To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
Classic Theme Restorer 1.4.3
Squared tabs, appmenu, add-on bar, small button view and many more 'old' features for Firefox 29+ (Windows / MacOSX / Linux).
All builds & changelogs on versions page!
About this Add-on
Main features (on options window)
- Tab appearance: squared classic tabs
- Tab appearance: curved tabs (all colored and visible)
- Tabs not on top + [tabsontop="false/true"] attribute
- Tabs height settings
- Tabs min/max-width settings
- Tab title in Firefox titlebar
- Tab loading animations
- Tab close on all tabs, active tab, toolbars start/end
- Custom 'new tab' page url (Firefox 41+)
- Double click on tabs toolbar opens a 'new' tab [Windows only]
- Hide tabs toolbar with one visible tab
- Custom colors for tab backgrounds, text and text shadow
- Custom tab separators
- Application button on toolbars (+ icon variations)
- Application button on titlebar [Windows only]
- Custom title for application button on titlebar [Windows only]
- Predefined/custom application button colors
- Small navigation toolbar buttons
- Movable back-forward buttons
- Alternative appearance for about:preferences page
- Open 'about:preferences' page in a window (simulates preference window)
- Alternative about:add-ons (add-ons manager) appearance (Firefox 40+)
- Show add-ons version number in add-ons manager (Firefox 40+)
- Activity indicator (throbber) on toolbars
- Bookmarks-star button in location bar
- Rss-Feed button in location bar
- Old Search ui for Firefox 43+
- Movable status-bar panel
- Additional location bar
- Combine stop & reload buttons
- Hide location bars stop, reload & go buttons
- Hide private browsing mask
- Findbar on top or bottom
- 'Icons & Text' and 'Text only' modes
- Add [iconsize="large"]/[iconsize="small"] attributes to #nav-bar node
- Compact panel menus (bookmarks, history...)
- Green/blue site identity button for verified websites and secure connections
- Replace context menu icons with labels (Back, Forward...)
- Add up to 20 additional toolbars to to top browsers area
- Restore empty favicon on tabs
- Replace generic favicon (empty and dotted) with sheet favicon
- Favicon in locations bars identity box (location bars left)
- Different padlock icons
- AeroBlue toolbar colors for Windows 8/XP/Classic, Linux, MacOSX
- Hide navigation toolbar
- Inverted (white) toolbar button icons
- Toolbar settings to alter colors, sizes, borders
- Disable some ui animations
- Force some toolbars to appear in fullscreen mode
- Remove title/menu/tabs toolbars background for Windows 10
- Disable browsers Loop (chat), Reader & Pocket features
- ...and more
Features (not on options window)
- about:preferences keeps last selected category/tab
- Enable/disable 'Add-on Bar' (toolbar context menu)
- Toggle 'Add-on Bar' using 'Ctrl + /' btw. 'Cmd + /'
- Enable/disable 'Additional Toolbar' (toolbar context menu)
- Spaces, Flexible spaces, Separators
- Bookmarks menu & sidebar buttons
- History menu & sidebar buttons
- Additional movable reload & stop buttons
- Movable urlbar container
- Movable (Firefox main) menu button
- Movable alltabs-button, webrtc-status-button, social-share-button
- ...and more
Default 'curved tabs' can be optionally replaced with classic 'squared tabs'.
Tabs on MacOSX look more like Windows tabs with MacOSX colors on purpose.
Curved alternative tabs
All tabs are curved and use colours known from squared tabs.
Tabs 'not' on top
Simulates 'tabs.onTop=false' setting and moves tabs below navigation toolbar. On MacOSX tabs also get a 'reversed appearance'.
Application button / application menu settings
Application button on [Firefox] titlebar [Windows only]
The titlebar button is fixed on titlebars left like on Firefox since version 4.0. It is enabled by default on Windows systems.
Application button on toolbars
On toolbars the button appears like a default toolbar button.
