- by Shudushi, 6 months agoRated 4 out of 5Copy ShortURL is an excellent AddOn, exept on this URL:
Neither shortening with Copy ShortURL and tinyurl, nor bit.ly is working correctly, but copy the url and paste on bit.ly website is working fine.
UPDATE after developer feedback:
Shortened URL by Copy ShortURL (https://is.gd/eeQmwt) redirects to the right website (geizhals.at), but all the filters of the original URL are missing. Issue on github reported.
So it seems to me, that's something with Firefox and Copy ShortURL.
Maybe its possible for you to fix this.
- by Firefox user 14682106, 2 years agoRated 4 out of 5It worked well. But in Firefox 70.0.1 (x64) the problems are the same as bethel95 described: "URL is never copied into the paste buffer". On any sites. With any service. When bit.ly is selected: "No API key in preferences".
- by Raindog, 2 years agoRated 4 out of 5Thank you for this add-on, it saves me a lot of time!
I think I've found a bug: in the add-on settings, the checkbox to keep/remove the ?utm parameters is not behaving as it should. Though I unticked that option (https://i.imgur.com/nqIR24h.png) and then clicked on "save", it's still removing the parameters anyway. This was already happening before the last update.
When I shorten the same URL directly in is.gd, the parameters are kept, so I know the problem is not there.Thanks! I'll take a look!
I can confirm this and will follow up and fix it here: https://github.com/fwenzel/copy-shorturl/issues/98
[update] it is fixed in version 5.0.1!
- by Firefox user 14593111, 2 years agoRated 4 out of 5I like this addon but I miss one feature (for my workflow). I would like the option to simply copy the URL and no shortening taking place. (I need to paste it to another application. Some sites the short url fail and I suspect it might be an error on behalf of the webmaster but it disturbs my workflow anyway).
Edit: setting shortening service to none does not work since the shortening embedded in the HTML is still used. Many websites I have seen uses an invalid shortened url in their HTML.
- by StickGrinder, 2 years agoRated 4 out of 5This extension works really great and have a good deal of options and customization to match almost all use cases.
The missing star comes from a little UX annoyance. I admit it may stem from my former experience with another wonderful extension that didn't pass the infamous webextension flood.
Anyway, I'd like to be able to bring the extension icon in the address bar, namely where the bookmark, save to pocket and "more actions" icons are.
Really useful in my opinion. Plus I don't like the colored ruler icon at all. A less contrasted icon that can blend with the rest of the interface a bit more would be really appreciated, at least as an option.
Despite this, a really good extension that deserves a lot of kudos!These are good suggestions! I am not sure if there is an API for an extension to show up in the address bar, but I'll look. I filed: https://github.com/fwenzel/copy-shorturl/issues/92
- by Firefox user 14198913, 3 years agoRated 4 out of 5Really very nice. Moving computers I just found out that most url shorteners won't work in Quantum. One thing, goo.gl never works, throwing up an error.
Yes I did paste an api, still throws up an error.
Developer responseposted 3 years agoThank you! It seems Google's URL shortener service was discontinued.
I filed: https://github.com/fwenzel/copy-shorturl/issues/93
- by thalios1973, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5Great add-on. I love the simplicity of it. It's got some legs now that it's one of the few that works well with Quantum. A little polish here and there and a few feature adds (e.g. custom keyboard shortcut, ability to disable/change notifications in options vs about:config) and this could become the de facto shortener for Firefox.Thank you for the kind review! Good suggestions (I'll track some of them here https://github.com/fwenzel/copy-shorturl/issues ). I do not understand what you mean by about:config, all available options exist in the add-on preferences.
- by Serge_del, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5Why it send an error message on the proper page of "Copy ShortURL"?Can you file an Issue here? https://github.com/fwenzel/copy-shorturl/issues -- to answer your question, because Firefox will not let me run the add-on code inside addons.mozilla.org as a security measure. The error message says literally that.
- by frustrated, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5Regarding the bit.ly documentation it was a bit of a struggle to get the appropriate OAuth token generated. Bit.ly service can also use OAuth Webflow token. This addon requires the simpler OAuth token and it has to be used in the extension's Custom URL pulldown option rather than Bit.ly option.
I was using a now deprecated URL shortener which had an option that would also capture the Title of the page and insert that into the clipboard. I found this useful when pasting the information into email or on Twitter. This way one could see what the URL is for and saves having to type that information in.Why are you not using the bitly option? There's a link to where you can generate the API key and it works just fine for me. It looks like you made it harder for yourself than necessary?
If you have a bug to report, please go to github and file an issue there and I am happy to help.
- by taja, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5This is probably the best URL shortener i'I've come across for FF, and it works with FF 57! One thing though: I'd like to disable notifications as they're distracting and a bit unnecessary. I saw that an issue on the github was opened for this, but was then closed. Any chance the option to disable notifications can be added as a checkbox in the preferences?
- by Kartana, 4 years agoRated 4 out of 5Very nice app. Would be nice if I could disable the pop-up or set a pop-up time though. Maybe an option for the future?