Rated 4.4 out of 5
4.4 Stars out of 5
- by Demilvx, 3 years agoRated 4 out of 5It's great, but there's an issue - when the grid layout is enabled, it completely disables right-clicking anywhere else on websites (e.g. on images). When disabled, right-clicking works again. Please improve this.
- by Sean Ryan, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Very useful extension - thanks! A few questions:
1) Is there any chance you could automatically trim leading/trailing spaces from the selected text before passing the search terms in the associated URL? When you double-click text, Firefox always includes the trailing space and when that is passed on to the website, the required page is not loaded e.g https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/%s I've noticed that most websites themselves do the trimming, but the one above doesn't hence I'm asking for a helping hand from your extension!
2) I've noticed that whenever the Context Search sub-menu appears there's a short (tiny) delay after the menu text shows before the icons for each entry shows. Is there an opportunity here for a performance improvement in the extension, or is this actually Firefox behaviour?
3) The help text says "Right-clicking on a text area inside a web page without previously selecting some text will highlight the word under the mouse pointer". However, this doesn't happen: I've tried a number of websites and if you haven't selected text, then "Context Search" is not listed on the context menu when you right-click. I'm not hassled by this because I always double-click words, so just thought I'd let you know.
Thanks again for your hard-work - the extension out-of-the-box is great.
- by Carequinha, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5How do I make a seach engine url if the text to be searched is in the middle of the search url? Like this: https://www.google.co.il/search?q=SEARCHTHISWORD&hl=en&sourceid=mozilla-search&tbm=isch&gws_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=3pUeWsvZIdDJwQLfm4f4Cg
- by LeeU, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Awesome extension! Thanks! However, I wonder where could I obtain the information (SE URL) to add new search engines? (I know you're waiting for Mozilla to provide access to installed SE so I am trying to add them myself.)
Thanks again!Hi. Thanks for your review. You usually can look at the generated URL when you do a manual search. For example, on https://www.urbandictionary.com/ when I type in "fandom", I'm redirected to https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fandom. Drop "fandom" from the URL. The URL that remains can be added in Context Search (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=).
Should you have any further problems, feel free to open an issue at https://github.com/odebroqueville/contextSearch/
Thank you for using Context Search!
- by MarkShephard91, 3 years agoRated 4 out of 5Great extension, but in my opinion it would be perfect if in the popup menu instead of using the right mouse button would be directly with the left. Youtube in popup menu does not appear in the normal yes. Then enter the option in the normal menu to hide the 3 items (Multiple, Search, Options).Thank you for your review.
We're constantly looking at ways to improve Context Search.
Your idea about activating Context Search with the left mouse button is definitely a good idea. Since it will take quite some work and at the moment we have more urgent issues to tackle, this won't be available any time soon (if you know how to code you're welcome to submit a pull request).
The option to hide the 3 items has been added in the latest version of Context Search.
Thank you for using Context Search.
- by Jack Furlong, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5The Ben Basson extension lives again! Does _exactly_ what I wanted. Lets you add new engines by selecting "options" at the bottom of it's context menu. Well Done!
- by Firefox user 13446532, 3 years agoRated 4 out of 5How do I delete an option box??
image : http://image.fileslink.com/4277483ae3c3189/problem.png
- by Firefox user 7100302, 3 years agoRated 4 out of 5Coming from Context Search X I'm glad there's a worthy alternative.
I have a SUGGESTION regarding the url connection to the favicon service via proxy:
why not make a call ONLY if a new search engine has been added by the USER?
And store all favicon/pics so no further calls are needed.
And if you also include an option to disable all (further) URL calls to whatever destination (proxy or not), maybe everybody would be happy (I hope).
- by ADvi, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Is it possible to import my search engines that already presents in search box?Unfortunately, this is something we can't implement right now due to technical limitations in the webextensions API. If and when Mozilla developers give us access to the search bar, we will definitely provide you with the possibility to import your search bar search engines into Context Search. For the mean time, I'm afraid you'll just have to be patient as these things can take some time.
- by Firefox user 6328373, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5Amazon search / all departments:
open preferences - enter above line at Amazon - save preferences
- by Anjelus, 3 years agoRated 5 out of 5This really streamlines my browsing. Is there a way, though, to modify the Amazon search to search all departments rather than only for books? That would be perfect for me (not that I don't appreciate the book-only search).If you delete the Amazon (book search) engine you can add a new search engine with the following URL:
That gives you all results on Amazon, not only books.
Thank you for using Context Search.