I've been noticing that I periodically can't log into various websites, and when I look at my cookies exceptions list, I find lots of legitimately useful sites set to "BLOCK." As soon as an existing cookie expires, this setting causes Firefox to reject new cookies, and affected sites refuse to recognize me, often giving no error message whatsoever. After months of this periodic annoyance, I finally figured out that certain sites get added the moment I visit certain pages on their domain. This allowed me to troubleshoot and find the culprit. It's Priv3 0.2 that's causing this problem (in many versions of Firefox, up to at least 23.0, on Windows 7 x64)
Priv3 is adding sites to my cookie block list, and not just suppressing social media tracking cookies, as described on the extension's homepage. This is a significant problem, and makes the extension pretty much unusable. I love the idea of Priv3 and what it's supposed to do, but adding domains to the Firefox cookie block list periodically is a show-stopper.
I'll happily re-enable this extension if this problem is resolved, because I think it provides a truly useful function.
This is a great extension but it loads the CPU way too much. After having Firefox using the CPU at (at least) 30% all the time I started investigating by disabling and re-enabling all extensions one by one. As a results, I identified that Priv3 was responsible of using around 30% of the CPU at all time.
I am on Firefox 14.0.1 on Ubuntu 12.04. The problem is however also probably present in earlier versions of Firefox (but I didn't investigate that at the time).
High CPU usage is strange. Could you confirm that the observation was for a specific web page or across browser sessions ? I've been using Priv3 for over a year and never observed any significant CPU usage. My configuration is similar, i.e. FFx 14+ and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
Admittedly, I do like the idea of Priv3 and the fact that it works most of the time. However, having to begin EVERY SINGLE Firefox session by closing down the Priv3 homepage tab turns into quite an annoyance in the long run - and by consequence Priv3 will be disabled in my browser from now on. I am not the first to react to this. Why is it still an issue?
I realize it says not to post bug reports, but there's no facility for doing so on the Priv3 homepage. So...
After a couple hours of testing, I've verified that this extension will flip the cookie settings for some sites from "allow for session" to "allow" - with no warning or indication whatsoever. Pretty nasty little bug in an extension that purports to be protecting your privacy.
Thanks for the bug report. The bug reports can also be filed using the context menu on the extension itself. Did you observe this for a specific set of pages. It would be helpful if you could let us know about it.
The other reviewers must be working for google or facebook :p
This is a great addon! It blocks connections going to google and fb on other sites, when you dont want them to. Even when you hover over a fb like button the connections shoot up like crazy! And it does all this without compromising the functionality of any of these sites or apps.
Didnt have any issues with the home page popping up, but wouldnt really mind if it did.
We are now at Fx version 9.0.1 and still, every now and then the Priv3 Firefox Extension homepage is loaded without asking. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't help. Too bad, this could have been a great add-on...
Poorly written. It randomly opens its home page when starting Firefox. Response from developers is, "We know and may do something about it one day." This diminishes the credibility of the app. It was written to improve security and it is hard to trust it to do its job if it misbehaves in such an obvious way, especially since it offers the end user no way at all to tell if it is doing anything.
Hard to view effectiveness, because I also use other means to block the +1 etc,
FYI: I have a lot of identical error messages: listener.getBrowserFromURL is not a function ErrorConsole shows: from priv3 overlay.xul - - -line 48 - var b = listener.getBrowserFromURL(url); - - - - - -
I don't know the effect of these errors I use a load of extensions, I did not search if one of them is related to the errors