, and would bring bloat to a piece of software intended to only do exactly what it says on the tin, nothing more, nothing less. It's therefore recommended that you install and use the Multi-Account Container add-on by Mozilla for container management.
- Rated 3 out of 5by cello, 3 years agoSwitch tab to a container works but I am wondering what is it doing differently from the default Firefox "Reopen in Container" function when I right-click on a tab? Is it just a different gui to do the same thing?
Developer responseposted 3 years agoThis add-on was developed and released way before Mozilla ever added that "Reopen in Container" option in the tab context menu; a year and a half, approx. Now it only serves as the same thing but in its own button on the toolbar. Maybe that has some use to people, maybe it doesn't, but I will ultimately keep it available for legacy purposes and for people who prefer older versions of Firefox for whatever reason.
- Rated 5 out of 5by Ruben, 3 years agoThis is so useful for me - having different 'hats' and organisations I do work for I use it every day. Also for testing websites with different user-roles, and for general privacy, its invaluable. The multi-account container tool by itself doesn't cut it because inevitably open tabs in the wrong account. One improvement - if it worked on a blank tab - ie when you first open a new tab, it could already reload in the profile you want, then I could remove the multi-account button all together, that would be nice.
- Rated 4 out of 5by Ninja, 4 years agoGood, but it takes a while to load the container list for the first time in the same session. I have about 10 containers but it takes 2 second to load.
It has to load again every time you restart Firefox. Other addons do not have such a lag.
- Rated 5 out of 5by Giraldi, 4 years agoMust-have, definitely! If only it can switch containers without reloading, though.
Developer responseposted 4 years agoDue to limitations on what add-ons are allowed to do related to web security, tabs can't actually change containers. This add-on is a work around this limitation: it's not changing the tab, but rather duplicating the tab into a new one that comes inside a container. It's therefore inevitable for it to reload the page and also lose the tab's history.
- Rated 3 out of 5by Cyberknight, 4 years agoI used to love this add-on, until I found out that it doesn't work on Firefox 52 ESR (which I have to use at work, as it has Windows Vista installed, not upgradable). At home, I still used it, until I discovered a fork of it, "Switch Container Plus", which is much bigger in size (34kB against 15kB), but also has a better functionality (for example, SCP works on "new tabs", while SC never did).
- Rated 5 out of 5by Alexey Murz Korepov, 5 years agoVery useful on desktop, but don't switch containers on Android version
Developer responseposted 5 years agoThis was an oversight on my part, since I don't access to the Android version. The add-on will be officially declared as non-compatible with Android in the following version.