To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
Vocabulary Highlighter 0.73.1-signed
by Son Nguyen
Highlights all words that were added into a list while browsing. Use this add-on to study languages or be informed of the information you are interested in.
About this Add-on
- Select a single word or a group of words on a web page.
- Right click, choose Vocabulary Highlighter > Add. A dialog will appear. Add a note if necessary, and choose OK.
- The add-on will find the selected text on any opened web pages and highlight them. Newly opened web pages will also be affected.
- If you hover your mouse over highlighted text, a tooltip will display for its note.
How to edit (or remove) highlighted text:
- Right click on the highlighted text, and choose Vocabulary Highlighter > Edit (or Remove).
How to view the added word list:
- Without selecting any text, right click on a web page, and choose Vocabulary Highlighter.
How to edit a database file:
- After exporting the database as an XML file, open it with Microsoft Excel 2003 or later.
- Add, edit, or remove rows and then save the spreadsheet as XML Data (not XML Spreadsheet 2003).
- Import the new file by using Import feature.
- If you are studying English, enable 'Find derivatives of English endings' and 'Matches must have left word boundaries' options in the Pens panel.
- The highlighter will ignore words that were marked 'Do not highlight'. Use this feature when you want to review later without removing them.
- For fast enabling and disabling, drag the Highlighter button from the Toolbar customization panel.
Q: Will it work on AJAX sites?
A: Yes. New added content into web pages will be examined.
Q: Why are some elements not highlighted?
A: Some types of elements including input, textarea and editable documents will not be highlighted because they will probably annoy you. For example, if you reply to an email, you would not want the recipient to see highlighted text.
Q: When I right-click on highlighted text, Edit and Remove options are not displayed.
A: That highlighted text might not be generated by the add-on. It could have been generated by the website itself or by other browser add-ons. Another reason is that the default context menu was replaced by another of the website or by other browser add-ons.
Marjolein Hoekstra: A trusty friend who has found bugs in the extension and proposed valuable suggestions.
Ruud Baars: A Dutch language specialist who owns a bug collection and also has given worthy feedback.
- Added a timer to mitigate bulk adding operations.
- Error occurs when automatically turning on a word if the current row index is null in the entry list.
- Tabs moved between windows cannot be tracked.