- Rated 1 out of 5by HonestReviews, 3 years agorevisited 7-3-22: Just another dishonest incompetent "free" vpn than cannot keep your login data. Their programmers are too lame to design a gui that doesn't disappear everytime time your write your user name and pw in it. Haven't changed their gui since I first reviewed it years ago. These guys must be script kiddies using prepackaged program because they obviously don't know what the hell they are doing. I c Mozilla dropped them from their search dbase had to use another search engine to even find it. Of the 50 or so "free" vpns I have tried, only one is any good and I'm not gonna tell you which one, but it's not windscribe and they don't deserve their high ratings here.
update 7-14-21 last two or three times I tried windscribe it was so slow that it was unusable. Still have a LOUSY selection of hard to find free proxies hidden behind a hideous and unresponsive GUI.
update 6-23-21: Just another lame "free" vpn. Terrible slow hard to use GUI. Practically NO free proxies and when there are you have to spend a lot of time hunting for them cuz the GUI is so sucky and slow. They have not changed the GUI in at least the last couple years and it still sucks-slow and flaky and filled with proxies u cannot use cuz you did not send them money. Better than Hoxx though in that it keeps it's proxy connections whereas Hoxx will dump your connection at the blink of an eye.
update 6-10-21: no improvement in crappy UI-lazy developers. Slow to load and use. hard to search for free proxies, confusing UI. Still give you: cannot find tab error-too stupid to connect unless you're already have a web page loaded.
once your data allowance is met, pain in the but to renew it. Once connected though the ips seem fairly stable. The OTHER really annoying thing about windscribe is that you cannot enable it easily once you have disabled it because it won't let you under FFox you have to keep trying to set it to activate and it doesn't hold. Bad programming at their windscribe. All these shitty vpns are a dime a dozen and none of them is much good.
update 12-26-20: Now mostly using major free competitor of windscribe. Almost given up on windscribe as it's too flaky and terrible unresponsive GUI. Cannot find browser tab, wtf is that? Looks like they are using a cookie to track your surfing. Other free vpn I am now using has mostly good server, fast connections and MANY more free proxies, including a few residential proxies that cannot be id as a proxie. Also no arbitrary small data limits either. Windscribe used to be pretty good but has deteriorated over time.
update 12/17/20: THe high star ratings this vpn gets are testament NOT to it's quality but to the very poor performance of all "free" vpns. When it works, it works reasonably well, but most of the time it's just FLAKY. Cannot connect because it cannot find the open browser tab even when the browser is connected to a site. Very few "free proxies" They make you hunt for them and their GUI is a PITA to use, slow and cumbersome. Today their servers lost my login info and I had to relogin cuz they could not recognize that I was a long time user. I wonder if ANY of these "FREE" vpns will ever amount to anything. Not holding my breath and from their "FREE" services performance, not sending them any money either.
update 12/2/20: Much better last week. stable servers mostly, still hard to find the free ones requires a lot of clicks. often get the "cannot find tab" error requiring closing of browser ff and reloading. Connects sometimes automatically on browser open which is good. The user interface could be made more user friendly and easier to use. Takes too much time to navigate to what you want. mini popups to explain the buttons are in order.
update: 11-18-20: really deteriorated, extremely slow both to connect and in data transfer. Very few free proxies, takes forever to find one. Diconnects on "autopilot" so even they cannot find a working proxy. Obvious they do not want free users. Had trouble connecting to make this review maybe being blocked? Another lame "free" proxy. BS.
Better than most, BUT same as all the others-will not allow access to any website that uses software to ID proxies. None of the free vpns do this and most of the paid ones do not either. You need residential proxies for that and they cannot afford to offer that for free. So if a webpage is blocking proxies you're SOL-u will not get in. Same for sites like netflix. SO SLOW ACROSS SEVERAL PROXIES THAT IS IT ALMOST UNUSABLE. in firefox but kudos that they kept my login credentials even after over a year not using-shows they are professional. Also they often answer problems here many vpns do not. If they had residential proxies that could not be blocked that would be special.
- Rated 1 out of 5by Firefox user 15689257, 3 years agoAwkward to use. Customer services not interested and do not do as asked. Windscribe takes your money and leaves you locked out. There is a reason why they are no where near the top 5 VPNs and I have discovered it. Use somebody else and don't waste your money.What exactly was the problem? Our support is good people, they will not leave you hanging like that. If an issue cannot be resolved (rarely), we provide a refund 100% of the time.
- Rated 1 out of 5by WannaBe, 3 years agoI rarely need VPN and it is usually OFF. But since the changes in the Windscribe addon interface (in the last few versions) this annoying thing (windscribe addon) keeps turning itself ON and connecting. The option Auto-Connect is OFF. But the addon just doesn't care. One minute you are browsing the internet using your ISP direct connection, the other minute you are browsing using VPN. WHY?????!!!!!! I had to disable the addon completely, because this new Windscribe unpredictable behavior is driving me nuts.
- Rated 1 out of 5by Vitaly, 3 years agoThey made it "forget" on/off setting on start up so that you can waste your free 10 gigs within some days and that way they hope you will buy premium. Such a disgrace, unbelievable. It worked perfectly well before that.
- Rated 1 out of 5by ant, 3 years agoSecure Connection Failed
It is not working with Version 71. I have no problem with the chrome extension nor the desktop but firefox states there is a problem. I have changed all the proxy settings...still will not connect