Reviews for automaticDark - Time-Based Theme Changer
automaticDark - Time-Based Theme Changer by simonkhzhang
Review by Nik
- Rated 5 out of 5by all_that_bs, 6 dae geledeI love this addon so much. My one complaint is that sometimes it does not load when I open my laptop, and I have to restart the extension, but other than that this is a 10/10.
- Rated 3 out of 5by Kiernan, 'n maand geledeWhen selecting "Change themes based on the system theme", the extension doesn't change the theme automatically.
I have to manually select another option, and select back again "based on the system theme" for the theme to take effect.
- Rated 5 out of 5by vinnski, 2 maande geledesimple and works exactly as described. it baffles my mind how this function isn't already built-in
- Rated 4 out of 5by Firefox user 17230921, 3 maande geledeReally nice Add-on. Took me a few minutes to find the settings.
- Rated 4 out of 5by user, 3 maande geledeAutomatically set sunrise/sunset times should be a default in my opinion...
Manual changes are difficult for people who travel a lot or move around the country.
- Rated 5 out of 5by cgphil, 7 maande geledeEDIT: With the release of 1.4.1, I can now wholeheartedly recommend this extension!
Original review below:
This extension fixes the biggest issue with the current Firefox theme settings. When "Automatic" is selected, Firefox doesn't seem to provide an option to select which theme to use for the light and dark modes, instead using the default themes for "Automatic." Thankfully, this extension lets you change that by selecting a "Daytime" and "Nighttime" theme. Combine this with Dark Reader and Firefox becomes very satisfying to use.
So why the two stars?
According to the description, the "Change themes based on the system theme" setting has been broken since Firefox 100. Understandable, I will just wait for a fix. However, we are currently on version 106. Version 100 was released at the beginning of May. Additionally, the Github page for this project shows very little activity for this issue, with the most recent comment having been posted 10 days ago, but the comment prior to that having been posted on July 17. The setting also seems to routinely break, as there are other issues opened for the same problem going back to 2020.
I frequently change the system theme manually when the weather is overcast (or just straight up bad), so I would like for this setting to work. However, to leave the setting in while it is knowingly broken is not a great decision, and I cannot recommend this extension to others while broken settings remain.
Developer responseposted 3 maande geledeThanks for the review and feedback. That was a difficult problem to solve but should now be fixed in version 1.4.1.