Toggles dictionaries automatically or manually and displays the currently selected one. In FireFox 3.6 and similarly old versions of Mozilla products, dictionary switcher was added to their status bars. In modern versions of Mozilla applications, it must be dragged from the toolbar customization palette and dropped on the preferred area of the user interface (see screenshots).
Please contact the developer at mrwarper <whirly thing> yahoo dot es for bug reports and feature requests -- don't use the reviews for that!
1. If the switcher lists many pre-installed dictionaries you don't want in the menu
At least 3 workarounds have been used by different users:
1) Delete unused dictionaries from /usr/share/myspell/dicts (*.dic and *.aff files), and leave only the languages you use (*.dic and *.aff). [Backup before you delete anything.]
2) Remove symlinks from /usr/share/myspell
3) 1. Delete the dictionaries symbolic links in /usr/lib/thunderbird/ (from a command prompt, issue 'sudo rm /usr/lib/thunderbird/dictionaries')
2. Add a dpkg-divert rule to prevent link from being restored after each TB update ('sudo dpkg-divert --add /usr/lib/thunderbird/dictionaries').
3. Manually install the dictionaries you do want (Tools > Options or Edit > Preferences > Composition > Download more dictionaries).
The following localizations have been temporarily removed complying with Mozilla's policies because they are outdated:
ca-AD, da, hr, it, ko-KR, pt-BR, ru, sk, sv-SE, tr-TR, uk-UA, zh-CN, zh-TW. Old localizations and directions are available upon request to ease translation volunteering.