Application button colours
On titlebar and tabs toolbar the application button can be orange, blue (Aurora), black (Nightly), blue (Palemoon), red, green and gray in normal browsing mode and purple in private browsing mode like on previous Firefox versions.
The new appmenu is not an exact copy of the old one, but looks as original as possible. The 'splitmenu' will not be restored and the appmenu popup/submenus also miss some non-replicable menuitems.
Small navigation toolbar buttons
Navigation toolbar buttons get alternative margins and paddings to simulate old 'small icon view'.
Hide 'Navigation Toolbar'
Hiding navigation toolbar might be interesting after content got moved to other toolbars.
A toolbar at the bottom of the window. All movable buttons and items can be placed on it. Add-on bar can be enabled/disabled using toolbars context menu (right-click on a toolbar) or using 'Ctrl + /' (Windows/Linux) btw. 'Cmd + /' (MacOSX).
A toolbar between navigation toolbar and bookmarks toolbar. It can be enabled/disabled using toolbars context menu (right-click on a toolbar).
Icons + text / text only mode
Simulates old icons + text / text modes where text was displayed below toolbar buttons or button icons got hidden.
Bookmarks menu button
A default 'menu button' which opens the 'classic' bookmarks menu. Positioned on bookmarks toolbar the button also displays its label.
Bookmarks and history sidebar buttons
Buttons which toggle bookmarks and history sidebar.
Back-forward, reload and stop buttons
Browsers default buttons got merged with urlbar and cannot be moved to different toolbar positions or to different toolbars. CTR adds duplicates of these buttons to the customization palette.
Combined reload-stop button
Place reload button AFTER stop button and enable the corresponding option on CTRs preference window. Hovering the option on preference window to get extra information.
Spaces, flexible spaces and separators
These toolbar items appear in customizing mode and can be moved to toolbars like on previous Firefox versions.
Windows - Linux - MacOSX
This add-on was tested on Windows 7 (AeroBasic, AeroGlass, Classic) & 8(.1) & 10 & XP (Classic, Luna-Blue/Silver/Olive, Zune, Royale), Linux Mint KDE, Ubuntu and MacOSX 10.8/10.9/10.10. On other Systems or non OS-default themes tab colors may look wrong. Bookmarks, history, stop, reload, back and forward toolbar buttons use default OS icons (Firefox Windows icons on Windows systems, Firefox Mac icons on MacOSX and Firefox Linux icons on Linux systems).
Info, known 'issues', 'glitches', problems
1) Application menus 'cut', 'copy' and 'paste' buttons do not always work like they should.
2) Switching between AeroGlass and AeroBasic on Windows 7/Vista can change application buttons position, if the menubar is disabled. Maximizing/restoring browsers main window or restarting Firefox resolves the problem. This glitch is caused by Microsoft Windows and titlebars behavior and not by this add-on.
3) Entering and leaving customizing mode 'disables' right-click menu items for bookmarks inside bookmarks menu button. A restart resolves this issue.
4) Tab colors on MacOSX fit to current ui instead of using Firefox 28 colors. This is intended and not a bug.
5) It is strongly recommended to remove Foxtab and Shareaholic before installing Firefox 29 or newer, because both add-ons break Firefox ui in Fx29+. Using Foxtab and/or Shareaholic with CTR causes even more errors, because CTR allows to move/remove more items than the default Firefox does.
If one of these add-ons has corrupted the ui, the add-ons manager has to be accessed via menubar (right-click on a toolbar -> select menubar, Tools -> add-ons) and Shareaholic and Foxtab have to be uninstalled and CTR has to be disabled. After a browser restart, CTR can be enabled again. After another restart "restore defaults" in customizing mode has to be hit once.
It is recommended to switch to a clean new profile or at least to trigger "Restore Defaults" in customizing mode to avoid UI issues after upgrading from Firefox 28 (and older) to Firefox 29 (and newer). Profile Switcher can help too.
