Be careful with old versions!
These versions are displayed for reference and testing purposes. You should always use the latest version of an add-on.
The new name for KeeFox
Version 2.0 brings exciting new features and some enforced changes in order to support Firefox 57 and higher.
Please spend a few minutes going through the new interactive tutorial to learn how to use the new version.
The main new and removed features in Kee 2.0 are outlined at: https://forum.kee.pm/t/kee-2-0-features/28
Check out our new community support forum if you haven't already seen it: https://forum.kee.pm/
We've also got a shiny new website: https://www.kee.pm/
If you have not upgraded KeeFox recently, you will need to manually copy a file into your KeePass plugins folder. Instructions can be found at: https://www.kee.pm/upgrade
You can find much more information about Kee 2.0 in the following news article and the links included within it: https://www.kee.pm/news/detail/2017/09/19/introducing-kee-2.0
Enjoy! (please don't break it straight away :-D )
Network Authentication dialog window is white sometimes (Linux users only?). Tracked in https://github.com/kee-org/browser-addon/issues/71 and upstream Firefox bug: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1408446
* You should upgrade to this version before upgrading to KeeFox 2.0 to ensure a smooth upgrade to KeeFox 2.0 later
* See http://keefox.org/news/detail/2017/03/26/changes-to-keefox-in-2017 for more details
After upgrading KeeFox, you will need to manually install the new version of KeePassRPC.plgx using the simple instructions at http://keefox.org/upgrade - Microsoft Windows users would have previously been assisted in this task by KeeFox but the new release of Firefox bans the use of such assistance.
* You must upgrade to this version before upgrading to KeeFox 2.0 to ensure a smooth upgrade to KeeFox 2.0 later
* See http://keefox.org/news/detail/2017/03/26/changes-to-keefox-in-2017 for more details
New experimental form-filling feature - Trigger Change/Input Event after auto-fill
* Try enabling this (in Options / Filling Entries) if you find that some login forms complain that the form is not filled in by KeeFox when in fact it is
Better support for proxy dialog boxes and thunderbird authentication
* Support for HTTP Auth dialogs in Firefox 50+ (again)
- Minor domain name identification bug fix that will improve URL matching accuracy of a small number of websites
- Support for recent Thunderbird versions and recent Gmail (Google) OAuth changes
- Support for HTTP Auth dialogs in Firefox 50+
- Adds support for the rarely seen loading spinner in Firefox 48+
- Updated locales
- Display the "save password?" dialog less frequently
- A new (default enabled) KeePassRPC option automatically stores passwords that were auto-generated for KeeFox in a special "KeeFox Generated Password Backups" group
- More accurate form-filling of radio buttons in some situations
- Support for Firefox changes introduced in versions 44, 46 and 47
- Improved detection of and advice about invalid KeePass entry configurations
- Prevented some duplicate UUID possibilities
- Other general code and text improvements
New minimum system requirements:
- Firefox 32
- KeePass 2.19
- .NET Framework 4
Please see http://keefox.org/news/detail/2016/03/02/keefox-16 for more information about the new minimum system requirements, especially if you use Windows 7 or earlier.
Upgrades from KeeFox versions earlier than 1.3 will require manual intervention so it is recommended to upgrade to an intermediate version first.
- Updated KeeFox to work with Firefox 44
- Matched password notifications were too invisible for some users and too visible for others so this version reveals them for localisers to translate and also offers an option to disable them for those that see them too often
- Enables KeePass synchronisation option when saving to an externally modified KeePass database
- Protect against a possible "nsIHttpChannel" bug in non-standard versions of Firefox (e.g. CyberFox)
- HTTP Auth dropdown list of logins now displays the first URL listed within each matching KeePass entry
- Improved notification box style for FireFox 44 users
- Updated translations for lots of languages
- HTTP Auth matched logins are not ordered by relevance in the dropdown popup (#568)
- "System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: startIndex cannot be larger than length of string" error message (#544)
- "Input string was not in a correct format" error message (#567)
- Log level selection did not work in non-English locales
Supported Firefox versions: 29+
- Form filling improvements
- Improved "Save password" feature including ability to update an existing password
In a few cases you'll have to change your KeePass entries to get the improved automatic form filling to work perfectly.
