What's New in Lightning 1.0 beta2
Lightning 1.0 beta2 is the latest release of our calendar extension for Mozilla Thunderbird®. We recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version.
The following features have been added to Lightning 1.0 beta2:
- You can now print out your tasks
- Improved calendar view navigation, performance improved
- Better error handling when adding or subscribing to calendars
- Allow setting different start and end timezones for events and tasks
- CalDAV support and interoperability with various CalDAV servers have
- Performance improvement and reduced network load when accessing certain CalDAV
servers (webdav-sync specification)
- The application stability, performance and memory consumption have been
- A full list of changes that have gone into this release can be found on
Rumbling Edge website.
Please read these notes and the bug filing instructions
before reporting any bugs to Bugzilla
Release Date: July 24th, 2010Installing
We provide Lightning for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X in a variety of languages. Windows users must have Windows XP or later. Mac OS X users need to use MAC OS X 10.4 or later.IMPORTANT:
Install the updated timezones for Windows XP or later. Information on obtaining the updated timezones can be found in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 955839
. Not updating your Windows timezones will result in unreliable and erroneous display and entry of time data! Be sure to do this!
Lightning runs as an extension for Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.x. Thunderbird 2.0.0.x or 3.0.x is no longer supported. Please use the earlier 1.0b1 (Thunderbird 3.0.x) or 0.9 (Thunderbird 2.0.0.x) release if you still use an earlier version of Thunderbird.
If you are using Seamonkey, please also use the older Lightning 1.0b1. This release doesn't support Seamonkey, but the next release will likely do so again.
- Right-click (Control-click on Mac) the download link and choose "Save Link As..." to download and save the .XPI file to your your hard disk
- In Mozilla Thunderbird, under the "Tools" menu, open the "Add-ons Manager"
- Click the "Install" button, locate and select the .XPI file you downloaded in step 1, and click "OK"
- Restart Mozilla Thunderbird
This list covers the major known issues with Lightning 1.0 beta2. Please read this list before reporting any new bugs.All Systems
- Lightning 1.0 beta2 will attempt to guess your timezone on startup. As this
is only a best guess, you must manually set the timezone
in the Thunderbird Preferences/Options dialog before entering data. Not
doing so may cause events to appear at the wrong time
- The experimental support for viewing remote calendars
offline has various known issues in the area of performance and calendar
data display. It does not support the offline editing of events and tasks
- It is impossible to load several calendars with different passwords on
the same server.
- "By weekday" and "by day" recurrence types (such as "recur on the last
weekday of the month") are not supported.
- Concurrent editing of remote calendars by multiple users can lose data.
- There are intermittent issues when modifying occurrences of recurring
events via iMIP and Copy/Paste.
- Under some instances the "Do you want to save your changes" dialog does
not come up when editing events in the event dialog.
- Multiple windows of the same single event can be opened from the Agenda,
the task list and the unifinder.
- E-Mail invites sent out by Lightning in Outlook 2000/2002/XP compatibility
mode, will only be shown by Outlook 2000 if the Service Pack 3 (SP3) has been
- Popup alarms/reminders don't work with WCAP server
- Adding events or tasks to a CalDAV calendar whose display has been turned off,
will not re-enable the display of that calendar.
- Lightning cannot send out task invitations and you cannot accept or decline
task invitations from within your e-mail inbox.
- There are interoperability issues with versions of the DAViCal (RSCDS)
CalDAV server prior to release 0.9.5. People using earlier releases of
DAViCal are advised to stay with Lightning 0.8 until they can upgrade their
DAViCal installation to the current version.
- Events with an UID that contains '/' are not displayed
- Due to an internal database upgrade, the first startup after upgrading
from an earlier version might be slow. This is a one-time issue and will not happen again.
- Lightning breaks viewing RSS feeds when changing layout mode (wide, vertical, ...)
- Printing a calendar does not work on the first attempt, but will work on the following attempts. (bug 351581)
Thanks to the hard work of our localization teams
, Lightning 1.0 beta2 ships with the following locales pre-installed:
- Basque - Euskara
- Catalan - Català
- Chinese (Simplified) - 中文 (简体)
- Chinese (Traditional) - 中文 (繁體)
- Czech - Čeština
- Danish - Dansk
- Dutch - Nederlands
- English (United States)
- Estonian - Eesti keel
- French - Français
- Frisian - Frysk
- German - Deutsch
- Hungarian - Magyar
- Indonesian - Bahasa Indonesia
- Irish - Gaeilge
- Italian - Italiano
- Japanese - 日本語
- Korean - 한국어
- Lithuanian - lietuvių
- Norwegian (Bokmål) - Norsk bokmål
- Norwegian (Nynorsk) - Norsk nynorsk
- Polish - Polski
- Portuguese (Brazilian) - Português (do Brasil)
- Portuguese (Portugal) - Português (Europeu)
- Punjabi - ਪੰਜਾਬੀ
- Russian - Русский
- Sinhala - සිංහල
- Slovak - Slovenský
- Slovenian - Slovenščina
- Spanish (Latin America) - Español (de América)
- Spanish (Spain) - Español (de España)
- Turkish - Türkçe
- Ukrainian - украї́нська мо́ва
- Vietnamese - Tiếng Việt