- كتبها mezcal, منذ شهر واحدمقيّمة بِ ٥ من ٥This has been one of three esential plugins (the other 2 security-based) I have used without issue on both Windows and Linux synced copies of Firefox. As advertised. I dig it, other people dig it; you will - 'bets-on' - dig it too. Be a cool cat and kick some tabby-tab-tabs out of your resource reserves. Firefox could focus there too btw ;) Thank you Mr Neomy kind and generous gentleman he is ('bets-on' always is.)..
- كتبها Maciej543, منذ شهر واحدمقيّمة بِ ٢ من ٥It's all too buggy. It keeps suspending pinned tabs which are also added to the exception list, or it will randomly suspend tabs in less time than was set.
- كتبها taco, منذ شهر واحدمقيّمة بِ ٥ من ٥Loving the addon so far ! Been using it for months now and had zero bugs, it has simply just worked 100% of the time, which is amazing.
I have a feature request though which in my opinion would add to it's value immensely.
As the core goal of this is not necessarily reducing the number of loaded tabs, but rather reducing CPU (and by extension, battery/heat/power) usage, RAM and disk I/O. So what would be great, would be the possibility to unload tabs by their resource usage. This data is available in firefox profiler capabilities but it's rather cumbersome going checking the data by hand through the debugging tools.
The feature could be added as a new condition to be mixed with others, like after X open tabs unload tabs which use >X% CPU and/or >X MB RAM / unload the next highest resource usage tab / after X minutes close tabs using X% cpu or X MB RAM / only close tabs which use >X resources.
Adding a tooltip when hovering over a tab which displays their CPU/RAM usage would be neat too.
For my use case as I've moved the FF profile to ram disk and I have plenty of RAM, I don't really care about disk I/O or RAM usage, but badly coded CPU-heavy scripts on some sites makes browsing a slog (not to mention killing the battery when on a laptop), hence this plugin. But a static site which runs very little to no scripts does not really contribute to the resource usage, unlike some badly behaving sites.
And systems which are more starved of RAM, could start unloading tabs by highest RAM usage instead, when total RAM usage exceeds X MB as a condition, for example.
Anyway, just my two cents for now, and keep up the good work !
- كتبها Greg Mackinnon, منذ شهر واحدمقيّمة بِ ٥ من ٥I have a number of web applications that I need to use for work that have a tendency to use a lot of CPU and memory. When using Firefox as my default browser (which is my preference), my CPU was running hot almost all the time.
I had started using MS Edge, since it background sleeps idle tabs. However, I was not happy with this arrangement as Edge is "yet another Chromium browser", and is not overly respectful of my privacy.
Now with Auto Tab Discard, my idle tabs have been powered down and my CPU is cool and quiet. For me, this extension has saved Firefox. This functionality should be part of the core product!
- كتبها مستخدم فيرفكس 17289459, منذ ٣ أشهرمقيّمة بِ ٤ من ٥Excellent concept and plenty of flexible options. Currently, the timing of discards on Firefox is unpredictable, but the developer is active and this issue is the only thing preventing 5-starts. I have not tried any similar add-ons because the time involved in comparing each feature. I think it could benefit from a few UI enhancements, but that is just the techi side of me and no points off for that. Availability on multiple browsers is a big plus for me. Thanks for the hard work Mr. Neomy!