Be careful with old versions!
These versions are displayed for reference and testing purposes. You should always use the latest version of an add-on.
- Post Filtering bug fixes and performance improvements
- New "Hide Posts" section in Options makes it easy to filter/hide posts by keyword
- Fixed: bar graphs stopped appearing in the "Trending" box
- Fixed: When changing post/comment font size, partial characters would appear behind emoticons
- Pressing ESC now closes any SFX info popups
- New Options in "User Interface" to override post and comment font size and family
- New Option in "User Interface" to Hide Hovercards when hovering over a profile name/picture
- New Filtering Features
- Conditions now include Day of the Week, Post Age, and Picture Of
- CSS Filter actions can now include a selector target
- New "Debug" tab in options contains tools for developers and for help in debugging problems
- New "Show Post HTML" debug option in the wrench menu on each post
- Lots of internal improvements to filtering accuracy and robustness
- Improved unique post identification, so more posts can be marked as 'read'
- Improvements to Comment Navigator
- Remove leading and trailing | characters from filter content to avoid it matching everything
- Improvements to anonymize feature
- Added tooltips to many fields in the Edit Filter tab in options
- Notification Popup: "Liked" comments are no longer grayed out
- When the Options dialog was tall, the dialog header got a scroll bar
- Removed the "Themes" tab in Options, since everyone has seen it by now
- NEW: Option to Disable Social Fixer, in the wrench menu
- NEW: Option to "Run Social Fixer on apps and games pages from apps.facebook.com" - Defaults to True
- NEW: Prevent the Enter key from submitting comments and force it to create a new line instead
- NEW: Add bars to show popularity of "Trending" stories (User Interface tab, defaults to True)
- NEW: Anonymize a single post with the new "Anonymize Post" action under an individual post's wrench icon
- CHANGED: Removed the "When clicking the F logo and Home link, force it to go directly to the Most Recent feed." option under User Interface, and instead reuse the "Automatically Switch to Most Recent" option to decide whether to force going to Most Recent.
- CHANGED: When prefs are imported, the reload message is clearer, the Options dialog is disabled, and a button is provided to reload.
- CHANGED: Technical changes to the build process and component initialization will enable faster approvals by Mozilla
- CHANGED: Improvements to the detection of storage errors to prevent false positives
* Added a new “Timeline” tab in Social Fixer Options with several new options to customize display of Timeline pages. A small options panel will also appear on Timeline pages to allow quick changing of options (see right).
* Added the ability to hide the new mini-footer in the right column by hovering over it and clicking the ‘x’.
* New Option in the “Posts” tab: Automatically click the “Not Spam” link on comments marked as SPAM. This is a convenient way for Page owners who are the victim of Facebook’s over-zealous anti-spam feature, which often marks comments as SPAM which are not. This will automatically unmark all flagged comments (and mark them with a green left border), but then the Page owner needs to delete comments manually which actually are spam. (Most users will not need this feature, but some will find it useful!)
* Posts can now be filtered based on their privacy setting using a text-based filter and matching on the following terms: “privacy:public”, “privacy:friends”, or “privacy:custom”. This is mostly for experienced users, who should know how this works!
* Added “Hidden Chronicles” and “Mafia Wars 2” to the list of known Apps.
* Hovering over images on Timeline pages now shows previews correctly.
* Added color-coding to the Friend Tracker – red if someone unfriends you, green if they re-friend you.
* Friend Tracker now displays a message with a link to the FAQ if it’s stuck on “Loading” for more than 7 seconds.
* Updated Firefox compatibility to 13.0a1
* Facebook released a new photo viewer popup format. If the option was enabled to restore the comment button, it didn’t work in these popups so users could not comment on photos in the new popup.
* Posts were sometimes being automatically marked as read when clicking on any link in the post, or randomly when new comments were dynamically inserted, if the option to “Automatically mark a post as read after commenting on it” option was enabled. A new, more reliable method of triggering this event is now being used.
* When hovering over Notifications to see the preview, sometimes the “Loading” bubble would get stuck and remain visible on the page even after moving the cursor away from the Notification item.
* Removing the last Filter and saving wouldn’t actually remove it.
* When anonymizing the screen, sometimes user profile images would become abnormally large.
