To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
About this Add-on
Only text color will be modified, not background color. Text color will only be modified if it is already darker than the background color. Headers and links will not be forced all the way to black, but may be made darker than the original.
Font faces will not be modified, although font weight may be forced to normal.
An icon will be placed on the Firefox toolbar at bottom of the window. This icon may be clicked to toggle between ON and OFF for the current page.
There are several options that can be set:
- Automatically color pages on load: When set, the colors for each tab are analyzed when the tab first becomes visible. Analysis can cause a noticeable delay on complicated pages, but is only necessary once per page. Other tabs can load in the background without causing a delay.
- Automatically adjust font weight: When true, font-weight for all fonts is forced to be at least normal. This will have no effect when a normal-weight version of a font is not available.
- Headers and links: minimum brightness (percentage):
- Headers and links: minimum brightness (percentage) Paint It Black! does not transmit any data anywhere.
- Stylish is incredibly flexible, but it is very cumbersome to make even small changes. I keep this installed to deal with pop-ups and intrusive page headers.
- NoSquint is slightly more flexible than Firefox "colors" option, but if a page uses both dark text on light background, and light text on dark background, you are out of luck. On the other hand, it is a lot easier and faster to use than Stylish. NoSquint has an easy-to-use system for site-specific exceptions. It also has a very nice font size manager.
Some comparable addons are:
Complete source code for Paint It Black! can be found at https://github.com/BobPyron/PaintItBlack. It is distributed under the terms of the MIT License.