This is brilliant Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Thank you. This has a perfect selection of options visible on the main taskbar, is pleasing to the eye, simple to operate and, what I specially appreciate, survives bookmarking.
Like @Corveau, I am also using Firefox 47 and Windows 10 but I don't seem to have the problems he describes.
Dang, I wanted it to work! Rated 1 out of 5 stars
As much as this looks awesome and I really wanna support trans*h4ck, this doesn't seem to work anymore (I am using firefox 47, Windows 10.) I hope that if the developer has it in them, it will work again some day as it seems to be beloved by many when it was working.
For me, I can't find it anywhere aside from in my extensions list. It doesn't have any options I can choose from (to pick a color which some commenters say fixes it) nor does it show up when I right-click.
I had to give it a rating for firefox to let me post. No shade intended.
Just what I needed Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I needed a tool to mark some lines on a webpage, and this add-on does it right. YOU MUST SELECT A COLOR first or it doesn't seem to work. I chose purple, so wound up with purple lines all over ... just what I needed.
Still first in it's class ... but could be even better! Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Prostetnic highlighter is a colourful sparkling little gem which in my view is first in its class --but could be made even better.
I have used this addon every day since it first appeared --many, many times per day actually. It is one of the few: 'I cannot do effective work without it' addons for anyone who wants to be able to see what was memorable and important on 1 or a thousand webpages even years later. And it is PRIVATE too!
Here is what i respectfully suggest to the author to make his/her creation even more valuable than it is presently:
Allow instant colour changes of newly highlighted text, eg, by making the current rectangular 'apply highlight box' into a box of 3 or 4 click-able areas. Say, par exemple, one area each for yellow, one for hot pink and one for green.
Consider the advanced utility and speed of this scheme: It offers the immediate rapid application of different highlight colours to sequential phrases , words or sentences each of which which commands a different colour emphasis
This suggested change would save a huge number of wasted clicks of going .back and forth to the present colour selection box and then back again to the newly changed colour application box and vice versa ad nauseum.
I hope that the author finds these suggestion both desirable and convenient to execute.
In any event, I once again give praise to the author of Prostetnic highlighter and another 5 stars for an excellent creation.
Very nice highlighter + working with UNmht !!! Rated 5 out of 5 stars
As said in the title ... nice and working with UNmht !
You can even add more highlights on *.mht pages (using the buttons added on the main top bar)
Great and happy !
Works good except... Rated 4 out of 5 stars
Like the way it works. Could use some menu adjustments and a select and remove option other than remove all or last. Also saw a point where it wont hold the highlight. ie: Part1:Part2 if you highlight Part2, then come back to highlight Part1 this second highlight wont say on a page refresh but the 1st highlight remains.This review is for a previous version of the add-on (22.214.171.124-signed.1-signed).
Easy to use and reliable Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for this great add-on. I use it a couple of times a week and I had 0 bugs so far. One quick suggestion, put all the contextual menu items under one menu item, it will make the contextual menu cleaner.This review is for a previous version of the add-on (126.96.36.199-signed.1-signed).
Did not work for me Rated 1 out of 5 stars
I could set colors but after selecting text I could not get the highlight to appear with either the button or context menu. Windows 10 and FF 40This review is for a previous version of the add-on (188.8.131.52-signed.1-signed).
I've located a bug which is probably the one you're experiencing. Can't say how long it will take to fix. Will report on this comment stream when done.
DOA Rated 1 out of 5 stars
Did not work for me. None of my text changed in any way whatsoever. I'm using Firefox 35 on a Mac Mini under OS 10.8.5. Wired-Marker works flawlessly for me.This review is for a previous version of the add-on (184.108.40.206-signed.1-signed).
Rated 1 out of 5 stars
I stated I would not be returning to comment on this app. That’s true. I’ve come to comment on another similar app that “works”. I believe I gave Prostetnic Highlighter a reasonable time to overcome difficulties I was having. Please see my previous posts.
What I’ve returned for is to recommend a highlighter that has been working well for me and to suggest that you give it a try. Wired-Marker is providing reliable highlighting on the webpages I visit that I am finding very useful. I hope these comments are useful to those of you that have also had problems with Prostetnic Highlighter. After you’ve tried it please leave a comment on the Wired-Marker developer’s website citing your experience. I hope it is more positive for you than you’ve experienced here.
These types of tools are very useful to marginalize commentary that is less than honest on the Internet. The more highlighters, and the better they are, the more likely it will be that people will find content useful to them. If you find an even better highlighter than Wired-Marker, please let everyone know about it.
Rated 4 out of 5 stars
РаботаетThis review is for a previous version of the add-on (220.127.116.11-signed.1-signed).
It is hard to change the highlighter color Rated 4 out of 5 stars
I have just found this addon and using it for just mere 5 minutes however, I believe I am going to use it for the rest of my PhD. So I think it is to-the-point and does what it advertises.
One thing I have immediately noticed though, it is hard to change color especially if you want to highlight text depending on their context (e.g., good-green, bad-red, etc.) you need to constantly open a menu, select the color, press the confirmation button. This could have been done with a sub-menu in the right-click-dropdown-context-menu (I am not sure if there is a technical limitation or not?). However if it is doable then the highlighting can be done in just one click instead of three clicks and lots of cursor moves. Also, it would have been nice if there is a option in the search screen to include url addresses in the search or not.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I REALLY love this add-on. Fantastic job!
I thought of a very useful functionality that it lacks. I wish I could export all my highlighted text (and subsequent URLS) into a notepad. That option would be SO COOL.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Works great with FF 33 default theme, but the toolbar buttons appeared WAY too big with my theme: 'Firefox 2, the theme, reloaded 1.0.8' .. They fill up the whole page and make FF unusable, WTF?.. As such, I needed to remove the buttons from the toolbar. I had to switch to default theme to access and remove those toolbar buttons.. I don't need the toolbar buttons so all is good with this workaround.
