This Addon works, but is just helpful in doing something which is not wise to do: Using plain regular expressions to scrape xml.
1. regex cant handle recursion (try to match all x elements in '')
2. Regex is context-free while xml is not (try to match all x elements in '')
3. Regex can not detect broken xml (try to match all elements in '')
Santinize the input and use XPath!
Well, not all the non well formed XML are fixed correctly with sanitizing tools. Since browsers error tolerance is really high, bad HTML is accepted everywhere. I had seen pages with so many levels of broken HTML that even BeautifulSoup - my favourite Python module - failed to correct it.
Everything exists for a reason, Regex is there when XPath is not the best choice.
opportunity for dev to create a new generation of RegEx powerusers to wield Karma Blocker ;)
It would be nice if the results weren't prepended by [#] : ...
It would be even nicer if it only displayed what was within capturing parentheses.
Great idea. I hope to see updates for firefox 3.5 ...
But not working with complex regexes. Hope you keep improving it, now that we match against source would be nice to save predefined regexes and jump to source once we get a match. If we could integrate it with the find bar (none of the available extensions seems to work well with FF 3.x, several are discontinued by developers) it would be even better, we could search source and display.
It would be great if we can contact by email or any Instant Message tools to discuss about my extension.
I'm always looking for new idea and improvement on this ext.
My email as well as Gtalk account can be found on this page.
Hope to see updates on this soon.
Doesn't search the current pages source code, just whatever you happen to paste into the content box.
To explain my last comment: No, I'm not a mass spammer - I was collecting e-mail-addresses from our internal corporate pages, and used this as an example only ;-)
By the way, the result go right into the clipboard - or else you could provide a button for that.
This is useful!
- add an input field for a *separator string* that would separate all matches in the result window instead of the numbers ,  etc. That's because I want to copy/paste the result to a text editor and do something with it! (Right now I need to cut off your line numbers by hand). Example: I would like to have a ; to separate all e-mail addresses that I have found on a web page.
- A history of RegExp that is persistent across the sessions (like a drop down menu for the input field). Leave the last RegExp as default for next start up.
- in ALT-R mode: use visible text from current browser tab, if content field is empty. (Right now you need to copy/paste it by hand to the content field)
But many thanks for what you did so far anyway!
First of all thank you for this tool, it is needed.
- It seems to mess up the context menu when viewing page source.
- The pattern input field need to be much larger.
- It is possible to change the size of the extension window (in page source view) but the "result" box remain unchanged.
thanks. it's really useful for me.
Found it useful sometimes, thanks dude ;)