Why was Stop YouTube Autoplay created?
I use the middle mouse button to open several videos in background tabs - from search results, recommended videos etc. These would all start playing as they loaded, which was annoying and forced me to go to each tab and stop each video one-by-one.
There are lots of add-ons that can stop videos from autoplaying, but in my experience, all of them are flawed in one way or another, so I tried to make one that doesn't have those flaws. And unlike some other YouTube tweaks, this add-on only does one thing, but it does that well.
Another major goal was to make the add-on restartless, because restarting your browser is annoying, and it really shouldn't be needed for a simple add-on like this.
In addition, there are some extra features to allow you to fine-tune the behavior to your browsing habits:
- Except for the first one, videos in a playlist play automatically, so you can, for example, play a music playlist in the background. This can be disabled with in the settings.
- Pause only videos loaded in background tabs, and let videos autoplay in the foreground tab
- With this option you get the best of both worlds - you can open multiple videos in the background and they won't start playing, but if you navigate to another video in your current tab, you don't have to click play.
- Automatically start a video when you switch to the tab
- Once you decide you want to watch a video you have loaded in another tab, you have to switch to the tab and then click play. With this option, the add-on will automatically start the video when you switch to the tab.
What's next for Stop YouTube Autoplay
Suggestions for new features are welcome!
Support for other video sharing sites that have annoying autoplaying videos (Dailymotion in particular).
Trying to find an even more efficient way to prevent autoplay.
About the Developer
|User since||April 29, 2012|
|Number of add-ons developed||1 add-on|
|Average rating of developer's add-ons||Rated 3 out of 5 stars|