To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
About this Add-on
This lightweight add-on provides two features:
- Let to export any of the existent search engines in Firefox to a XML file in the OpenSearch format.
- Let to add to Firefox one or more search engines from local XML files in the same format.
Both features are accessible from the Search pane of the Preferences page in Firefox (check the screenshots). No toolbar button or global keyboard shortcut is provided, for the moment.
Combining these two tools provides a workaround for the impossibility of editing a search engine added to Firefox from a website (you will need to remove the exported engine from Firefox before importing it back).
Please note that it's not possible to import a search engine with the same name as one of the search engines included by default in Firefox (e.g. Google), even if the latter was removed; it's an intentional restriction of the application.
Available in: English (en-US), español (es-ES), slovenčina (sk), 中文 (简体, zh-CN).
You can help with the localization to other regions at Crowdin (No technical knowledge is needed).
About porting it to the WebExtensions (WE) add-on model
Check here the up-to-date development status. Currently, a compat-with-Firefox-57-and-beyond port isn't possible at all.
- Added the possibility to export in a single ZIP file all custom search engines (a.k.a. the engines added manually by the user), skipping those found installed by default, since the latter engines can't be imported back again without manual changes.
- Changed: the layout of the buttons added by the add-on to the Firefox Preferences page has been sightly improved.
- Fixed compatibility with Firefox Nightly 57.0a1: importing of engines is working again.
Note that due to addons.mozilla.org having recently marked all legacy add-ons as strictly not compatible with Firefox 57.0, this release could be not offered as an automatic update to Nightly users having still enabled the usage of legacy extensions; it can be installed manually though.
- Updated localizations: Spanish (es-ES) and Simplified Chinese (zh-CN).
Also note that it isn't possible yet to have an release of this add-on full compatible with Firefox 57, since there are no available WebExtensions APIs to deal with search engines.