To try the thousands of add-ons available here, download Mozilla Firefox, a fast, free way to surf the Web!Close
Welcome to Firefox Add-ons.
Choose from thousands of extra features and styles to make Firefox your own.Close
About this Add-on
There are some existing addons for this purpose. However, this is defferent from others on the point: this addon unloads only the current contents and fastload caches for "Back"/"Forward", so it don't break metadata related to tabs and provides ability to suspend/restore tabs with less side effects. (On the other hand, because this addon calls very unstable/internal APIs of Firefox itself, this can be disabled by Firefox's update in the future.)
Other similar addons overwrites tab state or close the original tab after duplication, so they can break other tab related addons like Tree Style Tab ( http://piro.sakura.ne.jp/xul/_treestyletab.html.en ). This is started to be developed to solve such compatibility issues.
Similar or Related Extensions
"I cannot trust such an addon which calls internal APIs. Is there any other alternatives which is based on stable/public APIs?"
=> Dormancy ( https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/dormancy/ ) and UnloadTab ( https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/unloadtab/ ) suspend tabs via public APIs, so they are often stabler than this addon.
"I hope to save my CPU resources instead of the memory."
=> Suspend background tabs ( https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/suspend-background-tabs/ ) doesn't unload tabs but stops scripts in background pages.
- Works on Nightly 47.0a1.
- Supports e10s.
- Add "Don't suspend this site automatically" to the tab context menu.
- Detect host name of web pages more correctly.
- Visibility options for menu items work correctly.
- Next focused tab after the current tab is suspended is now configurable.
- Newly opened background tabs can be suspended by default.
- Features are available from the context menu on the contents area.
- Provide ability to limit the number of on-memory tabs.
This add-on is not compatible with your version of Firefox because of the following: