Rated 4.3 out of 5
4.3 Stars out of 5
- by Firefox user 15329198, a month agoRated 4 out of 5For the moment, I don't really know what to think about it, the application is very interesting on paper but seems to be much too recent and little known to be used, which is normal, applications of this type require work, money and time.
In concrete terms, what is SQRL used for today for us users? The problem is that the site "https://sqrl.grc.com/" seems to be the only one compatible with this SQRL to identify itself instead of an email, I consult a hundred sites, regularly all the same and I have seen none, which propose to connect with SQRL, so, yes it takes time, but I think it would be wise to provide us with a list of compatible sites because for the moment, well it is useless! Be careful, I am not criticizing the application, which is very interesting and could become popular in the future and revolutionize online security, but we are really talking about the future because the application still needs to be more concrete and, above all, we need to be able to use it.
- by Firefox user 15076516, 5 months agoRated 4 out of 5I installed this app because I was keen on trying out SQRL. However, it does not seem to be working properly for me. In particular, the app does not remember the password that I have entered, but requires me to re-enter the app's password each time I click on the app's icon. Maybe I am doing something stupid. However, bearing in mind that SQRL will not become a commonly used alternative to user names and passwords unless it is as easy to use as them, I think this app does not provide the seamless experience that it ought to provide. I cannot even use it to log in to the SQRL forum at grc.com, and that is even after I associated my account there with my SQRL identity. If this is operator error, I apologise, but I would repeat my point that if SQRL is to be widely adopted it needs to be simple to use.
Update in answer to Developer response:
My OS is MacOS Mojave 10.4.5
I use Firefox version 67.0.3
I am trying to login at: https://sqrl.grc.com/
I should mention that I have already created an account there, using the conventional route of a user name and password and I have already associated that account with my sqrl identity. But instead of logging in using the conventional method I am now trying to login by using your sqrl app.
So, when I go to the page at https://sqrl.grc.com/ I click on login towards the top right of the screen. Once I click on that a pop-up window appears that tells me to "Log in instantly using .." I choose the option to click on the sqrl icon in the pop-up window. An arrow shows on my screen which points diagonally up to your app's SQRL icon in the top right of my screen. The word Auth appears in white font in a red rectangular box on top of the icon. (As a basic user I have no idea what this means but I should mention that I had already entered my password in the app and told it to remember my password but it does not seem to have remembered my password since when I click on the app's icon a pop-up window appears with the words "Login to sqrl.grc.com? asking me to enter my password) I re-enter my password, even though the app should have remembered it, because previously I told it to do so in Settings. After I enter my password in the app there is no acknowledgement. Nevertheless I assume that my password has been received by the app.
I then click on the login button at the bottom of the pop-up window and a new screen appears at https://sqrl.grc.com/login/login. On this screen there is an error message in red font in a pink box informing me that "The requested user could not be found"
So...is the app responsible for this error or is the sqrl.grc server responsible for this error? I don't know I'm afraid.
Subsequent update on 22 June 2019:
Things have improved since I posted the earlier review. The app now seems to be remembering my password. Now my experience is as follows: when I try to log in to https://sqrl.grc.com/ I click on login towards the top right of the screen. Once I click on that a pop-up window appears that tells me to "Log in instantly using .." I choose the option to click on the sqrl icon in the pop-up window. An arrow shows on my screen which points diagonally up to your app's SQRL icon in the top right of my screen. The word Auth appears in white font in a red rectangular box on top of the icon. I wait a few moments and then I am actually logged in. So the app now seems to be working quite well. I have therefore revised my rating. I have rated the app 4 stars rather than 5 because I am not sure if the word Auth should appear in white font in a red rectangular box on top of the icon. If it is telling me that it is in the process of Authenticating maybe it should say Authenticating instead of just Auth.
Developer responseposted 5 months ago- Which OS do you use?
- Which version of Firefox do you have?
- What is the exact URL where you are trying to login to?
- What happens when you "cannot even use it to log in", do you get an error?
- Is the checkbox under Settings > Password > Remember always checked?
Update on 26 June 2019:
Thanks for the extra info.
The forum is responsible for the connection between an existing user and the SQRL identity. I cannot do anything in that process. Feel free to post a message on that forum with this problem.
I cannot fit a text longer than 4 characters on the popup icon so i chose "Auth". Please let me know if you have a better suggestion.