- by Arthur Protagonist, 3 years agoRated 4 out of 5Great extension! Brings back some painfully missing functionality of the TabMix Plus add-on. The only option I'm missing is to duplicate / clone the current tab when opening a new one.
- by Firefox user 14325262, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5Displays a custom website as expected. Sadly the focus cannot be set to the URL bar, so I have to press «CMD + L» to set the focus to the URL bar in order to type in a URL.
Would be great if this could be fixed. I am using macOS Mojave with latest Firefox.
- by mark_e_h, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5Running 14.0.2 and the new tab continually reloads.
What I want is a blank new page, with the focus on the page instead of the address bar.
Developer responseposted 4 years agoabout:preferences:#home - you don't need an add-on at all for a blank new tab page.
about:blank is not a valid URL and can no longer be supported in New Tab Override. But it's not necessary because Firefox has a visible option.
- by Firefox user 14150796, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5It seems the Add-on also overrides tabs that are reopened via the "re-open closed tab" functionality. At least sometimes or if the tab in question was closed for more than a few seconds. Otherwise it is a very good and handy add-on.
- by dguest, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5Very nice. I ended up removing it because it will often add the default "new tab" page to the URL after I start typing, which I found frustrating. If it could somehow stop trying to load the default URL when the user is typing a new one it would be nice.
- by Firefox user 6696096, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5The Addon does the job, but the workflow with the address bar is far from perfect.
When you use "custom url" the addon makes the address bar unusable for the time it takes the browser to completely load the page defined in "custom url".
Let's say my "custom url" is "A".
I open the new tab and start typing the address "B" in the address bar (different from custom url).
1) If the page "A" loads before I finish typing url "B" all my typing was useless, because the addon overwrites my typed url "B" with "A". Or concatenates B+A (more often). I have to start over.
2) If I finish typing url "B" quicker then the addon loads the page "A" (custom url) and press Enter, in most cases the browser ignores my actions. And again, the addon overwrites my typed url "B" with "A". Or concatenates B+A (more often). And again I have to start over.
The only way to cope with this task is to hit ESC key right after Ctrl+T combination, to prevent Firefox from loading the page in the new tab.
As some people said before, it would be better, if the addon would leave the clean address bar and wouldn't mess with user typing. Manual URL entering should have priority over "custom url" loading.
If I want the defined "custom url" to load I would wait for the tab to load. But if I type the URL myself, don't reset the address bar, don't overwrite my entered text.
It's just getting on my nerves. But unfortunately my favorite bookmark-site doesn't have the Firefox addon, so I have to use some middleman-addon like New Tab Override. And the process reminds me of the windows 98 setup, where if to paraphrase they would say "sit back and relax while Firefox+NewTabOverride load the page. Then and only then you will be able to use the address bar to go to some other page"
if you have your CPU heavy loaded with some background task you can see the whole workflow:
Let's say I want to use some "search shortcut" ( "y" for YouTube)
1) I open new tab,
2) quickly type "y trailers" and hit ENTER (to go to YouTube and look for movie trailers)
3) Firefox starts to load YouTube search page
4) "New Tab Override" stops the process and loads the "custom url" instead