To read more about the large number of changes in KeeFox 1.5, please see the article on the official website: http://keefox.org/news/detail/2015/08/24/keefox-15
If you want all the gory technical detail you can see the full changelog on github (but be warned, there are 25,000 lines of changed code!):
Supported Firefox versions: 29+
Unrelated to http://keefox.org/news/detail/2015/05/23/signed-update-will-be-released-soon
2. Performance improvement: Some parts of KeeFox will be faster provided you use a recent version of Firefox (37+) although many people will not notice a difference. More details are below.
Known issue: Users with multiple databases where those databases have unusual characters in their file name may experience some minor problems.
If you can type your database filename on a standard US, UK or European keyboard you are unlikely to be affected.
If you think you might be affected, just rename your database to one that contains plain ASCII characters or upgrade to KeeFox 1.5 once it's released.
More detail is here: https://github.com/luckyrat/KeeFox/issues/428
Some complex changes to Firefox over the recent versions leading up to Firefox 37 will cause some aspects of KeeFox version 1.4.6 and older to be much slower for users with large password databases and/or slow computers.
This new version speeds things up (now faster than ever before) but it will be slightly slower for users of Firefox 36 and below. I recommend upgrading anyway since it is unlikely you will notice the slow down but if your specific situation does result in worse performance, please just remember to upgrade KeeFox before you upgrade to Firefox 37.
Firefox 37 was released on the 7th of April 2015.
There are more technical details about the change here: https://github.com/luckyrat/KeeFox/issues/356
- Also updated a few locales
- Added support for Firefox 35+
- Fixed: When saving passwords, the "never for this site" button did not work reliably.
- There are a few issues with KeePass 2.28 for users with very high quality screens (high DPI/PPI). This release fixes the most annoying of those - the others are pretty minor niggles.
- Other minor bug fixes
- Prevent user configuring KeePassRPC to communicate on port 0 or 12536
- Simplified KeePass location configuration options
- Allow use of relative paths in fields like KeePass location
- FIXED: KeePass zip (portable) file extraction during setup failed
- Other minor bits of tidying up
- New option to control number of matched logins displayed on main panel.
- Default matched logins listed on main panel is now 5.
- FIXED: Some circumstances led to matched logins not being cleared from view correctly.
- FIXED: Widget status was sometimes not updated when Firefox first starts.
The new option has not been translated to non-English languages due to the urgent need to release the fixes for Firefox 30
In Firefox 29:
1) Buttons are a little too small, most notably when chopping off the back button.
2) After the KeeFox panel has expanded to contain new contents, it will not shrink again until closed.
(these are due to Firefox bugs fixed in FF30)
In Firefox 30+:
A scroll bar appears in the panel when you are not logged in to KeePass
(this is due to an unidentified Firefox bug which I've been unable to workaround despite many days of work)
In Firefox 31+:
Scroll bars that appear when the panel size grows too large for your screen will not entirely dissapear when the contents shrinks again (until you close and re-open the KeeFox panel).
- Fixes a bug where an empty subgroup can cause all logins to appear in main panel
- Greek translation added
- A few other translations updated
You can now access all KeeFox features from a single toolbar button.
There are some new features too, such as the ability to search for KeePass logins without leaving Firefox.
Most of these features are only possible in Firefox 29 and above but users of older versions of Firefox will benefit from a few minor changes and bug fixes.
Other notable features and bug fixes are listed below:
- New translations: Finnish, Russian and Spanish.
- New keyboard shortcuts for generating a password, changing database and forcing detection of forms on the current page.
- A workaround for systems with badly configured HTTP proxies allows KeeFox to connect to KeePass in more situations (albeit with a 73 second delay)
- KeePassRPC options panel no longer allows selection of legacy protocol port for web socket use
- KeePassRPC will bind only to loopback by default, advanced users can bind to all interfaces by setting the KeePass XML config option "KeePassRPC.webSocket.bindOnlyToLoopback" to false
- KeePassRPC options dialog no longer leaves KeePass in a "dialog open" state (which caused issues such as a disabled tray icon menu)
- Fixes bug where Options / Finding Entries combo boxes render incorrectly when changed
- Added KeePassRPC logging to record failed cryptographic operations (e.g. in Mono)
- New option to enable display of usernames in the list of logins and search results
- Fixed style compatibility bug that affects other add-ons and Firefox bookmarks widget in FF29+
- Options have to be shared with all Firefox versions so:
- Some of the new options will not work until you upgrade to Firefox 29+
- The options to control the flashing effect on the old toolbar have been removed since they have no effect in Firefox 29+. They can still be set through advanced options so get in touch if you can't upgrade to Firefox 29 and need help with this.
