Welcome to Thunderbird Add-ons.
Add extra features and styles to make Thunderbird your own.Close
About this Add-on
The main purpose is to:
- reduce size of image files (emails > 5 Mb are generally blocked by ISPs);
- give the image convenient dimensions for it to be visible directly in email client without using scrollbars.
Features are the following:
* All platforms are supported. Tested versions are:
- Windows: XP sp3 (x86), Seven Pro sp1 (x64)
- Linux: Mandriva 2011-2 (x86)
- Mac: OS X 10.7 / Lion (x64)
* Available languages are: french (fr-FR), english (en-US), swedish (sv-SE), icelandic (is-IS), dutch (nl-NL), german (de-DE)
* Inline images (directly inserted into mail body) and attachment images are handled.
* Supported image formats are: JPEG, PNG, BMP and GIF. JPEG and PNG formats are natively supported whereas BMP and GIF formats are converted to PNG format.
Nb: Resized BMP and GIF image files keep original extension (.bmp or .gif), even if they are encoded using PNG format.
* A toolbar button is added to composing window and allows to resize images. Its behaviour can be user-defined:
- resizing of inline images;
- resizing of attachment images.
* The toolbar button offers a quick settings menuitem to set main settings directly.
* An interactive mode allows to set on-the-fly main settings (dimensions, jpeg quality, name) for each image when resizing.
This mode offers also to keep current settings as settings for all other resizings through the session or to crush default settings.
* Settings dialog offers full control on how images are resized: inline and/or attachment images can be resized when:
- sending now;
- sending later;
- sending in background (a feature actually in development, have a look to this page for more information);
- saving message as draft;
- saving message as template;
- auto saving as draft.
For each mode, it's also possible to specify if undo is possible or not, and if resizing should be skipped if any image has already been resized (generally using dedicated custom button).
* Resized attachment images can be displayed with a user-chosen style in attachments pane (color, italic and/or bold).
* Resizing can be undone: it allows to roll back resized images to original versions. This is a real 'undo': resized images are replaced by original images.
* If message is saved in mailbox (draft, template, send later, etc.) it's still possible to resize or unresize images once the message is edited again. Nb: For attachment images undoing resizing is not possible.
* Images embedded into received messages which are replied to or transferred are handled as if they've just been added to message.
* Images added through a http(s) link are handled.
* Images can be reduced and/or enlarged regarding user-defined maximum and minimum width and height (Nb: Dimensions ratios are not altered).
* Only images which satisfy dimensions criteria (larger than maximum dimensions and smaller than minimum dimensions) are modified. Other images are kept unchanged.
* Images to resize can be filtered via filename criteria: regarding a user-defined list of patterns, image files can be included or excluded; regular expressions can be enabled or disabled for pattern definition.
* Images to resize can be filtered via format criteria (JPEG, PNG, BMP, GIF) based on file extension.
* Resized images can be renamed using a user-defined pattern. This feature is smarter enough to avoid doublons.
Renaming pattern can contain some meta-data like:
- original filename;
- file extension;
- resized image number (= index of image file in resizing queue);
- current date (format is editable);
- current time (format is editable).
* Resizing can be enabled/disabled regarding recipients of the message being composed: user can define separated white and black lists of patterns which can control if compression if skipped or not regarding if one or all email recipients match given patterns.
* Images can be forced to jpeg or png format.
* Composer window status bar is used to display information to user. Embedded progress bar is also used during image resizing.
* Behaviour, associations and messages of settings dialog have been designed to improve accessibility for non-sighted people.
* The add-on provides a 'debug mode' which writes information into embedded error console (see Tools > Error Console).
* Error and warning messages are also written into error console (regardless debug mode is enabled or not).
If for any kind of reason the add-on seems not to work properly, open error console and look for messages regarding add-on which could give you information about the issue (all messages are prefixed by add-on name).
If the issue is reproducible and you think it's an add-on bug:
Enable debug mode, and proceed again, then contact us and report us relevant and maximum information regarding the issue (screen captures are recommended).
Use also the 'log debug messages to file' feature to send us a full text log of console messages.
Auto Resize Image is the sequel of Auto Resize JPEG, developed by the same team. Here are differences:
- Auto Resize Image: TB v3 and upper / all platforms / JPEG, PNG, BMP and GIF formats
- Auto Resize JPEG: TB v1.5 - v3.2a1pre / Windows only / JPEG format only
* The addon is now compatible with Thunderbird from v42.* to v44.0.