all music you listen on the web to your Last.fm
profile. With FoxyScrobbler, you can also love and tag songs you listen to on the web. The ultimate aim of FoxyScrobbler is to support as many music sites as possible!
FoxyScrobbler requires that you have a Last.fm
account, and that you authorize FoxyScrobbler to submit scrobbles, tags and "loved" status of songs you listen to. You can also optionally provide FoxyScrobbler with your Last.fm
username, in order to access your "Top Tags", while tagging artists and songs.
Supported music services (more support coming soon!):
- Sound Cloud
Current features include:
- Enable/disable scrobbling on each individual supported site
- Tries to fix gibberish in Youtube and Sound Cloud titles before scrobbling (eg. Threshold - This is Your Life [z0mg ~*cool*~ **NEW** version] --> Threshold - This is Your Life)
- Only scrobbles YouTube videos categorized as "music"
- Love tracks
- Tag currently playing artist and track
- Unobtrusive notifications (can be turned off)
- Temporarily disable scrobbling - for when it's time to listen to guilty pleasures!
: Scrobbling YouTube and Sound Cloud completely depends upon the correct song information being present in the titles. FoxyScrobbler assumes the general format "Artist - Song Title (optional version info)" in the titles of YouTube and Sound Cloud, because there is no consistent meta data available on these sites. But unfortunately, a lot of uploaders on these sites like to abuse the titles by adding a lot of gibberish, which is pretty much impossible to interpret (but FoxyScrobbler tries hard to make sense of these gibberish titles before giving up).
--------KNOWN BUG, AND A WORKAROUND
There have been about a dozen reports of FoxyScrobbler not asking for authentication from Last.fm
, which is required for scrobbling. All reports so far have been from Windows 7 64 bit (11)
and Mac OSX Mountain Lion (1)
. FoxyScrobbler automatically asks for authentication on browser restart, but on the above mentioned systems, for some reason it does not. There is a workaround, mentioned here
(towards the bottom of the post), which will fix the issue. Please follow the steps below:
- Open a new tab in Firefox, and type in about:config (if you get a warning screen, tick the checkbox and proceed further)
- In the search box above, type in extensions.foxyscrobbler
- Now, in the results below, look for two preference names: extensions.foxyscrobbler.token and extensions.foxyscrobbler.sessionid
- Right-click these two preferences and select "Reset". This will set them to the default empty string.
Now, go to one of the supported sites and play a song (eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJm6b-o2pTM
). FoxyScrobbler should now ask for authorization from Last.fm
. Once you provide authorization, FoxyScrobbler will start scrobbling from the next song onwards (try a related music video from the previous link, for example).