AVAST AV software,"Browser Cleanup" and disappearing Firefox add-ons
If Avasts "Browser Cleanup" still accidentally removes Firefox add-ons consider removing or disabling "Browser Cleanup" feature.
gHacks.net article (10 Reasons why you may want to try Firefox’s Classic Theme Restorer add-on)
[locale] Greek (el) translation updated (thanks to George M.)
[locale] Russian (ru) translation updated (thanks to Alexei)
[locale] Spanish (es) translation updated (thanks to strel)
[locale] Estonian (et) translation updated (thanks to Maidur)
[locale] Chinese (zh-CN) translation updated (thanks to Cye3s)
[locale] Slovenian (sl-SI) translation updated (thanks to Klofutar)
[locale] Ukrainian (uk) translation updated (thanks to Sacredwheels)
[locale] Czech (cs) locale updated (thanks to poljos)
[fix] Fx45+: 'hide padlock icons' & 'show security icons' options
[fix] Fx42+ & 'tabs not on top': issues with titlebar in some cases
[fix] Fx 45+: favicon in location bar
[fix] Fx 45+: padlock icon settings
[fix] Linux + 'tabs no on top': toolbar glitch
[fix] open 'about:preferences' in a window (v1/v2): sub dialog width
[fix] rare window glitch with TabMixPlus and some configurations
[fix] 'hide tabs bar with one tab' + pinned tabs: print preview
[fix] glitches in 'big icon mode'
[fix] Fx43+ & favicon in location bar: security icon for not secure connections
[fix] Windows & HiDPI: glitch with 'appbutton on titlebar (icon only)' option
[fix] CTR buttons on bookmarks bar & Fx44+: icon size glitch
[fix] Fx 40-42: search button glitch with CTRs simulated prefwindow
[fix] glitch with 'tab close at tab toolbars end' option and TabMixPlus add-on
[new options > General UI (1)] 'about:preferences window appearance v1/v2' for tabs
[new options > General UI (1)] 'about:preferences' in a window for complete themes
* should work with most complete themes
[new options > General UI (1)] 'about:preferences' in a window v2
* preview: http://i.imgur.com/2UbT7iw.png
[new option > Location bar] Fx40+: alternative 'reader' icons
[new option > Location bar] Fx42+: hide gray color when hovering identity box
[new option > General UI (1)] classic appearance for 'top level domain' images
[new option > General UI (1)] Firefox 44+: alternative appearance for alert notifications
[change] favion + padlock: switched positions to match upcoming Fx45+ behavior
[change] 'about:preferences' tab and window now remember last used category/tab
[change] "open 'about:preferences' in a window" options now...
... show a centered window on screen
... display an own 'Tools' menu entry on OSX
... show an own preferences toolbar button and hide the default one
[change] moved all 'about:preferences' options into one menulist
* previously used options have to be reset
[change] tweaks for 'alt. preferences appearance'
[change] prefwindow tweaks
[change] improved padlock icons
[change] option to colorize identity box for verified/secure connections:
* yellow (Fx42+) and red (Fx43+) button colors for unsecure/mixed connections
[change] Fx42-44 & mov. b/f buttons: page proxy icon spacing
[change] Windows Classic VS & text mode: button appearance
[change] Windows Classic VS & small buttons: button appearance
[change] Windows Classic VS & icons+text v3/4: button appearance
[change] Windows Classic VS & 'additional toolbar separators' option
Additional infor regarding "about:preferences in window" options
1. General > Homepage > 'Use Current page' will always add 'about:preferences' as homepage, because only 'about:preferences' is opened in that window.
There is no difference to browsers default preferences ui with only preferences tab open.
2. resizing the window is possible, but itd dimensions will not be saved
The Development Channel lets you test an experimental new version of this add-on before it's released to the general public. Once you install the development version, you will continue to get updates from this channel. To stop receiving development updates, reinstall the default version from the link above.
Caution: Development versions of this add-on have not been reviewed by Mozilla.
- Version 1.4.4beta5: