- by Kiril, 8 months agoRated 4 out of 5This extension is the one that best fits to what I need.
I only would like the possibility to open the DeepL tab from the translation itself, only if needed not everytime. More or less like the Google translator add-on by Google in Chrome
- by Firefox user 16621721, 10 months agoRated 4 out of 5i think i understand what other users meant;
first, it only starts translating when highlighting then you hover over the highlighted text and by doing this, this will open a deepl website where the highlighted text will transfer to get translated then the translated text then gets back to the floating cloud/comment in which the translated text will be placed. what annoys people is the opening of deepl website and the blinking of the webpage (although this is a que for transferring data to each site, for me its ok but for other people who has epilepsy are fked).
second, i usually use double click to highlight all text inline rather than using dragging and because of this, some text were not transferred correctly to deepl (the highlighted text contain both english and japanese text). that is why other users experience sometimes blank or in my case incomplete text to be sent in the deepl website.
it seems you are not using an api for deepl for this in order to bypass the quota but in the expense of user experience.
this guy "To Google Translate by Juan Escobar" is my usual guy i use but since i want deepl and he has the same style as you but uses google's api thus will lead to quota but still faster and more responsive. the reason why this guy got less star reviews is because people don't check option and the option he use as a default is shit in my opinion
use deepl's api, it has quota but for better user experience.
edit: also discovered that special characters will remove other text thus leaving it blank (eg. 【 】)
- by Firefox user 14459681, 10 months agoRated 3 out of 5Solid 3 stars. It translates highlited text in new tab, but right after RMB click the page blinks couple times and the translation begins automatically.
UX == 0
- by Firefox user 14364664, a year agoRated 5 out of 5It does what I expect, but I would have one question. At least for me it does the translation in a way that it opens another tab with DeepL and then send the text there to get the translation and blink once or twice between this new tab and the tab with the text for translation. It hurts to my eyes... :) Is it possible to do that without that blinking and also without openning another tab next to openned ones? In similiar way how it's done by "ImTranslator: Translator, Dictionary, TTS" addon?
- by Tobias, a year agoRated 1 out of 5the same issue as described by user 13706974Hi,
Something may have happened with the latest Firefox update (which I have, and the add-on still works fine).
I'm likely going to unpublish this add-on as it seems like there is an issue that I can't see without more information and too many users are coming in and dropping one-star ratings very much out of my control.
The poor ratings reflect poorly on my other projects. I also get no benefit for users using this FREE add-on. I can't be motivated to devote more time and resources maintaining and investigating issues when users are unwilling to work with me to find out the bugs, and instead just drop poor reviews.
Seems very suspicious in fact, as many competitors that CHARGE for their add-on frequently do this to remove the competition that offer their services for FREE by driving their ratings as low as possible.
Thanks all for your feedback.
- by Firefox user 13706974, a year agoRated 1 out of 5Only two points move on the page. It just opens a new tab and shows an empty DeepL site with no source text or translation results. The translation result is not displayed in the page like the screenshot in AMO. It doesn't help anything.
It happens with the latest Firefox creating a new profile and installing only this add-on. I'm not interested in this add-on so I won't follow-up.
I mean I'm not interested because this add-on doesn't work at all. There are other add-ons for translation. I don't want to waste time with this add-on. I just wrote the fact that it doesn't really work. I don't think competitors will deal with add-ons that have only 180 users...Hi,
There is likely something very particular with your browser (other add-ons interfering, or browser settings disallowing communication between the add-on and the DeepL page). Sorry it didn't work out for you. I don't have any setup where I can replicate your issue, but if you wanted to follow-up with screenshots or a demo, you can do so at https://chrislo.ca/deepl/
(p.s. to address your edited comment, I also have the latest Firefox with only this add-on and it works fine. With no ability to reproduce the issue, I have no clues what to fix. Errors might be reported in the console but you've already claimed that you are not following up with the issue — unsure why you installed only to drop a one-star rating and not be interested in the plugin itself ... perhaps a competitor that charges for their similar plug-in?)
- by Merme, a year agoRated 4 out of 5Hello,
Great extension, clever operation. However, I found several bugs. Firstly, when the extension encounters a "/", it cuts the string and only sends the beginning to the translator. Secondly, very often hovering over the selection has no effect, other than reloading the background tab over and over again, with no popup appearing (especially when selecting a whole paragraph by triple-clicking). Finally, when hovering over the right edge of a translated popup (for example to reach the scroll bar), it tends to shrink and escape the cursor.
As an additional suggestion, it would be useful to be able to easily deactivate the extension with a button, to avoid hindering the selection when no translation is needed.
- by #98374, a year agoRated 3 out of 5It does not list all the DeepL supported languages once i click the addon's icon. So i can not set my language. Can you improve this please?
- by Johannes, a year agoRated 5 out of 5App does what I need :).
Would it be possible to give the user the option to open DeepL with just a Tab, not a new Window? Or maybe a Dropdown window attached to the DeepL Translator Symbol?
FYI: I wasn't able to post on your website. Gave me the message "Error: the Captcha didn’t verify."Hi Johannes,
Thanks for the feedback! I didn't even realize that comments weren't working on my site because the captcha wasn't showing up. Apparently it has been like that for months so I'm glad you brought it up here.
Firefox has strange behaviour where the translation wouldn't show on the DeepL tab unless it was an active tab, but I think I found a better workaround for it rather than having it show in a new window's tab. I'll release this new version soon (0.0.6).
- by HugoSS13, a year agoRated 4 out of 5Всё неплохо, но не хватает управления, хотя бы для перемещения окошка с переводом, ( его закрывают некоторые другие всплывающие окна: например, swift selection search).
- by Firefox user 15262330, a year agoRated 5 out of 5can you have a function to translate when you highlight the text, no need to hover it.That can be done. If you want to carry a threaded conversation you can always leave comments at https://chrislo.ca/deepl (that way you don't have to keep deleting the review and rewriting it to reply to my replies)