* Improved positioning and style when Notifications are “pinned” to the right.
* When offline, the Chat stub at the bottom would show “Chat (Offline)(0)” when chat options were enabled. Fixed to now show “(0)”.
* Some users saw multiple “Add filter” buttons in the Filtering tab of Options.
* When using Chat options to control the visible list of friends on chat, long lists didn’t have a scroll bar.
* With the “Stretch wide” option enabled, Timeline pages would render incorrectly – either too narrow or too wide. Stretching to full width has been disabled on Timeline pages.
Friend Tracker now reports when you've been re-friended by someone, after they've previously unfriended you, unblocked you, or restored their disabled profile.
When replying to Messages, pressing Tab from the message composer wouldn't tab to the Reply button, to make Tab->Enter a quick send key combination. Social Fixer now forces this to work.
When Social Fixer automatically switches you to the "Recent Stories First" view of your news feed, you will now see a message after the switch, with the option to hide the message.
Removed the option to manually sort the feed into chronological order, because there is now a chronological sort option built into Facebook.
The note shown when Friend Tracker finds an unfriend now has a link to the FAQ for an explanation, and can be dismissed permanently.
Fixed some speed problems when typing comments – characters would appear very slowly.
Fixed a display quirk which caused the first post in a tabbed stream to squish to the right.
General performance improvements in rendering and post processing.
When "Automatically mark a post as 'read' after commenting on it " was enabled, the comment count was not updated with the newly-added comment.
Some applications were no longer being tabbed after a Facebook change
Fixed "Change profile images in chat to names" after a Facebook change broke it
The option to float the control panel down the page when scrolling stopped positioning it correctly.
Some sections in the right panel (like "Sponsored") were not collapsing correctly when clicked, and sometimes weren't staying collapsed on reload.
With the "stretch wide" option enabled, the right sidebar (when visible) would cover up content on the right side of the news feed or in the blue header bar.
In some cases, posts with new comments were staying hidden rather than highlighting the new comments.
The "fix" for wheel scrolling in Ticker preview popups didn't work correctly for people using Macs and the two-finger swipe. This "fix" has been removed until I can find a way around it.
* New options to hide “Groups”, “Apps”, and “Pages” sections of the new left navigation bar in Options->Layout
* New “Hide” feature. Hovering over some elements on the page, like the “Find Friends” link in the header or the “live tickers” on game pages will show an “x” icon in the upper right. Click it to hide the selected area of the page. You can unhide elements in the new “Hidden” tab in Options
* Added new filter type: “Posts to Pages”
* Added a number of new apps and games to the auto-tab list
* Disabled the Friend Circles functionality because Facebook’s recent privacy changes broke everything. This will take considerable work to add back in.
* When friends are on mobile devices in the chat list, the mobile icon will now be shown
* Added a “click to expand” message on right sidebar pagelets that have been collapsed, because some users couldn’t figure out how to expand them
* Updated Firefox compatibility to 9.0a1
* Character counter in status update box was sometimes being shown more than once.
* The “Live Feed” (aka “Happening Now”) ticker on the right was not being hidden after a Facebook code change.
* On some pages, with “fixed header” enabled, the header would push all the way to the left side of the screen
* Fixed the post timestamp formatting problems caused by a Facebook code change
* Fixed the “mark as read after comment” option after a Facebook code change
* When only 1 or 2 friends were on chat, the chat menu dropped below the bottom of the page, making it impossible to go offline, etc.
* Post action icons were colliding with the new security-setting dropdown on posts from the user. Now, post action icons are shifted left to make room for the security-setting dropdown.
* For some users, Games pages showed the game shifted down the page from the top
* Left-column sections like “My Pages”, “My Events”, etc we badly formatted after Facebook changes
* New Option in Chat tab: Group friends by online status (active on top, idle below).
Note: Recent Facebook changes to chat may cause idle users to not be shown. This is a Facebook change, not a BFB change.
* The popup chat list of friends online will now shrink to be just big enough to fit the content.
* Chat dock in lower right now shows the count of users online. Note: Facebook has recently added this feature themselves, but the BFB feature will work as a backup.
