- by yarnweaver, 4 years agoRated 5 out of 5Have successfully transitioned to the new version with the external Python helper application (on ubuntu, a version of python was already previously installed). For the previous version, I had "browsers" (actually custom scripts) specified by command line, and the UI for the new version made it relatively painless to re-create them. The biggest frustration was that browsers configured under the old version aren't automatically imported into the new version upon upgrade - and in my first attempt to set a browser up, I got my entry for the "name" and the "command" field the wrong way round - but after correcting that mistake, it worked first time.
- by Firefox user 13447818, 4 years agoRated 1 out of 5The requirement to have Python installed makes this pointless. I am on a work computer and can't install a thing.
I'm sorry you were neutered by the changes to Firefox.
- by Bash, 4 years agoRated 5 out of 5Пять звёзд за версию 6.8.6...
Вернулся на без проблемную версию 6.8.6, здесь хоть не надо устанавливать дополнительное "ПО"...
А разработчика я понимаю, не так легко подстроится под "Firefox 57", на который я вряд ли перейду, так как нужные мне приложения в нём не работают. А пока буду да последнего использовать "Firefox ESR 52".
- by Serge_del, 4 years agoRated 2 out of 5The new 7.O.2 version (compatible with new API) is not easy to install (under Linux)
- Download open_with_linux.py at the url moz-extension://f7e4c489-66f7-4d9c-b362-949f39d761c2/native/open_with_linux.py
- chmod +x the open_with_linux.py
- run it
- keep it in the download directory
- by Drumbeat, 4 years agoRated 1 out of 5Shame Firefox has gone and killed many add-ons. I can't even get this new version of Open With to work! I don't even understand what you are telling me, Geoff! Maybe I should ask Santa for some intelligence as a Christmas present!
Look, your extension's preferences highlight a 'click here to download' link, but click after click after click on that link does nothing! No link address opens. Baffled!
One final question: Should Open With work in Waterfox?
Thanks for trying, Geoff, and I've really appreciated your past work, but this newie version of yours is too much like hard work to understand, yet operate. Maybe somebody out there who has written positive feedback will let the rest of us know how on earth you got Open With up and running.
- by -terabyte-, 4 years agoRated 1 out of 5All of a sudden after the update the addon doesn't work anymore. I have to install PYTHON to get it working again?!? I've never heard of this kind of thing for any other addon so far. I've downgraded to the previous version even though it shows an OBSOLETE tag, once it's time to update FF I'll simply uninstall it, and search for a possible replacement.
- by Firefox user 13434810, 4 years agoRated 5 out of 5Open With is a classic among add-ons. I use the add-on for web development and to open links in desktop software. The developer has been maintaining the add-on for years and has even released a modernized version as a WebExtension. WebExtensions must adhere to restrictions that the developer has overcome with a Python script. This method works fine on Linux.
Many thanks to Dark Trojan!
- by Firefox user 13434744, 4 years agoRated 1 out of 5Open With stopped working with latest release, 7.02. I'm using Firefox 56.0.2 (64-bit).
First - crappy programming. As a retired IT professional I'd like to say if something else was needed to make your updated app work (I.E. Python), along with additional commands, they should have been included to execute in background, Rookie programming here.
It also would have been nice to offer a back-out option to the prior version so we didn't lose the entire function. BTW, I have happily used Open With since day one and I am really disappointed. Time to find an alternative.
Clarks Summit, Pa.
- by Marco, 4 years agoRated 3 out of 5this addon is fantastic but with the new version 7.0.1
I did not understand how it works
and what should be done in Step 3 and 4
i have downloaded the file and installed the program but I don't understand the final step
How the extension works when the file is downloaded what should I do ?
thank you in advance
- by Firefox user 10244801, 4 years agoRated 5 out of 5This is too complicated for me to get working. I need more info on the installation process.
PS. I use FF 56. Do I have to run 57 to get it working?
Edit: On +57 now and have looked more careful at installation process. Love it!