To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
About this Add-on
NEW NEW NEW
- New search engine Google Encrypted
- New option use always .com (alias No Country Redirect (NCR))
- New shortcuts
- Full list of changes: release notes
Main features Version 1.7:
- Extends search functions of Google, Yahoo, Bing, DuckDuckGo, Qwant, Ixquick, Startpage and Ask(if the corresponding search engine installed)
- Selection between web site search or internet search.
- Restrict your search for e. g. images, videos, documents or addresses (if the search engine support it).
- Search for highlighted text.
- Reusing of opened tabs (Useful for Firefox 3).
- Use of HTTPS for Google SSL, DuckDuckGo, Qwant, Ixquick and Startpage for increased security.
- Enable-/disable search types.
- Support of Firefox Sync for Settings (BETA).
Download and install this Add-On. The new functions will be available after restarting Firefox.
Please read following notes and frequently asked questions.
The use of https can increase security, but it can also slow down the loading of the result page.
Use of shortcuts:
- Control + K (Firefox specific!):
- F4: opens search engine menu (Firefox specific!)
- F7: opens search mode menu
- F8: opens file type menu (if filetypes supported)
- F5 and F6 are already in use by Firefox.
- ALT + Shift+ W => search with current engine in internet
- ALT + Shift + S => search with current engine current website
- ALT + Shift+ U => search with current engine in URLs
- ALT + Shift + I => search with current engine for images
- ALT + Shift + M => search with current engine for addresses on maps
This Add-On is incompatible with other searchbar extendable Add-Ons!!
Enabling and disabling of file types in 1.7.2 is broken and will return in 1.7.3.
Compatibility problems with Firefox 43+ are resolved with version 1.7.3.
Compatibility problems with Firefox 23+ are resolved with version 1.0.1.
To report any compatiblity problems please use Add-on Compatibility Reporter.
Q: How can I enable advanced search functions for e. g. “Ask”?
A: Add the corresponding search engine to Firefox. The new functions will immediately be available without restarting Firefox. Following list contains compatible search engines:
- Google (SSL)
- Ixquick HTTPS or see FAQ: "How to use Ixquick / Startpage with search suggestions."
- Startpage (SSL) or see FAQ: "How to use Ixquick / Startpage with search suggestions."
Q: I am using a search engine called “Google Scholar”. Is this engine compatible with this Add-On?
A: No. To prevent overlaying other search engines, only following search engines with exactly following names are compatible:
“Google” or “Google (SSL)”, “Yahoo”, “Ixquick” or “Ixquick HTTPS”, “Bing” and “Ask” WITHOUT furthermore additions.
Other search engines like “Amazon” will not be affected.
Q: I want to search for word-documents with „Bing“. Is it possible?
A: No. Not every search engine supports the same search functions. Following lists shows the compatibility between search engine and search functions:
Documents like Word or PDF:
- Google and Yahoo
Videos and images:
- Google, Yahoo, Ixquick (ony internet search), Bing and Ask
Maps (only internet search):
- Google, Yahoo and Bing
Q: I have installed an older version (“Search this site”). What are the differences between the older and newer versions?
A: The current version integrates into Firefox’s search bar. The separate search bar and some user-preferences like shortcuts have been removed. These changes will automatically install after update.
Q: I can’t see some images for file types.
A: This Add-On uses icons of corresponding programs for files with one of the following extensions: html, .pdf, .txt, .avi und .jpeg. If you cannot see e. g. the PDFicon you have to install a PDF-Reader.
Q: How to use Ixquick / Startpage with search suggestions?
A: Go to Ixquick mainpage. In the right coner select "Settings". On the left side under "GET MORE IXQUICK" click on "Add Ixquick to your Browser". Choose a language and click on "install" behind "HTTPS" (for more security) or "HTTP" (faster, but less secure).
Same steps for Startpage.
Q: Why does DuckDuckGo support Maps and HTML?
A: DuckDuckGo supports many commands called "Bangs" (duckduckgo.com/bang.html) It uses these commands to use other services. Maps will be supported by Open Street Map (OSM) and HTML on World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) wiki w3schools.com.
Q: What's the difference between setting"Avoid country redirect" and "Force using .com"?
A: "Avoid country redirect" uses preferred language (Settings -> Content -> Languages) to choose domain to use for search engine and prevents for redirecting to another domain. For example spansih is preferred language the search engine uses .es as domain. So, it is a simple mapping between language and domain.
"Force using .com" ignores preferred language and uses .com without redirecting.
Currently only Google is supported. Google encrypted does not support other domains.
Q: What about roadmap and bugfixing?
A: "Advanced search" will be developed in leisure time. New features and patches will be published in sporadical interval.
Evaluation of possibility:
- Support of MetaGer
- Migration to new Add-On API
- Support of national domains for NCR with Google (not possible for Google encrypted)
depending on preferred language
- New setting to enforce searching on .com
- Restored options for types
- New options for types for Firefox 43+
- Support of Multiprocess Firefox 44
- Support of Multiprocess Firefox 45