- by joefiesta, 3 years agoRated 1 out of 5Edit, 20200722:
This addon now causes certain Ebay pages to freeze. Thiis only recently occurred, and since the addon hasn't been updated, it indicates a compatability problem with certain webpages.
Secondly, there are still no instructions. The author seems no longer interested. Unfortunate, because this was one of the better "protect eye" addons. Anymore, it seems they all have more problems than they are worth.
This addon has almost no instructions about how it works. However, I'm upgrading my review after having learned much more:
1. It is page specific. Different pages can be different colors; however, only the most recently selected color is used (and remembered!) for any new tabs. That is does not remember page settings is good, however. Who would want all the overhead and a huge file just to maintain the info?
2. The "Enable at new tab by default" makes it universal. I strongly suggest using it. I think it should be the default. It has nothing to do with the tabs. It has to do with their pages. Each page is treated differently. It should probably read something like "Enable at new page creation/refresh". Refreshing a page will change the color if the selected color has been changed.
3. IMPORTANT: When using the OPTIONS menu, after changing the value for CUSTOM COLOR, you must hit ENTER for the value to be saved.
4. The "Enable custom color" option makes no sense. If you don't want to use a custom color, just don't pick "custom color" from the drop-down color selection menu.
5. There is NO DISABLE for this page capability (assuming you have selected "Enable at new tab by default"). There needs to be a DISABLE (on this page) color choice (in the drop-down menu).
6. I am not sure what the ORIGN color is supposed to do. Was that meant to say "ORIGINAL"? Was that meant to disable it (and use original color)?
It seems to do nothing.
Correction: after experimenting I found it works as a "disable", but confusingly.
The word "Orign" is misleading. I think it is supposed to be short for 'original'. But, the 'original' color is ALWAYS white (0xFFFFFF), because that is the only color it changes.
This button works differently from the others as well. Big problem. To effectively DISABLE the add-on, choose ORIGN. However (and unlike the other color selections) you must REFRESH page to see color go back to WHITE. The button should just say "DISABLE" or "WHITE" and one should not have to REFRESH page. (Yes, internaly, I understand this is programmed differently and effectively is DISABLE. But, the enduser doesn't care about how it is programmed.)
7. The white idea is not perfect. One needs to be able to DISABLE the current page while NOT CHANGING the future coloration of other new tabs. . The dropdown menu should have a DISABLE option SHOULD apply on to the CURRENT PAGE. Absolutely necessary if one goes to a page with a DARK theme.
So, here I go again, revising this review for the 6th time. After trying other addons that try the same thing, I've decided this one is pretty good. It just has those few flaws. All the other addons just want to make a BLACK background with WHITE text. That is just as badd a WHITE/BLACK. (You see more window glare--much more.)
Make this GLOBAL and automatic to all sites with a disable button, and I'll give it at least a 4. Fix the menu colors not working as well, and certainly a 5!!!