Yay! No more irritating *_files directories and *.URL files cluttering things up. Just a few minor bugs and some wishes. Rated 4 out of 5 stars
Saving web pages is very important functionality for me. For instance, I was the one who originally requested the feature to preserve text and other form inputs' state when doing a Save Page As... Web Page, complete (in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=293834).
I save a lot of web pages, and I've always used the "Web Page, complete" format in both Firefox and when occasionally running IE, for cross-platform compatibility. However, the PAGE_files directories introduce a lot of clutter and make it difficult to have directories that have complete web pages saved in them, as well as subdirectories, since your manually created subdirectories get lost in the proliferation of PAGE_files directories. Also adding to the clutter were the .URL files (or .webloc, on Mac) that I had drag and drop from the URL bar for each page saved, so I'd have a record of where the page came from.
Therefore, I was very happy to learn of the Mozilla Archive Format extension, which solves all of the above problems. Pages are saved as single .maff files, with the URL encoded inside them, so the PAGE_files directories and PAGE.URL files clutter can go away, and subdirectories can be found again. And if this add-on ever gets discontinued, I can simply unZIP all the .maff files (well, along with renames of the numeric top-level directory in the ZIPs) to get access to my saved web pages again.
I just have a few issues and wishes for this add-on:
1. In Firefox 47.0, at least, the new URL bar button that's supposed to allow you get the original URL an opened .maff file was saved from does not work. Clicking it simply does nothing. Therefore I am forced to leave on the new Information Bar, and I would prefer not to have to use that vertical real estate. (I do use Classic Theme Restorer, so if this feature works for others, it may be an incompatibility.)
2. It would be nice if this add-on added a submenu (perhaps optionally) to the Tools menu, as some other add-ons do. I have a lot of saved web pages, so I'm regularly coming across directories where I need to run the nicely designed Convert command so the saved files old and new will be .maffs, and it's a pain to have always pull up Tools... Add-ons, then go to Extensions, and then the Options button for Mozilla Archive Format.
3. Speaking of converting old "Web Page, complete" files to MAFF, it would be awesome if the add-on would look for a .URL (or .webloc) file with the same name as the .htm file and if found, use it for the embedded original URL of the page, rather than putting in an unhelpful "file://" URL. Then I would be able to delete all my old *.URL and *.webloc files along with the .htm and *_files directories. Ideally this option should have a (selectable) "loose matching" mode, since Firefox and Windows Explorer have slightly different rules for munging characters in page titles that aren't legal in filenames.
4. It would be great if the "Faithful Save" also included preservation of the original Last-Modified timestamps of the web page and its constituents as reported by the web server. I was one of the people fighting to get Mozilla to do this preservation itself (e.g. see https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=178506), but of course they made it a WONTFIX, as they are, uh, "wont" to do. I used to be a very happy user of the "Preserve Download Modification Timestamp" add-on, but it has been broken since 2013, and there is so comparable add-on that I can find. Therefore, it'd be nice if Faithful Save could be updated to preserve Last Modified timestamps.
5. As another user reported, closing a tab/window while it's being saved causes the .maff save to silently fail. Traditionally with Firefox, when doing the standard "Web Page, complete" save, it (surprisingly) didn't cause a problem if you closed the page while it was saving, so a lot of people have gotten used to being able to do that. Mozilla Archive Format should either keep the page alive in cache until the save is complete, or failing that, give you a warning if you start to close the tab/window, or failing that, at least give you a pop-up error when the save fails, rather than failing silently.
6. It's not possible to right-click the page's original URL in the information bar to open that in a new tab/window.
Other than that, thanks so much for this great add-on, and keep up the good work!
Nightly Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Could you add Electrolysis compatibility to your really awesome Firefox addon ? Electrolysis seems to go into the next major FF release and thus a huge bunch of addons must use a new API in order to continue to work.
links in saved files dont work! Rated 1 out of 5 stars
I had major problems with this add-on. layout was not as per original page. links returned ///file or something like that. Am I doing something wrong?
在FF47中已经失效，望作者早日更新。。。。。 Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Doesn't show complete menu Rated 1 out of 5 stars
After installing, no new options appear in context menu, nor do they appear in the tools menu. And options shows only Main and Actions, Interface is missing. FF47This user has a previous review of this add-on.
MAF 4.0 and the Beta can not save images with Firefox47.0 BUT WORK on Waterfox 47.0 Rated 5 out of 5 stars
MAf 4.0 work on Waterfox 47.0
Could be more foolproof Rated 4 out of 5 stars
Works great, only problem I have is that it silently fails to create an archive if you close the tab while it is downloading.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Essential addon. Thank you for your work.
Bilder werden wieder gespeichert Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Version 4.0.1rc vom 11 Juni funktioniert wieder perfekt!!Dié resensie is oor 'n vorige weergawe van dié byvoeging (4.0.0).
Mozilla Archive Format 4.0 and the Beta Version can not save images with Firefox47.0 Rated 5 out of 5 stars
As the title indicates.
Thanks for your excellent work!
No images are saved Rated 2 out of 5 stars
I have long been using your extension. But after Firefox updates, pictures are no longer saved. Please correct the problem.Dié resensie is oor 'n vorige weergawe van dié byvoeging (4.0.0).
Breakes "save image as" functionality Rated 1 out of 5 stars
After updating to the latest FF, this extension makes using Save Image As impossible: the dialog box opens but on pressing Save nothing happens. Had to disable it.Dié resensie is oor 'n vorige weergawe van dié byvoeging (4.0.0).
Now I can't save images! Rated 3 out of 5 stars
I've had this plug-in for many years. It really should be part of Firefox.
But there is a new problem that has appeared in the last couple weeks -- I can't right-click and save an image. The rgt-clk menu goes away, but no image is downloaded. If I disable MAF, downloading an image works fine.
nightmare Rated 1 out of 5 stars
It installed fine, copied SOME webpages intact, others when you try to open either type file it saves in, starts it launching multiple windows like a virus laden website, faster than you can close them.Dié resensie is oor 'n vorige weergawe van dié byvoeging (4.0.0).
MAFF and image downloads. Rated 2 out of 5 stars
I like this but when I have it installed I can't right-click on an image and download it.Dié resensie is oor 'n vorige weergawe van dié byvoeging (4.0.0).
Right click save image broken again. Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Right click save image broken again.Dié resensie is oor 'n vorige weergawe van dié byvoeging (4.0.0). This user has a previous review of this add-on.
Thanks for this Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Very useful functionality. MAFF is a better way to backup pages in place of MHT which I used before.Dié resensie is oor 'n vorige weergawe van dié byvoeging (4.0.0).
Not available on android Rated 1 out of 5 stars
There's an add-on like this out there and it's downloadable for Firefox android but it's sluggish so I'm hoping that if this add-on makes it to the android Firefox, it'll perform better.Dié resensie is oor 'n vorige weergawe van dié byvoeging (4.0.0).
Fits seamlessly into the Firfox save dialogue Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Unlike some other mhtml projects this one fits seamlessly into the save dialogue. It can save in many formats which is a plus (though I stick to mhtml for the sake of chrome compatibility). It even marks the original address and date of saving withing the saved file which another feature that other mht addons did not do. Even chrome doesn't do that.Dié resensie is oor 'n vorige weergawe van dié byvoeging (4.0.0).
Awesome plugin Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Very useful plugin, I use the format very often. The issue of saving images still persists, I hope that can be fixed.Dié resensie is oor 'n vorige weergawe van dié byvoeging (4.0.0).