To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
Old time Greasemonkey user like I was? Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I have to admit, I'm usually a devout adherent to the old adage of: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". So if you're anything like me, naturally you're a little apprehensive about trying this one out as it's basically an alternative to Greasemonkey which you've probably used for YEARS without any problems!
So is it really worth it?
Well, all I can say is that the transition is very seamless, as they work pretty much the same way in terms of the user-experience. I really like however the added settings this add-on provides over Greasemonkey, like caching the scripts in memory for faster performance (which I don't really know if it makes that much of a difference, but still it's nice to have), added security settings, and just overall extended settings which are simply not available at all in Greasemonkey. It also features a built in editor which I found to be very nice and convenient!
The bottom line is that this is a better more optimized version of Greasemonkey, and yet works in much the same way so there's no learning curve here if you're making the switch. As a programmer myself who values such things, knowing that I'm using a more efficient optimized add-on is very satisfying.
- No learning curve over Greasemonkey. Transition is very seamless, and works very much the same way.
- Extended settings (including security, script caching etc.) which are not available at all in Greasemonkey.
- Built in editor + more user-friendly when creating a new script!
- Faster, more optimized and efficient compared to its counterpart.
- No import option for scripts and their related settings from Greasemonkey. So if you're using a lot of scripts you're gonna have to manually re-install them all after making the switch.
- Not very stylish! The little green scroll icon used by Scriptish is kind of old fashioned and ugly. This actually DOES make a difference to a lot of people. Greasemonkey's one is more modern and detailed which just LOOKS better. Not a make or break issue for me personally, but definitely something the add-on developers should address.
I hope you found this review helpful!