Be careful with old versions!
These versions are displayed for reference and testing purposes. You should always use the latest version of an add-on.
The Brief feed reading interface has been migrated to run in the content process, which makes Firefox UI smoother.
Custom styles for the Brief UI outside the reading area (feed list, fixed buttons, etc.) are most likely broken due to the rewrite. CSS selectors used in them need to be changed.
- brief.sqlite shrinking should work again.
- Several overflowing labels are now ellipsized...
- Brief shortcuts work correctly with Quick Search and do not activate from the main Firefox UI.
- Images for the first run page are now bundled with Brief.
- Added a German localization.
Changes since 2.2.1 are summarized below.
- Compatibility with Firefox 48
- Add Traditional Chinese localization
Changes since 2.2 are summarized below.
- Fixed bugs
- Too wide images caused horizontal scrolling
- Feed header was too wide for narrow screens
- Feed and item titles were cut off instead of ellipsis
- Items were partially outside view on narrow screens
- The tutorial link did not show right click menu
Changes since 2.1 series are summarized below.
- UI: use a badge-like unread item counter on the Brief icon instead of the old one on the side. This also fixes several bugs with icon and label alignment.
- Fixed bugs
- News item updates were never detected
- Tag list did not display correctly
- Wide items required scrolling the whole feed view
- Long feed titles pushed the controls off the screen
- Unsubscribing from a feed was not working
- Unstarring an item was working incorrectly
- Clicks in the margins used to cause unexpected actions
- Feeds could jump in the list if subscribed multiple times
- Too long labels on buttons caused the sidebar to be too wide
- The tutorial did not open from the Brief tab
- Behavior changes
- Do not open release notes on every Brief update
- Force revalidation of cached feeds on update
- Firefox version compatibility updates
- Internal cleanups
Fix styling for <article> tags leaking into content</article>
- Completely new look!
- Redesigned interface to make some things easier to find and quicker to use.
- Simplified subscribing to feeds. Just pick Brief as the subscription method
instead of manually adding a Live Bookmark to the home folder.
- Organize button that allows you to manage your feeds.
- Today folder, showing today's items from all feeds.
- The choice between headlines view and full view is remembered per-feed.
- An easier way to collapse an expanded item in headlines view.
- Unread folder has been removed. It was unneccesary because All items
provides the same if you press the button to show only unread items.
- Option to change the home folder location has been removed.
- The options window grows in size every time it's opened. It's gonna cover the entire planet unless we stop it.
- Brief doesn't work well with RTL text, especially bi-directional.
- Greek characters handled incorrectly in date labels in headlines view.
- Toolbar button fits better with the new Firefox theme, Australis.
- Changing the name of a feed does not work.
- Sidebar isn't refreshed when reordering feeds.
- Favicon doesn't initially show up when a feed is added.
- Restored the old behaviour of opening link in the background when left-clicking.
- Added Ukrainian localization.
- Brought back Italian and Greek localizations.
- Impossible to untag items in recent Firefox versions.
- Better descriptions of item dates for recent items (5 minutes ago, 1 hour ago etc.).
- More consistent shortcuts for scrolling and selecting items:
- Space / Shift + Space scroll by screen in headlines view, by entry in full view.
- K / J scroll by entry.
- U / I scroll by screen.
- Option to exclude feed's items from overall unread count (thanks to Moritz Schallaböck).
- If a single feed has been updated, its name is shown in the sliding notification (thanks to Moritz Schallaböck).
- Modified items are sorted by their original date, instead of the modification time.
- Relative links in feed content work correctly.
- Correct plural forms are used in languages with complex plural forms.
- Firefox's preferences for opening links in tabs are respected more accurately.
- Database can get corrupted in some circumstances, rendering Brief unusable.
- Feed title isn't a link any more in Firefox 17.
- Changing feed's address in the feed properties window isn't saved.
- Custom feed CSS style is not saved on Linux.
- Marking items as read works quicker.
- In some localizations, garbage characters were displayed in item dates.
- Redesigned, more compact headlines view.
- Cleaner list of feeds: number of unread entries displayed in a box on the right, more spacing between folders.
- Improved responsiveness.
- When storing limits are set, old items are expired immediately after a feed is updated.
- Database is periodically compacted in the background. The prompt when emptying Trash has been removed.
- Improved N shortcut (mark all items on the screen as read) not to affect items that are visible only in small part.
- Updating progress meter isn't displayed when Brief is opened after feed updating has already started.
- What's New is shown for fresh installations.
- Quickly switching or updating feeds may cause Brief to load items infinitely, making Firefox hang.
- A bug where items from different feeds get mixed up.
- Romanian localization added.
- Spanish and Greek localization updated.
- Add the toolbar button to the Navigation Bar for users who upgrade to Firefox 4.
- Memory leak after closing Brief.
- Clicking on the sliding notification opens Brief in the current tab instead of a new one.
- Feed items sometimes get mixed up between feeds.
- Typo in the options window.
- Clicking on the status bar icon doesn't open Brief.
- Feed view doesn't refresh when feeds are updated and Brief is in a background tab.
- Spanish translation added.
- All items folder at the top of the sidebar.
- Feeds are not paginated, items are loaded as the user scrolls down ("infinite scrolling").
- Rearranged and simplified toolbar.
- New shortcuts to mark all items on the screen as read (N) and to quickly scroll up or down by 10 items (I and U).
- Improved performance when updating feeds.
- In Firefox 4 the number of unread items can be shown on the toolbar button, now that the status bar is gone.
- Items are opened in new tabs by default.
- Some keyboard shortcuts have been rearranged.
- Reorganized options window.
- Trash folder doesn't show the number of unread items.
- Sliding notification about new items doesn't work.
- When a feed is being updated its icon goes blank.
- Items aren't deleted properly when Trash is emptied and keep taking up space on disk.
- If a feed contains errors, Brief will try to retrieve as many items as possible instead of ignoring it.
- Fixed: Items with the same date aren't displayed in the order in which they appear in the feed.
- Fixed: Unread items count no longer shown when a folder is closed.
- Fixed: Some feeds with invalid dates get stuck loading indefinitely.