Rated 4.5 out of 5
4.5 Stars out of 5
by Firefox user 12889199, 2 years ago
Rated 5 out of 5
You might want to have a look at the settings though, it looks like when I click 'save options' the options don't actually get saved and it actually restores the options I had before editing them, and so I need to change the settings twice for them to work.
- by Korwin, 5 months agoRated 2 out of 5Firefox 68.0b8 (64-bit), Windows 10. Не работает. Из Google Keep передает строку вида "https%3A%2F%2Fplay.google.com%2Fstore%2Fapps" (https://hkar.ru/YAyu) вместо "https://play.google.com/store/apps" (https://hkar.ru/YAyv). Соответственно, поиск ничего не дает. Из GMail (https://hkar.ru/YAyw) вообще ничего не вытягивается.
- by Onurtag, 9 months agoRated 5 out of 5Archive.is moved to Archive.today (or archive.fo). I could add it as a custom url but can you fix the built-in website link?
Thanks for the great work.
Edit: Archive.is domain is working again.
Developer responseposted 8 months agoThanks, i'll try to change that in the next version. But if you want report a bug or problem, use the "support email" on the left of the main addon page in "More information", because i don't look very often to the user review.
- by brain8891, a year agoRated 1 out of 5THE ONE star is just because of the excessive permissions, the add-on look awesome and I wish if it was integrated with reverse images search add-on, so you wont have to install two add-ons which will consume more resources, and i think anyone who would do reverse search for images would also use archiving services..
1- It ask for too many permissions and GRoblin did not add a description for the reasons of these permissions
2- there is a bug on full HD monitors where the options can't be viewed till you zoom out, and then, unfortunately, it is hard to read. if you have two monitors drag it to the monitor with lower resolution to view the settings, or alternatively zoom out.
3- Just a suggestion add these two services: downforeveryoneorjustme.com and isitdownrightnow.com
My reply to GRoblin: I sincerely apologize for the bad grammar previously. I rephrased my review to be more intelligible, so please go back and reread it.
1- Why am I suggesting to add in the description about the reason for each permissions? In some cases a user like me would not understand why the add-on need some permissions and that applies to your add-on specially because other similar add-ons did not request similar permissions. for example look at S3.Translator description: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/s3google-translator/
No he/she didn't explain in detail for some of the permissions for example store unlimited data, Mozilla allows storing some data for each extension without permissions from user and I don't think settings occupy that much of data. For the sake of transparency and your amazing add-on add detail explanation in the description and I promise my review will go to 5 star and it will be installed on my Firefox.
In future, I think it is better if you shared these link which is more user friendly:
2- It is not about the zoom level control from your side;What I mean is when you zoom out you can view the add-on settings. I can't tell if that bug is from Firefox side, but it is easily fixed by changing the width parameters or having the extension settings in a separate page to alleviate this issue temporarily. Why am I suggesting that? Most users will uninstall the add-on. It really should be fixed, but then it is my humble opinion. You can also report it to Firefox when you discover the reason, I think it is because the settings width is too large; it is just a guess.
3- it is great that we can add more services, in fact your add-on is one of the best. However, these two services is aligned with the goal of the add-on and other similar add-ons that I tested had one of these two websites.
Why I suggest adding at least one of these services? Many times when I see a website is down, I would first check to see if it is down just for me or everyone then when I get the answer, I go to see an archive of it either temporarily till the site come up again or permanently if it is down for all.
Thank you for replying and keep on doing the good work.
Developer responseposted a year agoIf you don't want allow permissions, don't install addon, permission are the functions used by the addon, a description is here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions/manifest.json/permissions
"Read and modify bookmarks" is used to bookmark archived pages or "Download files..." is used when downloading file with save as or when using save to local.
The monitor problem seem a problem with the browser not my addon, i don't have zoom setting set in option page.
I've added an option to add the url you want but it's an archiver addon, not an addon to test for website availability i can't do all with my addon.
