nice (but unusable with untrusted HTTPS certs) all-in-one kiosk addon Rated 3 out of 5 stars
Extension has lots of options.
First problem - can't realize how can I remove startup popup message about version, browser, OS etc. Extension should protect server from users and this popup tells lots of info to every user, which is not secure.
Please advice how can I remove it?
Upd.: Ok, found a way to remove banner but now facing second problem:
I want mKiosk to load https page with untrusted certificate. If I don't use "extensions.mkiosk.startup.fullscreen"=true page loads and user can click on "Advanced" and "Add exception..." button after.
If I use "extensions.mkiosk.startup.fullscreen" option then button "Add exception..." doesn't appear!
Why? Can't see the reason and can't use mKiosk
If I enable Internal mode (instead of public) and access firefox browser via VNC, the homepage doesn't load until any admin hotkey pressed. after, let's say, F1 pressed page redraws and freezes in new state (no actions performed on clicks) until next adminkey pressed. Really frustrating.
>> Rest assured, due to lack of donation and over-criticism of unfounded and non-constructive public mainly in this inappropriate place is what makes me think of removing and disabling mKiosk.
Why do you call this place "inappropriate"?
I think my review fits perfectly reviews section on mozilla.org.
I accept your argument about startup popup, no offence.
>> You should add all "potentially unsafe" pages in administrator mode
Sad, but this way isn't usable if you want to automate kiosk for a significant number of pages, loaded by script into user startup script.
Didn't mean to be rude. Thanks for developing free extensions like this.
P.S.: If anyone interested in automation task like mine, try chrome with --kiosk parameter. Works pretty fine.
Thanks for using mKiosk. But, this is not the appropriate place to deal with any doubts or possible bugs!
Please use the email.
I clarify here that in a new version the banner appears only every 12 hours in suspensive executions. This addon lives on the basis of donations, which in all years of existence are tiny, very small and already inexpressive (less than 1000 dollars in 7 years). Yes, it is the only way to show the existence of the addon. If you prefer not to display any messages, there are excellent paid options in the market.
Try using the simple "F1" key to configure mKiosk. Mecher internally in mKiosk options may not be a very easy option.
You should add all "potentially unsafe" pages in administrator mode, in normal administrator mode screen (F11 key). After that, in user mode it is not possible to do this. Because? For obvious safety reasons! Only administrators should be able to do this.
With regard to VNC access, it's complicated for me to develop add-ons to be used in default. Excuse me. The same is to be used as Kiosk, not with VNC. Using VNC to manage and find this an error is not complicated?
Rest assured, due to lack of donation and over-criticism of unfounded and non-constructive public mainly in this inappropriate place is what makes me think of removing and disabling mKiosk.
I will fix this error soon. It is being "Really frustrating".
Отличный мод! Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Мод отлично себя чувствует на школьном киоске расписание где детишки пытаются куда то залезть ))This review is for a previous version of the add-on (2016.10.1).
Great, but... Rated 4 out of 5 stars
In lubuntum 16.04 F11 key stills ative and not ask for admin password. But is a great addon!This review is for a previous version of the add-on (2016.10.1).
This place unfortunately is not fit to send bugs. Please send me more details via email so I can resolve this situation. I need more information in order to verify this. I could not reproduce and identify the problem here.
Great plugin! Perfect on Ubuntu 16.04 Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I tried an older verion of this plugin and I left a review (https://addons.mozilla.org/hu/firefox/addon/mkiosk/reviews/770959/).
Now, (after a refresh on our kiosk system), everything work fine on Ubuntu 16.04
Many thanks for the Developer! :)
Thanks for use.
If interested in translating for your language (Hungary), please advise. I add in comments about.
Muy buena aplicación Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Muy buena aplicación, tuve un problema y rápidamente me solucionaron el problema.This review is for a previous version of the add-on (2016.05.2).
Is wonderfull! Rated 5 out of 5 stars
It actly whats i was lookin for.
And just one plea - can be option "inncativity timeout" or have checkbox to disable, or have timeout more then 900 secs
Please set timeout to 0! It disable timeout.
Great add-on Rated 5 out of 5 stars
mKiosk is exactly what I was looking for and it does its job well. When I met a problem in combination with another add-on (superstart), the developer replied within short time, modified his program and provided an update within a few days.This review is for a previous version of the add-on (2016.04.2).
Best Kiosk Plugin Rated 4 out of 5 stars
This is by far the best kiosk plugin I have used. I set it up in multiple offices on multiple tablets across the United States and it has been consistently functioning for over a year.
The settings within mKiosk allow for even more customization that I haven't seen with other kiosk add-ons on any browser. Such as the ability to run additional add-ons (such as seamless print, stylish) allowed me to create the perfect kiosk functionality for the company.
I encourage anyone to try mKiosk if you are looking for a cheap/free solution to a kiosk software. Thank you for your hard work smarca!
Thank you. Is used as a kiosk for systems, you will like the new choices I made, allowing you to save passwords and forms and other mode to "internal system".
Great plugin. Powerful and responsive company Rated 4 out of 5 stars
A lot of people are complaining you can't disable to plugin.
I had an issue where I couldn't allow google hangout plugins.
Contacted them and they emailed me back within 20mins on a Sunday with a solution. (Press F11 for admin mode and it disables)
Problems Quitting with F-Keys // Pleas help Rated 4 out of 5 stars
Hi there, I really like your Kiosk. You did a really nice job.
I guess I just made a dumb mistake. The F-Keys doesn t work anymore. So I have no oppportunityto get in the menu anymore. Even de-installation does not work. What can I do to get in the menu?!?!?!
Technical limitation, sorry
Meet like, please let me know and I implement immediately. For now, I put a warning, is what I can do.
Is there a way where it won't erase passwords , etc. Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I am using linux, but I am just wondering, Would like to use it , to keep my kids only on certain sites, but need to retain passwords , cookies.This review is for a previous version of the add-on (2015.11.5).
NOVELTY mKiosk > 2016.4.1:
Hi Kiosk now operates in two modes, Kiosk or Internal System. Please select the internal system so that work satisfactorily.
In the case of Public Kiosk mode, the mKiosk was done targeting the privacy of users of public kiosk. Thus, clear cookies and passwords is critical. To enable the use of internal and proprietary systems by public, was allowed to keep the cookie of the home page if applicable.
The list of allowed sites, unfortunately this is a future implementation, not yet available (including for having excellent additions that do this and can be used in conjunction with the plugin).
Best Kiosk add-on available Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Does exactly what I need better then any other option I've found. I use it as a full screen kiosk with multiple bookmarks up top.
Only thing I'd like it to do it allow me to lock the bookmarks from being changed. Still a 5 star for me.
In this latest version the lock of the markers has been fixed. Please inform me via email if there is still a bug. Will be fixed.
Almost great Rated 4 out of 5 stars
It took _forever_ to set up.
a) It recommends ESR, but installs and works on normal FFX, but poorly. Disable "options", "downloads", "addons" didn't work, etc. I ended up uninstalling FFX and installing ESR just for this. It simply goes ape on 39-41.
b) Windows 10 does away with window margins. Firefox is correctly written, and full screen is adjusted correctly (Clientheight = Screen.height). mKiosk cheats and fake-full-screens by setting height, width (width=Screen.Width), etc which has 2 issues: First, it leaves a 4-pixel space around FFX in full screen which looks bad (maximize and full screen are not the same, and W10 shows it). Second, because it's not full screen, using fingers to drag stuff in FFX pulls the window down, exposing the stuff underneath. It can be fixed by entering admin mode (F11) which requires a password, and then hitting F11 again, which puts FFX is actual-real-fullscreen. Not a lot of work, but I have to be there to do it.
c) For some reason, Bookmarks toolbar is glued to this extension like crazy. Every time you exit client mode, it pops the sidebar, even when disabled, which makes auto-zoom extensions zoom poorly, which, in turn, makes the page look ugly. It also has Bookmarks on top, why Bookmarks over Bookmarks?
d) Start fullscreen checkbox becomes disabled after install, meaning I can't use another addon of Firefox's own full screen start any more; this addon makes FFX its twisted kind of full screen, which is not only too small on W10 but also the wrong size FFx making carefully crafted pages no longer fit, adding a scrollbar for 3 pixels.
e) I am unable to replicate this every time, MAYBE it's just in FFX normal (I thought it was in ESR, who knows), but sometimes mKiosk opens a NEW home page, instead of fresh start. I end up with 2 tabs, and that insanely ugly tabbar pops up. I'm not sure why that happens. Maybe my shortcut got mixed up and I started a HTML home page instead of just FFx. Who knows.
MOST of this isn't an issue. Which is why I'm giving it 4/5, it's a decent kiosk addon. However, the full screen hack has to go away (it's important) and options have to be optional, don't gray out full screen. I can install a different addon that makes FFx full screen. Another that auto-zooms. One extension cannot be the end-all on a target system, even if pretty good.
