where you get: "404. That’s an error. The requested URL /images was not found on this server. That’s all we know."
Since the author didn't respond, I wrote my own extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-image-ssl/
It offers these benefits:
- enhanced privacy, because ie/oe/rls parameters (see above) are removed from URL
- updated icon, hence easier to distinguish within Firefox' search settings
- size info overlay band/stripe at each image's lower end (saves clicking Tools -> Show sizes)
- Google typically detects localization correctly on its own, hence no locale added to URL
- cleaner URL is easier to edit, if required ;)