Fortress of Louisbourg - 1
The fortress of Louisbourg is located on Cape Breton island, Nova Scotia. This National Historic Site of Canada was built by the French in 1720 and completely destroyed by the British at the end of the Seven Year's War (1760).
The fortress and town were partially reconstructed in the 1960s, using some of the original stonework and providing jobs for unemployed coal miners in the effort. The Louisbourg site is now operated by Parks Canada as a living history museum.