- Keyboard shortcuts don't always work correctly if you put the KeeFox button inside the Firefox main menu.
- Sometimes Firefox doesn't correctly calculate the size of the KeeFox panel, leading to excess margins or unnecessary scroll bars.
Changes in KeeFox 1.3:
- A more secure (and easier to debug) connection to KeePass
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Context (mouse right-click) menus
- Anonymous statistics collection to help us make improvements in the future
- Various bug fixes
All the technical details can be found on github as usual: https://github.com/luckyrat/KeeFox/compare/v1.2.7...v1.3.1
v1.3.1 contains minor bug fixes and non-functional code changes since v1.3.0.
Windows XP users who are still running the old version 2.0 of the .NET framework will need to install a newer version of the .NET framework from Microsoft's website or downgrade KeeFox to 1.2.3 (or, if available, upgrade to KeeFox 1.3). You will also have to manually delete the KeePassRPC.plgx plugin from your KeePass plugins folder.
This is mainly a bug fix release but also contains some new translations and a couple of other improvements.
- Fixed a couple of bugs that caused some passwords to not save to KeePass
- Danish, French and Russian languages created / updated
- A fix for Thunderbird 25
- Fix for intermittent failed KeePass shutdown on Mono (Mac/Linux)
- Improved usability when KeePass loads a database from a remote network
- Some other small changes
- Forms no longer need a password field
- More multi-page logins work correctly
- New types of form field dealt with correctly (HTML5)
- The old "monitor each web page for new forms" feature has been upgraded to allow monitoring on only specific websites (if you used the old feature, you shouldn't notice any difference but I strongly recommend disabling this on all sites except for the occasional specific ones on which it is needed)
Per-site configuration allows:
- You to quickly get many previously problematic websites working correctly
- KeeFox developers to make most popular websites work for all users in a future KeeFox version
New localisation module reduces work for translators (hopefully leading to new translators joining the team) and allows the "useful tips" and similar messages to be translated for the first time.
A new configuration storage system within each KeePass entry is required to enable some of the features above so once you upgrade your KeePass database you won't be able to go back unless you revert to an earlier backup. The upgrade process has been tested (and applied to many databases with hundreds of entries) but please pay attention to the warning about making a backup.
Login popups (e.g. HTTP Authentication and Thunderbird mail accounts) allow you to open your password database without cancelling the login popup
Thunderbird login matching improved
The detailed (and fairly technical) set of changes can be viewed on github as usual: https://github.com/luckyrat/KeeFox/
Existing users will be unaffected by the change.
- Multiple database support. Seamlessly work with more than one KeePass database thanks to these improvements:
- Logins from all open (unlocked) databases are matched (and automatically filled / submitted depending on your configuration)
- Logins from all open databases are listed on the Logins toolbar button
- A new login can be saved into any open database
- Changing databases from within KeeFox is now reliable and predictable
- Improved form matching accuracy: when KeeFox knows how many form fields to expect for an entry it will now use that information to help select the correct form on a page
- Instant edit feature added: Review and edit every entry that KeeFox saves (disabled by default).
- Memory leak fixed: This will be a big improvement for heavy Firefox users who do not shutdown Firefox for days or weeks at a time
- Added option to require more accurate URL matching for specific entries (previously possible through a hidden KeePass "advanced string")
- Thunderbird support (in beta testing)
- Improvements to setup instructions, especially for non-admin users and Mono (Mac & Linux) users
- First-run improvements (e.g. automatic save of your first KeePass database and a link to information about importing existing passwords)
- Various other bug fixes and improvements
- Removed support for Firefox versions earlier than 4.0
- New KeePass installs now use version 2.20
Known limitation: Newsgroup authentication prompts in Thunderbird do not work with KeeFox.