As soon as this gets a F11 full screen patch, I'm upping it to 5*.
Thank you for critical analysis
Reviews are always good. It is through her that we improve.
It would be nice if you can send me details via my e-mail support that is on the plugin page. The mozilla recommends not treating these issues on page assessments. I need details because English is not my native language ...
Can I pre write a few things:
- I believe you are not using the latest version of the plugin (2015.7.0). It borders were removed, all options must work ...
You tested everything in client mode? In administrative mode, everything is released. This mode should be used only for configuring, not for use on a daily basis.
- Indian ESR version because for self-service terminals is not necessary to have updates FF as constant. The ESR version comes out less often and is more stable. Yes works with the other. So it is only a recommendation.
- The plugin is designed to work through that "alone", without any further plugins. Sorry if there are incompatibilities among others fullscreen plugins. I did not go any further. I resolve if satisfactorily.
- The plugin has two modes: Administrative mode (not full screen) and normal mode or customer use. It is in normal mode the plugin should work on a daily basis. Appears toolbars bar in administrator mode sujestão was one of about 30 administrators libraries, it facilitates the configuration according to them. I am sorry if it bothers you. Its use is temporary, only to set up ok? In the future the bookmarks will be taken by central servers, so I released the statistics module. I believe that after desabilitarei this by getting unnecessary for large corporations.
- At the request of AMO the FF team, I can not get starting automatically in Full Screen. But the plugin saves the last state and has the option to go FullScreen automatically! If you can send me details of item "d" I thank you. The plugin is designed to multimedia touchscreen terminals (mostly). Creo that you can adjust to your liking. I am already working in the sizes of icons and toolbar, but for technical reasons still not able to fly. As for pixels, they were initially just asked by people using the touch screen. But later removed by reclamaçõs generate more than thanks. In the future there will be an option to please everyone. Recalling that in the current version, this is no more ok? Please update. It was released by the team at AMO just a few days.
- I believe that the item "e" has been corrected in this latest version. Remember that this geralmete behavior occurs if there is a home page ok? Please check.
- Zoom Options and others can be included through the FF own buttons. I will be implementing the option to include such buttons, improved to the plugin itself, so I go on vacation again we do (sorry but this plugin generates few donations, and so great changes I make in my everyday work only vacation).
If you can send me details, as even screens printscreen I thank you.
Also thank you to send me corrections translation of your language, or improvements in interpretation. Unfortunately I do not have resources to pay translators.
I wait your email and their collaboration to the project. Please check my mKiosk on the main page.
PT BR (Brasil)
Críticas são sempre boas. É através dela que melhoramos.
Seria bom se puder me enviar mais detalhes através do meu email de suporte que está na página do plugin. A mozilla recomenda não tratarmos destes assuntos na pãgina de avaliações. Necessito de maiores detalhes pois o Inglês não é minha lingua nativa...
Posso lhe pré escrever algumas coisas:
- Creio que não esteja usando a ultima versão do plugin (2015.7.0). Nela as bordas foram retiradas e as demais opções funcionam sem falhas. Voce testou tudo em modo cliente? Em modo administrativo, tudo está liberado. Este modo deve ser usado apenas para configurar, não para usar no dia a dia.
- Indico a versão ESR porque para terminais de auto-atendimento não é necessário ter atualizações do FF tão constantes. A versão ESR sai menos vezes e é mais estável. Sim, funciona com a outra. Assim é só uma recomendação.
- O plugin é feito para trabalhar meio que "sozinho", sem necessitar de mais plugins. Lamento se existem incompatibilidades entre outros plugins de tela cheia. Não me passaram ainda nenhuma. Posso resolver se for a contento.
- O plugin possui dois modos: o modo administrativo (fora da tela cheia) e o modo normal ou de uso do cliente. É no modo normal que o plugin deve trabalhar no dia a dia. Aparecer a barra de toolbars no modo administrador foi uma sujestão de aproximadamente 30 administradores de bibliotecas, ela facilita a configuração segundo eles. Lamento se lhe incomoda. Seu uso é temporário, somente para configurar ok? Futuramente os bookmarks vão ser pegos de servidores centrais, assim que eu lançar o módulo de estatísticas. Creio que depois desabilitarei isto por ficar desnecessário para grandes corporações.