* An “[options]” link now appears in the chat popup list that links directly to the Chat tab in Options
* Performance improvements for Chat and Circles loading
* When post privacy is changed using the default Facebook padlock, those changes are now reflected in the Circles UI also.
* Removed the option for “Use Facebook’s built-in list editor instead of CircleHack.com” and turned the “Edit Friend Circles” button into a dropdown to select which editing interface to use.
* Removed Friends Activity because it caused some new problems. I’ll try to fix it and add it back in as an option.
* Pinning Notifications to the right sometimes caused it to stall and never load, and also prevent other features from working correctly (mostly in Chrome).
* When clicking on notifications about messages in discussion boards, only the first post would be displayed.
* Chat would sometimes cause an error and show an alert icon when Friends Activity was enabled.
* When viewing emails in Messages, scrolling up would repeatedly load previous messages and prevent the left navigation bar from being reachable.
* When selecting “Friends” in Circles and excluding a circle, permissions may not have been set correctly.
* New “Chat” tab in Options lets you revert chat to its old behavior, show all online friends, hide the chat sidebar, or hide chat entirely.
* Circles! When making a post, two new buttons have been added by the Share button – “Edit Friend Circles” and “Post Privacy”. This will let you easily setup friend circles, and control which circles see the post. This feature can be disabled in the “Posts” tab of Options. Learn more here!
* New Option in Layout tab: “Hide the “live” feed of friends activity” in right column
* New Option in Layout tab: “Unlock the right column so it scrolls with the page” in right column
* Expanded text-based filters to also match on the author’s name and the text of location posts.
* Users with the new layout having the “live feed” on the right and fixed-position top/left sections will have them return back to scrollable unless the options to lock the left column or header are checked in Options
* Updated Firefox extension compatibility to 8.0a1
* Some spacing issues with the fixed header bar caused the top portion of some pages to be hidden.
* In some cases, the prevention of link redirection wasn’t working correctly.
* Some “location” posts (like “Friend A was at Place”) didn’t stay read after Facebook introduced a new glitch in their data. Although some of these posts still will not filter correctly, they should remain hidden once marked as read.
* Fixed “Select All” button (again) in Invite Friends popup after Facebook again changed their code.
* “Mark All Read” didn’t work on Groups pages
* The option to pin notifications to the right sidebar stopped working correctly after a Facebook code change.
* New Option: “Process posts on Group Walls, add control panel, and allow Mark As Read” in the “Posts” tab. Turning off this option will hide the control panel on Group walls and post action icons on Group posts.
* Posts on Groups walls will no longer be re-ordered, so the recently updated posts will once again float to the top.
* The “Anonymize Screen” menu item and “Better Facebook Options” item in the Account dropdown (if enabled) have been bumped up from the bottom, so the Log Out remains the last item in the list
* Fixed several bugs having to do with the notifications alert: Pinning to the right, scrolling the notifications list, and showing preview on hover all stopped working after a Facebook code change.
* Fixed some quirks and bugs with the Anonymize Screen feature
* On some slow computers, saving the Options popup before the filters could be rendered caused them to be wiped out
* Clicking the X to close “Tips of the Day” didn’t actually close the box
* The “Select All” button in a new event’s “Invite Friends” popup stopped appearing after a Facebook code change.
* Fixed a couple cases where image preview on hover was not working
* New Option: “Put the “Options” link under the “Account” menu” (in the “Display” tab). This will put the Better Facebook options link under the “Account” dropdown in the header to conserve space.
* New Option: “Prevent external link redirection” under the “Posts” tab. This will prevent from running external links through its redirector, which checks for malicious links, logs your link click, and prevents the target site from knowing the Facebook.com url you were at when you clicked. This option should only be enabled if you know exactly what it means.
* New Feature: Under the “Account” menu in the blue header bar, an “Anonymize Screen” item has been added. Use this when you are sharing Facebook screenshots with the world, to convert all friend names and profile pictures into generic, anonymized versions!
* Full prevention of Lightbox popup
* With Fixed Header enabled, sometimes the Notifications list was too long and scrolled off the bottom of the screen, making items unreachable. The notifications box will now have a scrollbar if it is long.
* BFB Update notifications will now appear in the right column, so they stay out of your way until you are ready to update.
* Problems with buttons being unreachable when “Stretch the layout to full screen width” is enabled have been fixed.
