Rated 4.5 out of 5
4.5 Stars out of 5
- by platinum, 9 days agoRated 4 out of 5In response to your question "After you've imported your custom search engine (after the Firefox update to version 79), does the problem disappear or do you continuously have to re-import your custom search engines after restarting Firefox?"
Yes, the issue is still there everytime I restart Firefox.Strange! I'm having difficulties trying to reproduce this bug. Would you mind entering an issue over at https://github.com/odebroqueville/contextSearch/issues detailing the steps that will allow us to reproduce the bug. Please also include the version of Firefox you're using and your operating system.
- by max221, 10 days agoRated 5 out of 5This is without a doubt my favorite extension. There isn't a single day that passes when I don't use it. I'm so saddened to learn that it will no longer be supported and removed. Thank you for all your hard work...Hi max, many thanks for your encouraging review. Due to the many emails received asking us not to take the extension down, we changed our minds. Occasionally, careless Firefox updates break our extension as is the case with Firefox 79. We're investigating the issue and hope to come with a fix shortly.
- by AHA, 13 days agoRated 1 out of 5With Firefox 79, this extension does not work anymore. Firefox now forgets all search engines and loads default engines at start. :-(
Added after developer's answer:
My review was telling only you the facts. If the addon would work as advertised, I would have removed my 1-star-review.
BTW: the extension "Selection Context Search" works great in Firefox 79.
Developer responseposted 13 days agoWould you please enter an issue over at https://github.com/odebroqueville/contextSearch/issues
detailing the steps that will allow us to reproduce the bug and which OS you're using. Thanks in advance.
- by Sarkos, a month agoRated 4 out of 5It's a useful add-on, but I have an issue and seemingly no way to report it, since the github repo has disappeared. So here it is: could you please remove all of the console.log calls from the selection.js file?
- by Mithrán, 2 months agoRated 1 out of 5While "Search selected text using your preferred search engines" does not necessarily mean the ones added in your browser, it will be understood that way by many users who will be disappointed when they see the actual functionality of the extension.
Sadly, you have to manually set yourself every single search string. If you have many search engines added, it will be a taxing endeavor.
If there was some way to export search engines and this extension could load the exported engines onto itself, then it would be worth using if you have many search engines. Otherwise it's still better to copy the text, paste it into the search bar, and then click the search engine icon in the search bar.
Developer responseposted 2 months agoWe've looked into ways that would enable us to import search engines that have already been added to Firefox, but Mozilla's Search API does not allow us to have access to the search query strings. That information stays hidden from developers, so we can't import the built-in search engines into Context Search. We have sought help from Mozilla to allow us to import search query Urls, but they have refused in a very authoritarian way. Thanks for your understanding and rating. It's very encouraging!
- by Maverick, 3 months agoRated 5 out of 5It is a great plugin but after the new update the settings started to reset. There is a problem in version 3.9.1. Settings are broken when you close Firefox. I installed 3.9.0 again. It works perfectly. I hope this problem will be solved with the new update.
Developer responseposted 3 months agoThank you for your review. Would you please report the bug over at https://github.com/odebroqueville/contextSearch/issues by specifying exactly what is broken and detailing the steps required to reproduce the bug. That would be most helpful. Thank you in advance.
- by aptharsia, 6 months agoRated 5 out of 5I've been using this add on for years, thank you developers! But adding it recently, my search engines keep resetting when I restart my browser, how do you stop that?
- by Firefox user 15291916, 9 months agoRated 1 out of 5It did not pick up all the search engines from my search box, and automatically included several I didn't want instead.Mozilla's Web extension API does not allow for the feature you would like and we have never advertised that the extension offers the possibility to import your search engines from Firefox. Unfortunately, this has to be done manually in the extension's preferences page. Please be fair and reconsider your rating.
- by Firefox user 15241320, a year agoRated 4 out of 5Its great., however can I suggest one feature:
Would love for a few of the searches to be directly on the right click menu rather under the Context Search drop down menu.
- by Firefox user 15126044, a year agoRated 4 out of 5This one now deletes my custom search engines whenever I open the browser, but it used to work perfectly. Hopefully, there will be a fix for this soon. I appreciate all the hard work done by the developers to make a great add-on.