Bedømt til 4,2 ud af 5
Bedømt til 4,2 ud af 5
- af wsensor, 2 år sidenBedømt til 4 ud af 5My last review had said about a problem however that was caused by it being disabled on a website.
However I wish I could still get the menu to popup from the icon (only turns it on and off T_T) instead of having to use the menu icon that is in the search bar. As the search bar icon does not show up if the plugin has been disabled on a website.
Svar fra udviklerenskrevet 2 år sidenHi,
Thanks for using Owl. I understand the recent design change isn't the best interface for Owl and that the previous UI was a lot more intuitive. Unfortunately, I was forced to change the design because the newer Firefox API (Webextensions) doesn't allow for custom drop-down buttons (like the one in v1.x). I'll try my best to look for a workaround for this, as many users (myself included) miss the old interface, but till that happens we'd have to work with this one :)
Thanks again for reviewing
- af Firefox-bruger 11655100, 3 år sidenBedømt til 4 ud af 5I tried many extensions to dark/invert websites, but OWL has worked excellent for me. I really like the way it handles inverted colors. Love the quick toggles to activate/deactivate. The best!
A couple suggestions: Maybe you could add a keyboard shortcut to toggle whitelist on sites automatically. Also, IDK if it's possible to exclude images from being inverted, or make it work on the Firefox pages, but it'd be very nice. Thanks!
EDIT: It breaks Particle for YouTube (Youtube+) addon, specifically the floating player :(
- af Firefox-bruger 12371211, 3 år sidenBedømt til 5 ud af 5EDIT, This issue has now been fixed, thankyou :)
I read on another review that you are going to fix this "update popup" soon, its extremely annoying loading up links to FF but instead of seeing the page I want I get the same Owl update tab shoved in my face, please fix!
Svar fra udviklerenskrevet 3 år sidenHi,
Thanks for using Owl. Something went wrong at the last moment when I was pushing the update that messed up the addon. A hotfix update has been uploaded to Mozilla for review and should be available soon. I understand that the repetitive popup is annoying, and it will go away with the hotfix.
- af j3d1H, 3 år sidenBedømt til 5 ud af 5I'm not quick to say the new version is extremely better than classic, but they have their pros and cons. Overall, I love that this makes websites darker and easier on my eyes.
I also do not like the white flash, but chrome addons like deluminate have this as well, so I'm not complaining much. I kind of wish it changed scrollbars to be darker.
- af warpasylum, 3 år sidenBedømt til 5 ud af 5Has all the features I want, especially white-listing. Makes all the difference. The problem is that on some webpages both the regular and classic theme make the page a solid gray, so it doesn't work on every single site.
I use a separate night mode addon for when this happens, so it's a minor inconvenience, but otherwise this addon is great.
- af GoldenBoy48, 4 år sidenBedømt til 3 ud af 5Dark reader in chrome (but chrome has the new tab white flicker, hence, the switch to firefox) doesn't have this white flicker and was great. Hope the dev can fix the white flicker when the page loads (the page first loads its light theme, then a second later, the add-on converts to dark theme.
- af Lycanthrope, 4 år sidenBedømt til 3 ud af 5Unfortunately it has an issue that results in the obfuscation of images or videos on certain sites. It also seems to forget to enable itself when opening the browser.
Presumably it also can't do much about the brief (but annoying) white flicker when sites load.
Otherwise, it's the best on Firefox and uses much less harsh "dark" variants than Deluminate does on Chrome. However, Deluminate has fewer problems.
So... round and round we go.
Here's hoping it improves.
- af Firefox-bruger 11547646, 4 år sidenBedømt til 3 ud af 5Does as it says, however, for the sites in which I specifically set to disable, I end up having to set the permissions for each site individually, EVERY time I open firefox. My cookies allow for your extension to operate, yet the extension fails to apply the correct theme (if any) to the sites I specify- even though everything shows correctly, exactly as I'd set it to my preferences in the 'configure website settings'.....
- af Omnyojii, 4 år sidenBedømt til 5 ud af 5Awesome Addon for my collections. One small issue I've found is it gets drag on the upper page after turning it off other than that is good. Optionally you can add brightness ruler with a default reset to make it more user friendly.
- af PenguinElevator, 4 år sidenBedømt til 5 ud af 5The white-to-black conversion works like a charm, making this the best night mode type addon I've tried. It actually makes pages not look like they've broken when converting them ;)
Only thing I've got a problem with is the setting not being saved. Pages I've set to "Disable Owl for this website" and such, are wiped every time I restart Firefox. I'm unsure, however, if this is intentional, or just me having conflics with other addons (like cookie wipers, scripts blockers, etc).
Except for that, a great addon indeed! Great work!
Svar fra udviklerenskrevet 4 år sidenHi,
Thanks for the review, I'm glad Owl works well for you. The non-persistence of disabled websites is abnormal, and there must be something interfering with Owl's proper functioning.