* With theater mode disabled, clicking or right-clicking on photo album thumbnails would make them disappear.
* Fixed a problem that sometimes prevented the “Help” message from appearing when users post to the Better Facebook Page on Facebook.
* Text in part of post footers (with links to take action, like “Claim Your Prize”) was not being processed by text-based filters. Text filters should now operate on the post and all content in the post footer.
* “Reply” to comments didn’t work on some Pages, such as http://www.facebook.com/KnownIssues
* The option to “fix timestamps” on posts was dropping the date and year on posts that were very old, so only the time was visible.
* Removed the check for multiple versions being installed because some users were seeing it in error.
* Pressing Ctrl+z while in a textarea or input incorrectly triggered the “undo” action.
* Fixed a slight rendering glitch in Firefox when fixing timestamps
* Fixed a problem that caused the daily pruning of old story data to not work correctly.
Under The Hood
* Updated Firefox compatibility to versions <= 6.0a2
- Reply to Comments
- Restore The "Comment" Button
- Filter Questions
Plus many other changes and bug fixes!
New Option: Force Page Walls to "Most Recent"
New Option: "Power Off" disables all BFB functionality until re-enabled
Fixed some areas where font size settings weren't taking effect
Improved auto-clicking of Older Posts
Improved lightbox prevention logic - Ctrl+click on images now correctly opens in a new tab
New Option: Erase Recent Activity items when deleted from wall, rather than crossing them out (Display tab)
Improved: When chat images to names is enabled, idle friends now show up in italics
Fixed: Static header now works correctly on Pages and Profiles
Fixed: When notifications were pinned to right column, but right column didn't exist, they wouldn't appear in the dropdown either.
Fixed: Converting chat images to names didn't happen as new people came online
* New option to disable Facebook’s new “light box” photo viewer.
* New option to set post comment text size independent of post text size. If left blank, it defaults to post text size.
* New option to delay the showing of image previews for X number of seconds after hovering over
* All panels in the right sidebar now have an “X” in the upper right corner to hide them. Any panel can be hidden. Hidden panels can be unhidden in Options.
* “Corrected” post and comment dates now include the year, if not the current year.
* The automatic loading of more posts as you scroll to the bottom is disabled to prevent conflicts and other problems.
* Fixed: User Pref Import button was broken
* Fixed: Friend Activity panel now works. I think.
* Fixed: Most recent message no longer displays immediately after first install
* Fixed: When on apps.facebook.com, clicking the Facebook logo or Home links now correctly take you to www.facebook.com
* Fixed: Some Facebook url’s were being processed when they shouldn’t have been
* Fixed: Theme classes were being repeatedly applied to the HTML root
* The “Friends Recently On Chat” feature has been removed because Facebook no longer provides the data needed to provide this feature.
- Better Facebook will now run correctly on any site on Facebook, including blog.facebook.com and apps.facebook.com, and on http and https
- You can now decide to only automatically remove Recent Activity stories of specified types (see Display tab)
- Status update length counter now shows characters remaining, rather than characters typed
- Font size setting now applies to comments as well as posts themselves
- Themes with time-sensitive content (like the Desktop clock) will now update every minute
- Added a Cancel button to the setup wizard, and a link to re-launch it in Options
- Old story data will now automatically be cleaned out once a day to not waste space and slow down the app
- Improved removal of Recent Activity to avoid errors and missed stories
- Fixed auto-clicking of "Older Posts" after a Facebook code change broke it
- Posts by "Application Pages" are now correctly filtered along with the Application
- Changed the functionality for the "Automatically mark a post as 'read' after commenting on it" option to make it work with Facebook's new "live" insertion of new comments
- Changed the code to uniquely identify some story types that were not consistently staying hidden
- Image preview on hover for some images (such as the top 5 in profiles) didn't work in Chrome
- Fixed: Friend Tracker hangs on profile pages
- Removed Recent Activity stories are now crossed out on your wall, rather than removed, to show you what was removed. On refresh of the page, they will be gone forever.
