Classic Compact is designed for those who want a very compact theme that minimizes vertical space consumed by menu, tool, tab, find and status bars and maximizes the space available for the browser window. This theme is one of the most compact themes available on addons.mozilla.org
and is highly customizable.FF29 UPDATE UNDER DEVELOPMENT
An update to Classic Compact for Firefox 29 is under development. Due to the complete change in the default Firefox theme, Classic Compact has to be rebuilt from the ground up starting with the new default theme. This update of Classic Compact is the most labor intensive update I've had to undertake since I first made it available on the Mozilla Add-ons site in 2006.
I have done some initial work on rebuilding Classic Compact for Firefox 29 and what I have come to realize is that I will have to make some compromises at least initially. I may also have to disable some of the options in the Classic Compact Options panel just to get Classic Compact released in a more timely manner. There will also be more reminents of of the new Firefox Australius theme than some users will like (e.g. with the tabs). My hope is to eventually provide an additional option for users to choose between a more traditional Classic Compact look and the new Australius look.
My chief concern is to make sure the new version of Classic Compact stays faithful to its primary mission of being a very compact version of the default theme.SUPPORTS WINDOWS, MAC OSX & LINUX
Classic Compact fully supports Windows, Mac OSX and Linux. This makes Classic Compact an ideal theme for those who work on multiple OSes and would like Firefox to have a nearly identical look and feel across all platforms.AVAILABLE OPTIONS
SAVE MORE SPACE BY USING SMALL ICONS
- General Options:
- Toolbar Button Sets (see screenshots)
- Firefox 4.0 Windows (default)
- Firefox 4.0 Mac OS X
- Firefox 8.0 Mac OS X - Lion
- Linux Gnome Human
- Linux Oxygen
- Firefox 3.0 Windows XP - Green
- Firefox 3.0 Windows Vista - Blue
- Firefox 0.9-2.0 Windows
- Firefox 0.9-2.0 Mac OS X
- Classic Compact 3.0
- Classic Compact 2.0
- Toolbar Back/Forward Button Background color (see screen captures):
- None (default)
- Green (like FF3 WinXP)
- Blue (like FF3 Win Vista)
- Orange (compatible with Linux Gnome Human)
- Button Borders:
- Yes (default)
- Back/forward buttons only
- Background Style:
- Gradient backgrounds (default)
- Gradient only buttons & tabs
- Flat all but tabs
- Toolbar Dividers:
- No dividers (default)
- chiseled dividers
- Border Corner Styling:
- Rounded corners (default)
- square corners
- round tabs only
- square scrollbars only
- Classic Compact styling (default)
- OS native
- OS System Colors:
- Light/gray backgrounds (default)
- Dark/black backgrounds. This option is users of really dark operating system colors. It changes the critical black/dark glyphs to white and light hues. This option does not change background colors of theme.
- Menus & Tabs:
- Merge Menubar into One Button:
- Tab Clip Width: integer value: This sets the maximum width tabs are allowed to be.
- Tab minimum width: integer value This sets the minimum width a tab is allowed to be. The smaller this number is, the more tabs that will be shown before Firefox starts scrolling tabs.
