- by Karoline B Bakke, 8 months agoRated 2 out of 5I used to really like Dark Reader, until it seemingly ruined firefox for me. Now, I have some websites that will only work if I enable Dark Reader, as the text often is permanently white. This is a problem that has stayed even after I disabled Dark Reader. The only thing that works is completely reinstalling firefox. Some websites just don't look as good in dark mode, so not having the option to turn it off sucks. It also started slowing down my browser like crazy, so it has its fair share of issues.
- by Firefox user 15824905, 10 months agoRated 2 out of 5I noticed the page loading on my laptops was very slow. I checked the connection, traceroute etc.
It turned out that it was this extension that delayed the loading of the website. It's understandable since it needs to translate the CSS of each page to dark mode.
The idea behind it is cool but the HUGE performance hit makes it not worth it.
It may work fine on computers with newest Ryzens but it sure doesn't work well on my company 1.7 Ghz CPU
- by Ari B, 10 months agoRated 2 out of 5This started out great but over time has become and increasing nuisance. It really would be best if it had some sort of machine learning in it that allowed intelligent display of a page based on the page's settings, not necessarily this app. Renders Ecosia searches illegible and frequently makes pages look dusty rather than making them more readable; dark grey text on a taupe background is actually really difficult to read. It also eats up memory like nobody's business. Won't be using again, i'll just turn down the whole screen brightness and deal with it.
- by Matze, a year agoRated 2 out of 5- Das Add-On macht das laden der Seiten sehr langsam.
- Die Farbwahl/Kontrast und Darstellung ist nicht besonders gut gelungen. Teilweise sind einzelne Texte überhaupt nicht zu sehen.
- by MX, a year agoRated 2 out of 5Hace que el navegador funcione muy lento, y eso es una cosa que valoro mucho de los navegadores, por eso solo le doy 2 estrellas, pero el resto de la extensión es perfecta, solo le falla eso.
- by Ama Zinger, a year agoRated 2 out of 5Auto-detect does not work at all, at least on Android. My phone is in night mode, but this extension completely ignores it. I remember when I could manually set when to turn this thing on, but seems like developer cut this feature.
- by Sinbad, a year agoRated 2 out of 5It used to work without problems but ever since the last update it works 5 times out of 10. Most times now I have to turn it off since it makes some major sites (like eBay, Amazon, and Google products) just load and run as slow as a turtle duct taped to a boulder. If it didn't have those moments of slow down then it would be the perfect product.
- by Firefox user 15086627, a year agoRated 2 out of 5Great features and really saves my eye strain. Unfortunately it makes your browser extremely slow. Some sites take over 30 seconds to load with this add-on enabled. When you disable the add-on the sites load fine.
- by Firefox user 13482431, a year agoRated 2 out of 5Update: Tried to use this as this is the one of the only ones that seems to "work" on the mobile Firefox platform. But today I had to uninstall it. The script that this addon keeps crashing and I have to either "stop script" or "continue" when it does crash the page. This addon is absolutely clumsy... Grateful that it is free, but even though it is free, it is unuseable...
I really tried to love this extension. After getting a notice that a Dark Mode extension was no longer certified or checked or whatever the mozilla folks are determining safe use was no longer safe, I switched over to this one since it was "recommended" and seems like mozilla was ok with it (whatever the hell that means).
The interface is clumsy, can't you just implement a simple switch?
When you do turn it on or off, you have to refresh the page, which sometimes destroys the content of the page.
I really really tried to like it, not give it one star cause you deserve an extra start for effort, but the quality of this extension is an F. It's clumsy, too many options (just give us dark mode, 99% don't care to tweak the little things, it gets in the way).
Why are "dark mode" so hard to implement? Just flip the white to black, black to white, and if the pages don't come out right, we'll just force it back and complain to the webmaster. I just don't get it.