- Por solicitação da equipe AMO da FF, não posso ficar iniciando automaticamente em Full Screen. Mas o plugin salva o ultimo estado e tem a opção para ir em FullScreen automaticamente! Se puder me mandar mais detalhes do item "d" eu agradeço. O plugin foi feito para terminais multimidia touchscreen (principalmente). Creo que podemos ajustar a seu gosto. Já estou trabalhando nos tamanhos dos icones e toolbar, mas por questões técnicas ainda não o pude fazer dinamicamente. Quanto aos pixeis, eles foram inicialmente solicitados justamente por pessoas que usam Touchscreen. Mas retirei posteriormente por gerar mais reclamaçõs do que agradecimentos. Futuramente haverá uma opção para contentar a todos. Lembrando que na versao atual, isto não existe mais ok? Por favor atualize. Ela foi disponibilizada pela equipe da AMO apenas a alguns dias.
- creio que o item "e" tenha sido corrigido nesta ultima versão. Lembrando que este comportamento geralmete ocorre se não houver uma home page ok? Favor verifique.
- Opções de Zoom e outras podem ser incluidas, através de botões do próprio FF. Estarei implementando a opção de incluir tais botões, melhorados para o próprio plugin, assim que eu entrar em férias novamente eu faço isto (lamento mas este plugin gera raras doações, e assim grandes mudanças eu faço apenas nas minhas férias do trabalho cotidiano).
Se puder me enviar mais detalhes, como até mesmo telas printscreen eu agradeço.
Também agradeço se me enviar correções de tradução da sua lingua, ou melhorias na interpretação. Infelizmente não possuo recursos para pagar tradutores.
Fico esperando seu email e sua colaboração ao projeto. Favor verificar o meu na página principal do mKiosk.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
A great add-on. The most intuitive kiosk add-on out there, even though I would really like to have the search bar back when in Kiosk mode.
Also, the address bar is always visible after installing mKiosk. Would have been great if auto-hide was still available so that when reading there is no address bar or tabs or bookmarks. To give more space to content. Nonetheless, a great add-on which deserves the five stars :).
Thanks. Please send me a screen shot in my email.
I resolve it in new version (https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/mkiosk/versions/).
Works well under Linux Rated 5 out of 5 stars
We are using mKiosk on 45 Linux-based computers since one year. The plugin offers all features we need and it's running very stable.
I can definitely recommend it if you want to setup a computer which should be only used for web browsing.
My only idea for improvement is to write a changelog.
Best free kiosk mode I could find Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I tried out quite a few kiosk modes but this one seemed to work the best. There are a good number of settings/options to choose from. I am using it on two self-checkout terminals in a small library. I have received some user feedback that they wish the bookmark tabs across the top were more defined so they could tell they were different "buttons." I have had a slight issue with our library catalog not staying logged in because the way the add-on was designed not to save the passwords. I tried to set the add-on to reset to the homepage after a period of time but can't seem to get that setting to work. All in all it works great for my needs.This review is for a previous version of the add-on (2014.5.1.1-signed).
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
This is perfect for my needs. We use it via nomachine terminal server as a kiosk where firefox is launched as a remote application on the server. Would it be possible to have a setting to allow closing firefox without the password?This review is for a previous version of the add-on (2014.5.1.1-signed).
Yes, as your request, the new version of firefox there is an exit button. See https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/mkiosk/versions/
exellent app mKiosk Rated 5 out of 5 stars
We downloaded the exellent app mKiosk, but we have a question: we use the Selfie sistem that need Flash Player and we like to let the authorizations always activated to use the webcam. Without the app it works, with the app it does not stay in the memory. Do have any idea of how to solve this?
Unfortunately, this is a Firefox's behavior, not the plugin. allow always, you should go addons, plugins and select the plugin saying that you always want to perform.
Outstanding solution, simple to administer! Rated 5 out of 5 stars
We use this software at a small college on a couple of kiosk stations around campus; one is to search a library catalog and the other two are for stand-up machines giving quick access to reference materials.
I've found this software to be a quick, easy, relatively elegant solution to the needs of the library staff. Very customizable, and runs very well.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Probably the best Kiosk solution out there. We can still use JRE and make this work. Love it! Wish I could lock the context menu on the Bookmarks Toolbar. But until that gets added (?) I will stick to this solution. It has been tested by co-workers and passes with flying colors. Good job!This review is for a previous version of the add-on (2014.2.1.1-signed).
Context Menu in Bookmarks
Removed! See https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/mkiosk/versions/