To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
About this Add-on
Ideally, in a kiosk environment, Firefox would be setup to automatically restart using something like a looping batch file or shell script. For example, in Microsoft Windows, you could replace the explorer.exe shell with said batch file.
- Adds a logout button, which quits the application, to the upper-corner of the program. The button is there simply because it looks nice in a kiosk environment.
- Sets firefox to autostart in private browsing mode.
- Removes most right-click context menus.
- Sets windows to open in only in new tabs.
- Disables changing the homepage.
- Disables downloading files with unknown content types (any file that would ask you to download it).
- Disables installing extensions, themes, personas, plugins, and search engines.
- Forces the browser to be fullscreen.
- Removes all shortcut keys.
- In a Microsoft Windows environment it will lock access to to the open, save, and print dialogs this will extend into all other plugins as well such as Adobe Reader and Shockwave Flash. This must be done on your own in other environments such as Linux. This however is not as big of a deal in those environment as it is in Microsoft Windows. The main issue in Windows is that one can execute files from the open and save dialogs.
It has come to my attention that due to the out of process plugin feature in some versions of Firefox, the extension may not block the Open/Save/Print dialogs that are created from the Flash plugin in Windows. The solution to this for now is to disable the ipc settings for the plugins that support it. I will try to create a solution for this soon.
If one wants to look at how the dialogs are patched the source to the xpcom component is in a folder called "source."
When installed the add-on modifies the following default settings to the indicated values.
dom.disable_window_move_resize = true
dom.disable_window_status_change = true
dom.event.contextmenu.enabled = false
browser.fullscreen.autohide = false
browser.download.useDownloadDir = false
browser.urlbar.autocomplete.enabled = false
browser.privatebrowsing.autostart = true
signon.rememberSignons = false
browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction = 0
browser.link.open_newwindow = 3
Fixed a bug where some dialogs were not blocked in certain versions of Firefox.
This add-on is not compatible with your version of Firefox because of the following: