Rated 4.7 out of 5
4.7 Stars out of 5
- by Firefox user 13109970, 2 years agoRated 5 out of 5Whoa! This addon is a game changer. I never liked how Private Tabs works in Quantum, since it limits you to opening a private tab in a new window.
This addon corrects the ridiculous private tab changes, and makes opening a private tab (temporary container) even better!!
I have two questions for the developer.
1. Can you add an option so when a link is opened in a Temp Container it will switch to the tab immediately. Currently it appears it will just open the tab in the background, and you have to manually switch to the tab.
2. Is there a way I can add a mousegesture command to open a link in a Temp Container? For instance I use a mousegetrues addon named Foxy Gestures. I can configure a mousegesture so when I swipe up on a link, it will open that link in a new tab. Would it be possible to do the same with this addon, so I can add a mousegesture so when I swipe a link with a mousegesture it will open that link in a Temp Container?
Thanks for this addon. It's BRILLIANT!!!! 5 STARS AND MORE!!Glad you like it!
1. You could configure Left Clicks (Global or per Website) to open in a new Temporary Container - that way they get focus.
2. In a future version there will be a way to activate "Isolation" (Global and per Website) which will open *all* Tabs and Links opened by Tabs in a new Temporary Container - even when opened programmatically; and that's what's happening with Foxy Gestures. With that feature you could achieve opening Links with gestures in new Temporary Containers. Another way would be to get in touch with the Foxy Gestures developer and ask him if he'd be willing to implement an API for other WebExtensions that allows to register to events inside the Foxy Gestures WebExtensions (that way I could get the information that the tab was opened by Foxy Gestures).
If that doesn't help, you need further assistance with configuring or you got some Feedback from the Foxy Gestures Developer then please open an Issue on GitHub (https://github.com/stoically/firefox-add-on-temporary-containers/issues).
Edit (18. Feb 2018):
Support for Foxy Gestures User Scripts are now available, you can find them here: https://github.com/stoically/firefox-add-on-temporary-containers/wiki/Foxy-Gestures-User-Scripts
Edit (6. Mar 2018):
The "Isolation" feature is now available
- by Andrei Shevchuk, 2 years agoRated 5 out of 5Very cool!
One minor issue, though: in right click menu "Open Link in New (Container) Tab" option "No container" does not work, link is still opened in temporary container.
Also, it would be nice to have an option to open external links in temporary container with regular left click (without Ctrl).
Thanks for this addon!Thanks!
Unfortunately it's not possible to open Links in "No Container" in "Automatic Mode" using the right click context menu (or at all at this point). I have to look into that more and see if it's possible from a technical standpoint - if it is, I'll fix it. Additionally a keyboard shortcut for opening "No Container" Tabs is planned too.
I will add opening external links (domain not matching) with only left click as a preference - but you should keep in mind that some sites use an outgoing tracker (e.g. google) on the same domain and hence such clicks would not be opened in a new Temporary Container.
Edit (2. Dec 2017):
It's now possible to use the RightClick ContextMenu on a Link "Open Link in New Container Tab" > "No Container"
Edit (8. Feb 2018):
Took longer than anticipated - but since version 0.34 there's also the possibility to configure regular left clicks to open temporary containers
- by Firefox user 11842536, 2 years agoRated 5 out of 5Great addon, makes managing temp containers effortless. I especially love the way the new tab button now opens new containers, it makes it a decent replacement for private tab!
Suggestions that would make it even better:
- Random container colours.
- Custom prefix names for containers (Maybe I think TempContainer23 is a little long).
- Hotkey to override new container when I click on the "New window" option in the menu.Happy you like it!
Option for customizing Container-Colors and -Names should be no problem, gonna implement that together with the Preferences-Feature for the Add-on.
If I understand you correctly regarding the Hotkey, you mean a Hotkey that opens a "New Window" without a Container. If that's the case, then yes, support for opening Tabs/Windows without a Container is also planned.
Edit (27. Nov 2017):
Preferences for configuring of Container-NamePrefix, -Color and -Icon is now available. Default NamePrefix changed to "tmp".
For now the only way to have "No Container"-Tabs is to deactivate the "Automatic Mode" in the Preferences.
Edit (2. Dec 2017):
There are now Keyboard Shortcuts to open "No Container" Tabs even in "Automatic Mode": Alt+N (New Tab) and Shift+Alt+C (New Window)