I still give this add-on 5 stars as I assume my issue has more to do with how 'Firefox 2, the theme, reloaded 1.0.8' handles these toolbar images, and there is not a simple fix for that with this type of theme (as I understand from that developer). Yet, I suspect that 'Prostetnic highlighter' could fix this issue by just using smaller toolbar images, you know, like 'icons'. But alas, I don't know how this stuff works and hope you geeks can sort it all out.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Thanks for this! It's the best, because it automatically remembers highlighted texts without additional click. Other add-ons require you to save the highlighted text passages, which is very annoying.
Only small problem is it puts 4 buttons on your toolbar. But I'm sure developer will improve this. I use the status bar and dragged them there, where they are smaller and don't bother me.
Rated 3 out of 5 stars
1) Okay, it needs to allow a standing and adjustable memorized selection of up to 10 selected/user-chosen color-options for consistency. This includes text and background (potentially box lines like in Scrapbook).
2) I need to be able to see and work with the corresponding numbers in rgb, Hex, and hsl, etc., rather than blindly clicking about.
3) Honestly, all the buttons should be merged into one drop-down list of options, and the cursor should be able to change into a "Highlighter" or "Eraser" that I can wield freely. "Undo" last highlight can still be an option, and so can "Remove All" highlighting from page.
Sadly, Mozilla did away with all alternative toolbars, and I'm cramming everything on the Bookmarks bar. :(
They should have an add-on Tools menu that can be opened and organized for active use (but still allow toolbars and other organization methods).
Now, I am not saying you have to be just like Scrapbook, though you could be better, but you are doing something similar, and I am only leaving them because Mozilla's updates made them inoperable.
4) There should be a settings area where I can choose if I want the option to remember the highlights (by what means you currently employ), or if I want to save the whole page and all changes to a root folder or sub-folders *on my computer* for easy retrieval, as is done with "Scrapbook."
Don't work. Impossible to repeat uniform highlights. Rated 2 out of 5 stars
(I'm sorry for the long message — I use auto-translator).
This was my favorite addon. It was… Including version 0.1.4.
On one side, in version 2x I like that I can now be more flexible during choosing color. But on the other side…
− What's worse now.
An updated version of this extension might be good only if:
1. If this version had SEVERAL buttons with DIFFERENT color settings. (However, in this features I needed and before).
2. If this version of the extension would had a history of SEVERAL DIFFERENT color settings. Simply, if history is not recorded — all markers of the same color in Article will be heterogeneous, and it is ugly. (Now this possibility becomes vital).
3. In my browser, the updated version of the extension does not work. Triggered ancient color adjustment — one that survived from the old version (highlights red - I used it to highlight the unwanted moments). The configuration of the new version does not recorded. However, I did not use the original FF — I use a build to Windows-64bit (Waterfox 28.0).
+ What's better now.
1. What good — is the fact that now you get to decide what color to choose for characters of text. It's very good. In the past you had a chance to select a background color, but the color of characters into highlighted text necessarily was changed to black or white. Thus, a hyperlinks was changes its color to the color of the text in highlight, merging with it. Now hyperlinks can remain visible, as they should be.
2. Indeed, the flexible adjustment of color — it's good. But in this case must be configured a history to SEVERAL markers (5-6 pieces). I use a system of permanent markers with 4-5 colors, the location of which in the past I used to just memorize. But, alas, now memorizing impossible.
Solution: temporarily use the old version of the extension — 0.1.4.
It is a pity that Mozilla so aggressively enforces their new interface. Probably due to this everyone suffers - both users and developers.
Clearly a palette is needed
I too have been frustrated by the lack of one. It will be a fair amount of code & debugging and I'm not sure how long it will take, but do watch this space.
Just pushed a beta version with 8 presets:
Great tool... But update woes Rated 4 out of 5 stars
I love this - been using it for ages. But the 2.01 update didn't work on my (Win7) FF28 installation. The context menu items disappeared, and so did the status(-4-evar) bar icons , so I've gone back to 0.1.4. Thought you'd like to know :)This review is for a previous version of the add-on (18.104.22.168-signed.1-signed).
I knew this would happen
Mozilla is fairly aggressive about steering end users to the very latest version, and is fairly aggressive about steering add-ons devs such as myself away from "deprecated" features. In your case this would include the icons (these are ActionButtons, and used to be a now-deprecated feature called Widgets). I'm not sure why the menu items have also disappeared, but I suspect an exception thrown by a failed attempt to create ActionButtons on FF28 has caused a halt to further execution. I should be able to make a version that works (minus buttons) on FF28 using throw...catch mechanisms. Looking into that ASAP.
EDIT - added pre-Aurora compatibility. Tested on FF28. The text color doesn't display on the "highlight current selection" widget, but other than that, operation seems normal. Should be approved in a week or so, or sneak on over to https://github.com/n8chz/prostetnic to test drive the xpi file.
Rated 5 out of 5 stars
Great addon! Few suggestions though that i think will be useful:
1. Right click over highlight > Remove this highlight
2. Keyboard shortcut to jump to highlights on the page.
3. Button on the status bar that shows the number of highlights the page has.
1. I've been trying to figure this one out for a while
2. A capital idea; moving this one to the top of to-do list
3. Interesting idea, not sure how to count single highlights on non-contiguous selections (made holding the ctrl key down while selecting, say, with a mouse).
Question Rated 5 out of 5 stars
I know I can delete all highlights on the page and I can also delete the most recent highlight...
Is there a way I can delete specific highlights only?
thanks... so far no problems...