- Tab Close Buttons:
- On all tabs (default)
- On active tab only
- Hide entirely
- End of tab bar
- Open searches in new tab:
- Display tabs in titlebar (only applies when menu bar is hidden and tabs are on top):
- When browser is maximized (default)
- Display RSS feed icon in URL bar:
- How Compact (These options allow you to control the height of each toolbar. Option settings are: -4, -2, 0, +2, +4 & +6):
- Menu bar height
- Navigation bar height
- Personal bar height
- Custom bar height
- Tab bar height
- Add-on bar height
To use small icons, right mouse click on menu bar and select "customize" or go to "View": "Toolbars": "Customize" then check the "use small icons" option."HIDDEN" CONFIGURATION SETTINGS
Due to the turn around time it takes to get labels for new options translated into the fifteen languages Classic Compact supports, there are currently two options that are only accessible via "about:config". These will be added to the main options panel in an upcoming version once their labels have been translated. The "hidden" options are:
KNOWN AND/OR REPORTED ISSUES
- Adjust tab position in title bar in maximized window"about:config" key "extensions.classiccompactoptions.toTabsInTitlebarAdjustmentMaxWindow"
This option will raise or lower the position of tabs when the option "display tabs in titlebar" is set to "always" and the browser window is maximized. Positive integers will move tabs higher on the title bar. Negative integers will move tabs lower on titlebar. The purpose of this setting is to allow users to adjust tab position such that they touch the top of the desktop window if they do not touch the top by default (e.g. Win7 Border Padding is set to less than 4). It could also be used to lower the position of tabs if you don't want tabs to touch the top of the titlebar (e.g. so there is some space to grab on to the titlebar).
- Adjust tab position in title bar in normal/restored window"about:config" key "extensions.classiccompactoptions.toTabsInTitlebarAdjustmentNormalWindow"
This option will raise or lower the position of tabs when the option "display tabs in titlebar" is set to "always" and the browser window is in normal/restored mode. Positive integers will move tabs higher on the title bar. Negative integers will move tabs lower on titlebar.
- In Win7 - Tabs don't always reach top of titlebar when window maximized. This is caused by using a non-default "border padding" in Windows. To fix this follow these steps:
- Open about:config and find the key "extensions.classiccompactoptions.toTabsInTitlebarAdjustmentMaxWindow"
- Slowly increase the integer value of this key until the tabs are where you want them to be (positive integers raise the tabs and negative integers lower the tabs).
- The add-on Movable Firefox Button (MFB) is incompatible with Classic Compact when placed in the tabs bar. I have tried to resolve the compatibility issues but couldn't find a solution. Since Classic Compact's Firefox app button now uses the Firefox icon instead of text, MFB has been made unnecessary if the desire is a smaller Firefox app button when tabs are in the title bar. MFB does work just fine when placed on other toolbars.
Every effort is made to ensure Classic Compact work seamlessly on different operating systems and with other add-ons. If you have problems with Classic Compact working correctly (e.g. tabs not displaying properly, etc.) please try disabling your other extensions to find out if any are causing a conflict. Once you figure out if another extension is conflicting with Classic Compact, please contacted me via the Classic Compact support thread on the Mozilla add-ons forums
or via my webpage for Classic Compact
.CLASSIC COMPACT SUPPORT, SUGGESTIONS & FEEDBACK DISCUSSIONS
If you have any questions, suggestions, ideas or feedback for Classic Compact, please join the Classic Compact thread
on the Mozilla add-ons forums.CLASSIC COMPACT FOR FIREFOX 29 (AUSTRALIS) UNDER DEVELOPMENT - BETA TESTERS URGENTLY NEEDED!
As of Firefox 29, the default Firefox theme is being completely overhauled with a new interface that Mozilla is calling Australis. Because of the extent of theme changes in Firefox 29, I have to completely rewrite Classic Compact from the base Firefox theme. The last time a complete rewrite of Classic Compact was necessary was for Firefox 4.
With a complete rewrite, I dump all the old Classic Compact CSS code and start over from scratch. As part of this, a lot of user testing is required. If you would be willing to help beta test Classic Compact for Firefox 29, please see my theme testing thread on the MozillaZine forums
. The first post of this thread always has an updated link pointing to the first post for the latest round of testing and a link to the latest test build of Classic Compact.
I'm especially in need of OS X beta testers as I do not personally have access to a computer running OS X. However, any testing and feedback for any OS iis greatly appreciated.PLEASE HELP TRANSLATE CLASSIC COMPACT INTO YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGE
Would you like Classic Compact's option panel to be available in your native language? Please help with the translation. You can help translate Classic Compact's option panel into your native language at: http://www.babelzilla.org/index.php?option=com_wts&Itemid=0&extension=5161&type=show