Perhaps if you could provide me a list of addons you are currently using, along with your platform and Firefox version details, I might be able to reproduce and solve it. You can reach me with the details from either the Owl drop-down panel or the contact link on the AMO page (Sorry, can't place a URL in a review/reply)
- af Davide, 4 år sidenBedømt til 4 ud af 5Good work overall. The darkening technique provides comfortable colors with attention to preserving contrasts.
Tips for improvement:
The hotkey activation combo alt-shift-d isn't quick to type and in the rush can easily be mistyped for the alternative alt-shift-c, causing wonder and requiring further time to undo the wrong combo and retype the correct one.
The toolbar button is somewhat too complex with its pulldown menu; the button is intended to be used routinely, maybe tens of times per day, and I already see myself accidentally clicking that pulldown arrow all the time and dodge with its menu. I'd prefer that button to be simple, single-purposed, without any sub menu. The donations button contained in that menu could be moved over the configure_sites.html page.
- af Firefox-bruger 12225468, 4 år sidenBedømt til 5 ud af 5Today I download many addons like this, but this one rocks!
I wonder on 4 stars only for disabling messenger on facebook with owl theme, on classic works nice but looks more ugly. If you fix this one then it will be the best addon!
- af MAK, 4 år sidenBedømt til 5 ud af 5I apologize, come to think of it I did not check options for this addon and should have. Thanks for having already included the option for Owl starting up when the browser starts.
As far as Flickr goes, that classic setting works for the homepage. When I go to my photostream (the page where I see all my photos that I've uploaded), classic theme still doesn't work there.
EDIT: Lol, funny - on Flickr's homepage I have to use Owl's classic theme, but on the photostream page I have to turn classic theme off and it works.
You have checkboxes in the Owl toolbar button for "Use classic theme on this website" and "Disable Owl for this website" -- can you maybe add those same options at page level too? Such as "Use classic theme on this webpage", and "Disable Owl for this webpage"? I think those "page-level" options might help cover every scenario.
- af darkocean, 4 år sidenBedømt til 3 ud af 5The only thing missing is if this was coded so that form areas like search areas are highlighted so you can see them. And also menus. To find things I have turn the add on off.
- af adinas, 4 år sidenBedømt til 5 ud af 5Turns all the text light and all the backgrounds dark. Keeps everything else the same so you can still see images and such which is why I prefer it to FireFox Reading Mode which will sometimes remove image and links to the next page in multi page articles.
- af Firefox-bruger 12041350, 4 år sidenBedømt til 4 ud af 5By far the best darkening solution I've come across.
It changes backgrounds, text colours, borders and pretty much everything into comfortable shades of grey and blue, that do not tire the eye as fast as the more common black background white text that usually comes with global nightstyles. It does not slow the loading of pages down noticeably, and the pages are seamlessly converted to a darker variant before drawn on the screen. Despite the wide variety of different layouts and styles on sites across the web, this addon turns them into a readable dark twin, almost to a fault. Really impressive.
Using this makes every website easy on the eye, but it breaks
functionality from time to time. When everything is grey, it can get a bit tricky to locate input fields, such as search fields for example. Some inlaid images, borders and other elements also gets converted to the background grey, in effect making them disappear. This usually makes little difference, but some pages looses thumbnails and interactive buttons to this effect. TorrentFreak.com looses its newsfeed thumbnails, Gmail looses it check boxes and wikipedia math equations get impossible to read for example. Ultimately I can understand the developers choice to hide these elements, as I have seen other alternatives such as 'Night Mode Pro' addon or 'Global Dark - Stitch Customs v2' style-userscript that tries to keep these elements. This means you have to turn the extension on and off, which can get a bit tiresome.
When you click on some text, as you would when you try to mark a selection of it to copy, the entire text turns white as opposed to light grey. I have not yet come across a situation where it becomes obvious why this functionality is needed, and I find it a tiny bit annoying.
Some features that I think would even further improve this addon:
- The ability to switch the text highlighting off
- A customizable blacklist of websites to not turn dark (on these pages one could then use a custom style-userscript, and not have to turn owl on an off. I want it turned on all always.)
- A hotkey to owl on and off
- An option to start firefox with owl turned on per default.
Very good addon, even if it has no options.
(A solution to the wikipedia's equation problem could be installing https://userstyles.org/styles/105844/wikipedia-dark-st for those interested)
- af Michael, 4 år sidenBedømt til 5 ud af 5I've used just about every night mode add on there is, I spend alot of time staring at my monitor and i have sensitive eyes. Some of them will miss part of the page, some will make the text unreadable, who could blame them? every page is laid out diffrent. But this one excels where most failed. it's not too high contrast and it work just about everywhere and seems to adjust with the page instead of displaying a mess. Excellent work!