To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
About this Add-on
Originally I designed this for print.google.com and www.imdb.com
But unfortunally these example pages did change their protection (at least on some pages) and are now using different layers that lay over each other, so that this plugin does not provide any help here anymore.
So at the moment will not provide any external example pages, although this mechanism is probably still used on quite a few pages.
Here the explanation how it works: Because since these pages place a transparent gif on top of the real graphic you can't just right-click an image and select "Save Image As..." because then you would just save the transparent gif (which is probably not what you want ;-)).
So this simple extension just adds a 'Save Background Image' option to the right click context menu which does the trick.
Furthermore it is helpful if you want to be able to directly save the backgroundimage, since Firefox does not offer this option by default.
How to do this is described on my homepage but you do not need any marklet to achieve this.
It does indeed not work on Flickr.com since they use a different approach (several divs) to prevent storing of their images.
I might consider changes in a future version.
And as always everyone is responsible for himself in deciding how to use this plugin.
It does not encourage anybody to violate copyright regulations in any form.
* added options menu (accessible either via Tools menu or via extensions)
* added option to display name of the backgroundimage in contextmenu
* added option to display icon in contextmenu
* added option to display icon in tools menu
* added possibility to store image directly to default directory without displaying filedialog first
* removed error when image was also a link
* removed save entry from tools menu