Be careful with old versions!
These versions are displayed for reference and testing purposes. You should always use the latest version of an add-on.
- [ENHANCEMENT] added support for custom background color! You can use any color as background color for the new tab page
- [ENHANCEMENT] allow to set the focus on the web page instead of the address bar also on about:home
- [ENHANCEMENT] updated some textes to make it even more clear that the file:// protocol is no longer supported due to Firefox restrictions. Suggest new local file option or the use of a local web server as alternatives
- [TRANSLATION] updated translations (Thanks, Tonnes and milupo!)
- [CODE QUALITY] refactored the visibility handling of advanced options
- [DEPENDENCY] updated ESLint from version 4.4.1 to 4.5.0
- [ENHANCEMENT] automatically prepend "http://" if the there is no protocol
- [TRANSLATION] updated Upper Sorbian and Lower Sorbian translations (Thanks, milupo!)
- [TRANSLATION] fixed typo in German translation
- [DEPENDENCY] updated gulp-stylelint from version 3.9.0 to 4.0.0
- [DEPENDENCY] updated jsdoc from version 3.5.3 to 3.5.4
New Tab Override was developed from the ground up as so-called WebExtension. This makes New Tab Override compatible with Firefox 57 and later. Not all options of the previous version are currently available as WebExtension. As soon as Mozilla implements support for missing functionalities in Firefox, they will be integrated in a future update of New Tab Override.
Notice for users of previous versions: you have to re-configure the add-on. After the update the settings page will automatically be opened.
- [DESIGN] some design improvements, including a new logo
- [ENHANCEMENT] new logo is a SVG file instead of a number of different PNG files
- [ENHANCEMENT] use of new permission system and only request needed permissions
- [ENHANCEMENT] use of optional permission for feed option. You can revoke the permission at any time
- [ENHANCEMENT] use of fetch instead of XMLHttpRequest for feed option
- [ENHANCEMENT] there is now a live validation for custom URLs so that you have a direct feedback during the input
- [ENHANCEMENT] you can open the settings via keyboard shortcut Shift + F12
- [ENHANCEMENT] you can open the settings via entering "newtab settings" in the address bar
- [ENHANCEMENT] there is an upgrade notice for users of the legecy version of New Tab Override. This notice is not visible on fresh installs
- [CODE QUALITY] improved code quality and more code documentation, use of ESlint, stylelint, htmllint and JSDoc
Thanks to Ura Design for the new logo!
- At the moment You can't clear the address bar for new tabs. It will be possible in future versions of Firefox again.
- At the moment You can't use the home page as new tab page. Please enter manually the URL in the settings of New Tab Override. It will be possible in future versions of Firefox again.
- You can no longer use about:sync-tabs as new tab page as Mozilla removed this page in Firefox 55. It's not yet decided if showing synced tabs as new tab page will be possible again in the future.
- You can no longer use local files via file:// protocol as new tab page for security reasons. Please upload your local file to a web server to use it again.
- The option to use the last URL from clipboard was not re-implemented in New Tab Override 7.0.
* New translation: Upper Sorbian (Thanks, Michael Wolf!)
* New translation: Lower Sorbian (Thanks, Michael Wolf!)
* Updated translation: Dutch (Thanks, Tonnes!)
* Settings: show url field only if custom url option is selected
* Settings: Added introduction text
* Settings: small design improvements
* Settings / Feed: open external links in new tabs
* Settings / Feed: added rel=noopener attribute to external links
* Settings / Feed: repaired donation button
* updated NL translation (thanks, Tonnes!)
* compiled with JPM 1.2.2 (before: 1.2.0)
* internal code optimizations
* compiled with JPM 1.2.0 (before: 1.1.4)
* settings button in add-ons manager opens about:newtaboverride now, no longer two different settings interfaces
* when clicking the settings button in the toolbar focus the window with the settings if the settings are already open in another window
* internal code optimizations
* compiled with JPM 1.1.4 (before: 1.0.7)
* updated translation (NL)
* set flag for multi process compatibility (e10s)
* added about:checkerboard and about:searchreset to validator for clipboard option, removed about:customizing and about:remote-newtab
* add-on description in add-on manager is localized now (DE, EN, NL)
* compatibility workaround for Firefox 44 Beta (Bugzilla #1240559) removed, it's no longer needed
* compiled with JPM 1.0.7 (before: 1.0.4)
* minimum requirement is Firefox 45 now (no tests and no support for older versions of Firefox!)
* NewTabURL.jsm is no longer deprecated, usage of AboutNewTabService with Firefox 44 and higher removed again
* added about:sync-tabs as new predefined option
* added URL validation for custom URLs (not only for the clipboard option)
* extended URL validation to about: pages
- Better validation for URLs in the clipboard option.
- option to use homepage as new tab page
- option to use last url from clipboard as new tab page
- Firefox 44+: use of AboutNewTabService instead of NewTabURL.jsm
- repacked with JPM 1.0.2 for compatibility with Firefox 44+