As alluded to here
the data for my original UK TV Guide and Search add-on is slowly atrophying. So, this is announcing its replacement: UK TV, and Radio, Guide and Search.
The reason for this is that the original data feed is being replaced with a completely new way of fetching the data. The old data feed is a sub-set of this new feed and is slated to be discontinued.
For old users it's pretty much business as usual, for the most part everything will look familiar, but there are a number of changes. We have more TV channels - so we should now have those 'missing' TV channels - we also have Radio channels. The main changes are:
• There are now listings for both TV and Radio.
• The Channel List can be filtered by Service: Freeview, Freesat, Virgin Media, Sky, etc.
• The Channel List can be filtered by Media: TV, or Radio.
• Genres get split between a Main Genre for the Guide Colours, and a much more detailed Sub Genre on the Search.More minor changes:
• For a selected Service you can show the Channel Numbers.
• Films now include a certificate rating: 18, 15, PG, and U.
• A new Attributes filter of: Audio Described (this is a feature for people with vision impairment. See here: RNIB
for information on how to access this feature on your TV).
• A few extra items (High Definition, Surround Sound, Audio Described, and Live) appear on the programme details panel.
• There maybe other minor things that I don't remember changing! :)Considerations:• When selecting channels I strongly recommend that you pick a Service other then All otherwise the list of channels can be overwhelming (and a little confusing).
• The new feed only carries 7 days of Schedule data, unlike the old feed that has 14 days. There's nothing I can do about this.
• Channel Numbers may not reflect regional variations. Hopefully, I have got the most common numbers.
• A Total Episodes value is currently not in the data feed.
• The Genres have not only changed but work slightly differently. I'm now capturing a Main, and a Sub Genre. On the Guide the Colours drop-down includes relatively few broad Genres, whereas on the Search you will now find a much more detailed list of Genres. Basically, I decided that the detailed Genres on the Guide was too much, and the broad Genres on the Search was too little.
• There is a 'Lucky Dip' of channels under the Service drop-down. These are channels that don't appear under any of the 'proper' Services. The Radio channels mainly seem to be for Local Radio. The TV channels mainly seem to be junk (and have no Schedule data). At some time in the future I may remove these channels.
• Fetching the Channel List can take some time therefore, once you have initially established the Channel List, I recommend that you check the 'Fetch Only Schedules' checkbox.
This will prevent the Channel List from being fetched each day. As the list of channels rarely changes, you probably only need to periodically uncheck this option, refresh the screen, and then recheck the option again, to keep the Channel List up to date.