- by Firefox user 17229354, 6 days agoRated 1 out of 5This add-on is now closed sourced as the maintainer made the repos private
Developer responseposted 6 days agoSome unscrupulous users were fishing for new features and requesting that another developer implement each and every new feature released for this extension, so I had no other option.
- by Fetcher, a year agoRated 1 out of 5Today I've updated to fresh version of this addon and it has replaced all my carefully made searches with a load of useless default ones. Good job.
Developer responseposted a year agoSorry for the inconvenience. If you didn't make a backup of your custom search engines list, you may still be able to do so, but it's a bit of a laborious process. Please view my message to @ghmv here: https://github.com/odebroqueville/contextSearch/issues/82
- by Mithrán, 2 years agoRated 1 out of 5While "Search selected text using your preferred search engines" does not necessarily mean the ones added in your browser, it will be understood that way by many users who will be disappointed when they see the actual functionality of the extension.
Sadly, you have to manually set yourself every single search string. If you have many search engines added, it will be a taxing endeavor.
If there was some way to export search engines and this extension could load the exported engines onto itself, then it would be worth using if you have many search engines. Otherwise it's still better to copy the text, paste it into the search bar, and then click the search engine icon in the search bar.
Developer responseposted 2 years agoWe've looked into ways that would enable us to import search engines that have already been added to Firefox, but Mozilla's Search API does not allow us to have access to the search query strings. That information stays hidden from developers, so we can't import the built-in search engines into Context Search. We have sought help from Mozilla to allow us to import search query Urls, but they have refused in a very authoritarian way. Thanks for your understanding and rating. It's very encouraging!
- by Firefox user 15291916, 2 years agoRated 1 out of 5It did not pick up all the search engines from my search box, and automatically included several I didn't want instead.
Developer responseposted 2 years agoMozilla's Web extension API does not allow for the feature you would like and we have never advertised that the extension offers the possibility to import your search engines from Firefox. Unfortunately, this has to be done manually in the extension's preferences page. Please be fair and reconsider your rating.
- by Martinus Grovsky, 4 years agoRated 1 out of 5- Violates my privacy by leaking all my search engines to the opened website when using 'icon grid' mode. They are added to the document and can be read out by the website.
- Violates my privacy by leaking the URL of the website where I use the 'icon grid' to all search engines (via referrer).
Apparently this extension was developed without any privacy in mind.
- The "Multiple tabs search" is not what I expected because it lets me define only a single set of search engines that are used. So you have to use the same engines on each search.
Developer responseposted 4 years agoHello Martinus,
1) Your privacy concerns have been addressed in version 3.58 released today. URLs should no longer be leaked, but bare in mind that the 'id' and 'title' elements associated with each grid icon depend on the names you choose for your search engines. If you need more privacy, you may want to use numbers instead or words with a meaning. Please let me know if you still see some reason for concern.
2) Feel free to enter a new feature request for multiple sets of 'multi-tab searches' here: https://github.com/odebroqueville/contextSearch/issues , although I feel this should be an extension on its own.
Thank you for your interesting input.
In the future, I suggest you register a feature request on github, rather than shooting the developer! We have spent a lot of time and effort developing this extension for the pleasure of its users and it's not very encouraging to receive ratings like yours as a reward.