- Added a description of post type in post debug box
- Added an explanation of status bar counts in control panel when hovered over
- Removed the footnote below image previews in the popup
This version has a lot of new features and fixes. Themes(skins), thumbnail image preview on hover, auto-removal of RECENT ACTIVITY posts on your profile, stretch to full browser width, full timestamps on posts, FF4 support, and a new "Update Wizard" that will guide you through all the new features and settings after install.
Improved detection of internal navigation
Fixed: Filters with just "stop processing rules" action won't save
Fixed: Auto-expand messages in left col doesn't work with new message system.
Fixed: Pinned Notifications stopped working after Facebook change
Fixed: Multiple things after Facebook changed its Profile layout
- Status character counter in new publisher bar
- Don't show left nav panels on profiles/pages
- Don't show right panel pagelets on profiles/pages
- "Process posts on Profiles" now works
- Home tab on profiles didn't work correctly
- Position of Facebook's "close" X to match the position of BFB's post icons
Fixed: The "+" icon to add an app to the known list stopped working because Facebook doesn't show the app's name anymore. Now the user will be prompted for the name.
Fixed: Help message stopped showing up when posting to the BFB Page.
TypeError: Cannot call method 'toLowerCase' of null
TypeError: a[sortprop] is undefined
Uninstall link in Options didn't work.
Navigation using Facebook logo or Home link caused problems
Sometimes notification previews would get "stuck"
Added "Refresh" link to Friend Tracker
Group Activity has been removed because Facebook removed the source data
- New Option: Force the post font to be a specific size (Options/Popular)
- New Option: Show friends on chat even when you're offline (Options/Left Panel)
- New Option: Change profile images in chat to names (Options/Popular)
- New Option: Hide the "Friends on Chat" panel in left sidebar (Options/Left Panel)
- New Option: Hide the "Questions" box in the right panel (Options/Right Panel)
- New Option: Decide whether to process Recent Activity posts or not (Options/Display)
- New Option: Define a custom post action "sprite" url (Options/CSS - advanced users only!)
- New: When "View all XXX comments" link will open a new page, an icon is shown
- Fixed problems with Fixed Header display (and it now works on profiles/pages, too)
- Fixed a problem with quotes in custom text match feed filters
- Fixed notification previews that were broken again after a Facebook code change
- Fixed: Right-panel boxes added by BFB didn't maintain their "collapsed" state
- Further tweaks to auto-clicking "Older Posts" to try to make it more robust
- Internal code changes to better handle pref saving and cross-tab data integrity
- "Add custom app" icon now appears for all app posts, even if "Automatically move apps to their own tabs" is not enabled
New story type: Friends being added to Groups
New option in Display tab to auto-expand "See more" links in posts
Fixed preview notifications that were broken because of a Facebook code change, and added support for more types of content
Fixed clicking of Older Posts (again) in Firefox
Fixed auto-expanding of Apps in left panel
Fixed hiding of Pokes and Get Connected boxes in right panel
Fixed a problem with not running filters on page/profiles
Added two new story type ID's to "Friends Checking In" stories to better handle them
New status line in control panel shows counts of posts processed, filtered, etc
New option to pin the notifications to the top of the ride side panel
New option to control whether to apply filters on Pages / Profiles (default: true)
New: "Select All" button in Friend Selector popup
New: Tabs with no unread posts are now grayed out
New: "Google It!" icon in post action buttons quickly google's status update text. What is that a quote from? Now you know!
Changed: "Older Posts" logic to hopefully be more reliable
Added: Warning message when user is on apps.facebook.com
Fixed: Overlay problem when left column is static
Fixed: Navigation problems that caused tabs to not always display. Removed the need to fix logo navigation.
Fixed: Friends Activity in right panel was not showing consistently, slow
Fixed: Some posts were not maintaining their "read" status because their FBID changed randomly
Some facebook errors are now handled in a more user-friendly manner
Fixed quick display of red error when following links off facebook
Added uninstall link to lower right of Options
Better Export options in Options / User Prefs
New: "Custom App list" option in the Feed Filter tab in Options. This lets you identify your own applications and have them work just as if they were built in!
Fixed: Facebook once again changed the layout in the right panel. Updated code to fix it.
Fixed: If you added a comment, then clicked Mark Read, the new comment wouldn't be counted as seen and you would need to refresh and Mark Read again. Not anymore.
Added: Some more application ID's, including Youtube