Apple Mac support: The immaturity of the Mono platform that Mac users require to make KeePass work is keeping KeeFox Mac support in beta testing for the time being. You can install the development version if you'd like to give it a try (it seems to mostly work if you have some patience and know what you're doing)
Version 1.1.2 has a number of technical modifications from the previous 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 beta releases but most should be entirely invisible to users.
Detailed changes since 1.1.0:
Setup for Firefox 64bit builds (e.g. Waterfox) should now work in more cases;
Changed type of link on install_mono.xul setup page;
Various changes to avoid global namespace pollution;
FIXED: Logging from preference and quit observers;
FIXED: Quit observer was not running shutdown procedure (probably had no noticeable effect in the real world);
Made text selectable on mono setup page;
More details of the changes are below:
- Sensitive logging warning feature added
- Sensitive logging option removed from main options panel
- Logs written when sensitive logging is enabled will now be prefixed with !!
- FAMS debug logging disabled
- Fixed variables that were unintentionally leaking into global scope
- No longer tell users when KPRPC loses its connection to KeeFox (it should automatically recover anyway)
- The three executables used to aid initial setup are now digitally signed
- Logo on setup screen is subtly improved
NB: The only difference between 0.9.6b and 1.0 is a subtle change to the KeeFox logo on the setup screen.
- HTTP Auth login boxes now correctly state when no matching passwords were found
- New domain matching rules prevent IP addresses from matching incorrectly
- Improvements to message/tip display (easier to prevent the same message appearing again once you've seen it)
- Miscellaneous changes to meet recent Firefox add-on best practice guidelines
- Dutch translation added
Also note that (thanks to krbvroc1) you can now run KeeFox on Linux and Mac systems but we've not had enough beta testing feedback to enable support outside of the development channel.
Please install version 0.9.5b if you want to help us test KeeFox on Linux or Mac systems. There are no significant changes between version 0.9.5b and 0.9.5 so you're not missing out by moving to the development channel. 0.9.6b will be pushed to the development channel in a couple of weeks so if there are any important changes that need to be made to improve Linux and Mac support it would be great to hear about them soon.
If you have already upgraded to KeePass 2.18 before installing KeeFox 0.9.4 or later you will need to "paste and go" this URL in your location bar and click "Upgrade KeeFox":
There are no changes since the beta version 0.9.4b.
Full list of changes:
- Works with KeePass 2.18 (and installs it by default for new users)
- .NET installer is now .NET 4 (Client Profile)
- Firefox addon messaging service (FAMS) added to help new users with handy tips, other important messages and potentially future security notifications - see https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/keefox/wiki/Manual/Technical%20architecture/FAMS for more details
- Fixed bug that caused old style HTTP realm data, priority selection and alternative URL data to be lost under some circumstances during migration to the current advanced string formatting scheme
- Users of FF4 and above can now setup KeeFox automatically even if they have non-latin characters in their profile path
- Fixes #116 (bad regexp in any entry breaks keefox) - KeeFox no longer breaks and also notifies the user of the problematic regular expression
- Locales updated
- .NET framework detection considered successful if 2 or 4 installed (also should work on x64 FF builds now)
- New version of Jayrock libraries added; modified to work in .NET 4 Client Profile
- Projects/solution source code upgraded to run on VS2010
- other minor changes
Additionally KeeFox will no longer prompt to save a password if you're not logged into a KeePass database.
Note that a few strings are "NOT TRANSLATED" for non-English users - they shouldn't be crucial to understanding the add-on and will be replaced with correct translated versions as soon as possible. Sorry, this decision was the lesser of two evils!
See the release notes for 0.9.3a for more detail of the other minor changes included in this release.
Chinese (Simplified) (zh-CN)
This updates the default version of KeePass to 2.16 and adds the first two (incomplete) translations (Swedish and Russian).
- FIXED: Editing passwords with KeePassRPC GUI sometimes showed an empty password
- Master key entry dialog focuses correctly on all versions of Windows (most of the time)
- Improved form filling for some types of form
- New source URL for KeePass should work more reliably
A full record of changes is available in the changelog as usual: http://keefox.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/keefox/trunk/Firefox%20addon/CHANGELOG.txt
Apart from the switch to an automatic update system, there are a few other minor improvements too. Full details are available in the changelog as usual: http://keefox.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/keefox/trunk/Firefox%20addon/CHANGELOG.txt