I don't understand your problem with the permissions of my addon, google translate ask for more permissions and google translate is not similar to my addon, it use very different functions and i can't change the width of the option page or make it on another page, sorry but i don't know where is the problem.
- by Firefox user 13813662, a year agoRated 5 out of 5Great addon! This makes archiving stuff sooo much easier, as well as reducing those nasty 404's. I also really like the customizability! There's only one issue that I've noticed. I tried to set the Video URL to "downie://XUOpenLink?url=[URL]" in order to open the link with Downie ( https://software.charliemonroe.net/downie.php ). It seems that this doesn't work; it tries to expand the string to an HTTP URL. How can I get around this limitation?
Developer responseposted a year agoYes, it was made for url of website not local application, i'll try to fix that in a next update, but i can't test it because your software is for mac and i don't have it !
- by Firefox user 13059320, 2 years agoRated 5 out of 5I have been using this add-on for months now and can say with confidence that it does what it promises without any problems. For my research I have to back up large number of websites to archive.org and can easily do it with this add-on. Also, its feature that you can retrieve a webpage from Google Cache or Archive.org also proved to be useful numerous times.
- by FIBER0PTIC, 2 years agoRated 5 out of 5Just added to my samsung s7 and samsung galaxy tablet 10.1.
I have not had time to play with this yet however i am sure it will save time. I will give a full review after i test on all devices.
I look forward to adding this to my PC and going to tube sites like Pornhub and VideoX. This addon could be setup to auto save every video on a page if i read correctly. If a video is 240, 480, 720, 1024 etc will it save all videos or just the best quality video??? And will the addon auto crawl 1 level deep and grab related videos? Will the addon save a history and not redownload the same video.
Thabk you in advance, FIBER0PTIC
- by Flengo, 2 years agoRated 5 out of 5Thanks for this kind of extension; I've been looking for something just like this for a while.
A couple issues/suggestions:
1. On right-clicking the toolbar icon, there is no "get cache from selected" button.
2. Disable certain context menu items / Be able to customise the context menu items.Thanks, for the first question, the number of menus i can show on toolbar icon is limited by firefox but in options you can choose the action of the icon in the section "Toolbar Button Action on Click" and for the two i've started to do that in the section "Archivers Displayed in Context Menu" of the options page.
- by difabor, 2 years agoRated 5 out of 5Thank you! Very powerfull!
Can you add the sentence "Don't forget to save your options by pressing 'Save options' button!" in the options window of your addon?
The addon has a lot of options and if the user doesn't know, that he must press "Save options" button, he'll spend a lot of time until find out that he must do it
- by Firefox user 13189858, 2 years agoRated 5 out of 51) Is there a way to decrease drop-down list / reorder items of archivers according to own preferences?
2) toolbar button action on click: 'get cache from choosen archive' needed
UPD. toolbar button action on click: just adding 'custom script' option would be great too.
Is it possible to execute some JS code simply by pressing toolbar button? Like this one from comments in ghacks arcticle
For the script, the option is already available with "save to script" in toolbar button options.
- by UltraMagnus, 2 years agoRated 4 out of 5would be perfect if it had an option to automatically archive every page visited.For the options to save page i know, but to add this fonctionnality need a lot of complex work, very more than all the functions currently in the addon ! Update: Since more recent version, you can use "Autosave Tab" function to do that.
- by Dmac2, 2 years agoRated 5 out of 5well done, a trimable (sic) history option (perhaps in page like about:config to show save history) could really augment this. something like store X amount of archive history.
but even still this adds a VERY easy manner to archive something you suspect will disappear at some point.
edit: I didn't know about the archive.is history, thanks.
still though, if a config page could query the history looking for archive.is and display list it may be useful to some.
especially if we could export that list (csv maybe?) so we could maintain an non browser dependent list of pages we archived easily. honestly many may not benefit from that, all depends on how you use the archive system.
super easy to use, like this a lot.Yes, but archived urls are already stored in firefox history like others urls. To get all archived page with archive.is, search "archive.is" in firefox history. In new version 1.3.4, i've added option to save archived urls to bookmarks.