Fetch video source of flash based media and play the video directly with Firefox, without the use of the flash plug-in. Works with Firefox for Desktop and Android Supported sites/embed video player
Due to some minor variations of providing the video by a same media provider (different version of there player, use of the embed tag) a few videos may not be detected. A note to Blip users
If instead of the video, the player display the message "This video is only available in the blip player" you must change your user agent to firefox for android or any string that blip will not block. Usage
* Install the extension in your Firefox Desktop or Android
* Browse to one of the supported website containing a video. By default the video are detected when a page load, you can disable this behavior in the preference pane.
*You can also force the video detection if the automatic detection did not worked:
**Firefox Desktop: by pressing ALT-W".
**Firefox Android: push Menu/Detect Video. Why you may want to use this extension
Download the video
- You experienced some lag or bad CPU performance using flash
- You only use flash to watch videos, and do not want to install a non-free packages on your linux station (this extension is released under the GPL)
* The video can be save with a "right click / save as" on the "open in a new tab" link.
* Under android, the video needs to be selected first, then with a long push on the video you can download the video. Troubleshooting
*If no video is detected:
** Make sure the provider of the video you are trying to detect is supported. (see Supported sites/embed video player or the list of modules in the extension preference pane).
** Make sure the module is activated in the extension preference pane.
*If the video is detected but cannot be displayed:
** Make sure you have the right video codec installed
** Open the video in a new tab as it may sometimes be hidden under other element when the video is embed in a given web site.
** Try to download the video (see Download section)
** If the video provider is blip, try to change your user agent (see A note to blip users)
You can also report bugs on this extension github page ! https://github.com/odrevet/video-without-flash-restartless
Be sure to indicate the URL of the page with the video and the video provider when reporting a bug. Pro tips
* To play mp4 under linux you must install the package gst-libav (under arch linux) or gstreamer1.0-libav (under ubuntu)
*To read FLV and other nativly unsupported fomat you can use a media plugin like vlc-web-plugin or gecko-mediaplayer.
Under Windows the vlc web plugin can be install when (re)running the vlc install exe.
* When you have the message "No video with supported format and MIME type found" you can Right click on the player (long push for Firefox for Android) and click "View Video" to watch the video with a media plugin or "Save Video As" to download the video.
* Numerous options in the preference pane : select preferred format / quality when available, disable modules.
* If a video is not detected when the page load, try to manually detect the video again with the Alt-w shortcut How does it works
This extension is glue between Firefox and the video links, not an actual video engine. This extension fetch the direct link to videos using regular expression, XPath, and DOM. When available, a picture and a select control are displayed (the "video selector") to read the video with firefox, using the firefox internal HTML5 compliant media player or a plugin like vlc or mplayer if installed.
By using the HTML5 parser, you can read the video in a media player plugin if installed. (if it does not work with firefox or you simply prefer this option). Embed player tests
List of sites that I like, but are using embed flash player.
I use/test Video WithOut Flash on these: