- by Firefox user 14976566, 2 years agoRated 1 out of 5Provata e a prima vista molto deludente (sembra solo uno strumento di propaganda), non basta che sia un quotidiano famoso e registrato per rendere le notizie: vere. Poi SI e NO è limitativo, sulla voce "Non pubblica ripetutamente notizie false" sarebbe bene avere una scala logaritmica da 1 a 10 per valutare quante notizie non verificate sono pubblicate. Non ripetutamente può anche essere una notizia falsa e non verificata alla settimana.
Non prenderà piede, senza aprire a qualche funzione social come votazioni da parte degli utenti / lettori sulle testate stesse.
Manca poi una voce sull'indipendenza politica, che è la vera piaga di molti quotidiani Italiani. soprattutto per le notizie che omettono di dare.
Sarebbe più utile un sistema simile ai filtri anti-spam, dove il punteggio è più complesso e presenta anche informazioni su quante fake-news sono state pubblicate e quanti giorni sono passati dall'ultimo evento. Invece semplici SI / NO basati solo sull'autorevolezza della fonte.
- by Firefox user 14637982, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5This plugin is an excellent resource for determining the general reliability of a news source..
It should be noted though that the plugin does not claim, nor could it reasonably claim to verifiy any news source as 100% reliable.
One further observation, almost every negative review comes from someone who tried to use this to verify their pre-existing assumptions about a news source, and dismisses the validity of the plugin because it does not confirm their existing presumptions - curiously enough the very target audience most biased sources prefer, imagine that.
- by Firefox user 14620593, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5There is no perfect solution to fake news other than taking personal resposibility for the time and effort requird to verify information. This plugin is simply a tool which can give an indication to how trustworthy a source is likely to be. There are a lot of lazy 1-star reviews from people angry that their most loved or most hated news outlet isn't rated how they want it to be. That is missing the point. I personally disagree with just about everything that is published by the British Tabloid "The Daily Mail" - but it gets a green rating overall and gets 6 out of 9 greens. half of these green ratings are for transparency - for all it's nasty content the mail doesn't hide what it is - it is the rightwing mouthpiece of Viscount Rothermere, a member of the British aristocracy. Whilst the reporting in the daily mail is heavily biased, this is not what newsguard claims to rate.
Furthermore - rather than criticise newsguard for changing the rating for the daily mail from red to green (as they recently did), I admire their openness to change. The mail previously rated less well for openness, probably because when contacted by newsguard originally they weren't forthcoming with the information requested, and deservedly got rated badly for openness. Once the mail made this information available newsguard rightly changed their rating.
I think the most helpful review below is unsurprisingly the most considered one, by concentricbrainwaves. I also agree that having an amber rating would be helpful, and in the case of the daily mail, would probably be appropriate. This is really my only negative - the overall rating is not as useful as it should be and to get genuinely useful ratings you will need to view the details 9-point breakdown. To make the overall rating more useful it should only be possible to get green overall with a higher score than 6/9 - probably 8/9
- by Firefox user 14619388, 3 years agoRated 1 out of 5Diese App ist nicht nur überflüssig, sondern gefährlich.
Überflüssig, weil man dann gelcih auf selbst denken und Internet verzichten kann und den Fernseher mit ZDF oder WDR einschalten kann.
Gefährlich ist es, weil damit die ohnehin schon schlimmen Versuche, eine ideologische Einheitsmeinung durchzusetzen, verstärkt werden (was wohl auch das Ziel ist). Demokratie, Meinungsfreiheit, Kritik an Eliten etc. soll weitgehend unterbunden, Alternativen aus dem Gesichtskreis verbannt werden.
Ein Beweis ist, dass Mainstreammedien natürlich als korrekt bewertet werden, selbst wenn krasse und offensichtliche Fake News verbreitet werden.
- by Firefox user 13436839, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5This plugin looks great! On the other hand, I'm probably not in the target audience, because I've so far been surprised by exactly none of its rankings. I really appreciate the fact that NewsGuard is taking this on, and I'm hoping that more people start using it.
EDIT: I've read a whole bunch of the one-star reviews, and most of them seem to be angry, but most of them are angry about green labels for sites that display bias. I think it's important to note that bias is almost entirely irrelevant to the goal of NewsGuard. NewsGuard doesn't tell you whether sites are biased, just whether they're telling you the truth. This is why Fox news and CNN both get green labels: you may not agree with which stories they choose to carry, but they both generally adhere to accepted standards of journalism: tell the truth, and admit it when you get something wrong.
- by Firefox user 14612070, 3 years agoRated 1 out of 5I checked many sites with this and it is very bias and untruthful. Perfect example they give Buzzfeed perfect green checks across the boar, Buzzfeed is a joke but they rate it perfect. Also CNN has perfect green across the board. CNN has had some miss steps lately should not be perfect green. Fox news got a few red x's and ok but CNN should be about equal to that as they are as far left as fox news is right.