- Rated 4 out of 5by Firefox user 14744526, 4 years agoUpdating from old Firefox, great replacement for the old tab groups addon,
Quick question - in the old add on when restoring tabs it would restore the tab including its history (the previous & newer webpages loaded by each tab), is that still the case ?
Also, encountered an issue/bug where the addon reorganises the order the tabs are shown from the last time you shut down pc to when booting it the next day - sometimes moving them to a different group (so far this only happens on tabs on the same webpage - the homepage - google )
- Rated 4 out of 5by Firefox user 13487987, 4 years agoFirst, thank you for this fantastic add-on. Congratulations, is a very nice work.
Second, this add-on deserves all the stars. But I am going to give 4 starts, just because the delayed start-up issue (it takes lot of time to launch in my FF). This is a small issue, and only happens at FF' launching, but it will be great if the Dev can eliminate de annoying start-up delay.
Thanks in advance!
- Rated 4 out of 5by Firefox user 14359264, 4 years agoWorks well and seems to hold and endless amount of tabs without slowing down the browser. I would have given it 5 stars if it offered a way to sort A-Z or Z-A, etc. Much better than the original Firefox version.
- Rated 4 out of 5by Coconutsales, 4 years agoThis is not Tab Groups. There is no functionality that I expected from an addon that claims to be inspired by it. I have found no option to skip the "groups menu" dropdown and go straight into the management screen, and further the groups management screen opens itself into a tab or a window depending on the setting you have set, yet neither of these options were the way the original Tab Groups worked. It used to be that it seemingly created a navigation bar-less fullscreen window with the tabs displayed. I don't know what the limitations of quantum's haphazardly asinine addon system are, but that's rather disappointing. I don't like the current standing separate window view, nor the tab version. Very clunky to use.
Further, although explicitly stated as being planned for a future update, you cannot freely arrange the tab groups in the grid view, which is unfortunate.
This was not worth updating from Firefox V56.0.2 for, though unfortunately I was forced into doing so by the fact that many webpages have begun to discontinue support for the legacy version of Firefox. I am left with no other choice.
Edit: Boosting up to four stars because I found an amazing workaround. You can right click > PIN the "Manage Groups" tab and then, voila, there is an always-present button you can press to bring you right to the overview screen. It's on the left, not the right, but hey it's better than being forced to use that menu.
- Rated 4 out of 5by Pierre-Adrien Buisson, 4 years agoWorks very well. This addon is basically a panorama on steroids. You can use it like a really simple "tab grouping" feature, but there are advanced features that makes it really powerful (for instance, automatically assign certain urls to a specific group). The only downside I notice is the time it takes initializing when you first open the browser. I wonder why it's so long and if there are means to improve this. Other than this, the addon is brilliant!
- Rated 4 out of 5by Firefox user 14314266, 4 years agoVery practical add-on. Like it a lot. It makes my browsing life much better organize. Good job. Four stars only as it still seem to be a wee buggy. The backup functionality does not work. In Downloads I have every two hours failed download - files with names email@example.com. And if I go to settings -> backup and try to open backup folder nothing happens. Hopefully soon it will sorted and it will deserve dive starts.
- Rated 4 out of 5by Huy Pro, 4 years agoYour add-on is the main reason I decided to update my Firefox lately. But it would be perfect if the old "Move to group" feature in each tab's context menu is implemented, just like the good old days...
- Rated 4 out of 5by chaosking01, 4 years agoQuick little nitpick: opening a tab group tries to load every single tab simultaneously which for larger groups can lead to heaps of lag and ram usage. older tab groups only held onto the tab page and a thumbnail and loaded them when they were selected which was much better for me. Also the tab management page could be smoother. Lastly, I like how current pages can be retrieved when opening a tab group without saving to one before hand so I don't lose pages I didn't want to but I would like active windows to be saved to a new tab group automatically when switching to another group and not already a part of one but not with only "new tab" active.
- Rated 4 out of 5by Firefox user 14320577, 4 years agoI don't understand how anyone could use FF without this add-on. Very easy to understand and does exactly what one would expect it to.
FF crashed and I lost all my tabs + groups the other day. After an hour or so of messing around with .json/.jsonlz4 files, I concluded that FF had just lost them. I'm glad that I had made a backup from STG, it's unfortunate that it's wayy back from 6 months ago.
Could an auto-backup feature be added? I don't trust FF with my tabs anymore.
- Rated 4 out of 5by Firefox user 14317664, 4 years agoIf you manage to do the "free arrangment" in "Manage groups" you will get 5 stars and 6 if FF supports it one day :D
Why do we have to add [STG plugin] Open Manage groups to open it directly?
- Rated 4 out of 5by ZimonDai, 4 years agoI really like this addon and the hard work of the author.
1. The extension sometime reports some previously closed tabs as unmanaged
2. Performance. Noticeable lag when switching groups with many tabs / opening the popup
- Rated 4 out of 5by Roboman, 4 years agoSo far the best replacement for the old tabgroup plugin by far. I recently just downloaded this and trying out, but I'm really impressed. Love the memory saving settings when you got tons of tabs in different groups. Will come back if I find some bugs, problems or suggestions!
EDIT: So a couple of things I noticed:
When trying to open a group as a new window does not work, sometimes it just opens a new blank page. It would also be nice if there was an option to take an already open window with tabs and create a group from that, rather than just one tab at the time. I don't know if it's documentet somewhere if there is a way.
When clicking or hover over the Tool tips (?) does not seem to do anything.
Correct me if I'm wrong!
- Rated 4 out of 5by Firefox user 14182926, 4 years agoDevelopment now advanced far enough for this add-on to be a reliable replacement for the old tab groups extension, but latest version drops ability to denote current group through color of toolbar icon--an inconvenience.
- Rated 4 out of 5by Greg K Nicholson, 4 years agoThis is a very useful extension. I wouldn't say it's simple, but it is powerful.
It's useful to be able to move tabs into groups based on their URLs; I use this to separate different projects so that I can switch context between them.
It doesn't seem to play well with other extensions that automatically close tabs in the background, though; for example Dustman. After a tab is auto-closed, when I switch to that group, STG says “Invalid tab” and “Background not inited”. After that, STG doesn't work. If I disable and re-enable it, the toolbar button never finishes loading. Restarting Firefox seems to fix it. (I think this may be the same issue as #212 on GitHub.)
Edit 2018-07-20: Thanks, I've updated to 3.0.10. Let's see how it goes!
Edit 2018-07-23: I'm still seeing “Invalid tab” notifications that stop STG from loading the group, but I haven't yet seen a “Background not inited” one, and STG starts working properly again when I reload it from the menu.